Eva on Cartoon Network (Update! - First Episode Airs Tonight!)

Pero_Is_Crying 07-03-2005 02:45 PM
This is excellent news! Does this mean CN has a shot at Shadow Chronicles when/if it comes out?
BabyGhia 07-03-2005 02:55 PM
Eva on AS is certainly a shock. Be interesting to see. Certainly will be a different show for them. I think I'll watch just to see what they change.

Discussions on the show should be fun. Wink

BabyGhia
The Fallen Phoenix 07-03-2005 03:25 PM
I fear such a thing ever occuring. I would not at all be surprised if Evangelion was at all edited, even if it is shown on Adult Swim.

Nevertheless, it certainly would be good for the anime community...it certainly is an excellent anime if people give it a chance (like most anime, really).

Still, I won't cast judgment 'till I see it. Though it would be interesting if Adult Swim airs the Director's Cuts--presuming Evangelion does air on Adult Swim, of course. I have seen a couple of them, and they are rather intriguing...

Macross would be amazing, too.
Schwarzwald_X 07-03-2005 04:13 PM
Oh God....
I haven't seen much Eva... but from the way people rave about it... I've kind of grown a hatred for it. Nonetheless, this'll be an interesting time for CN. It would be rather hilarious if it aired on Toonami though- the whole show would be one giant edit. Macross... sadly, I can't express too much happiness for this one either. Isn't it the first saga of Robotech?
Tabris-kun 07-03-2005 10:33 PM
I wonder if they'll show the movies.

Feels good to be back!
Amaya-chan 07-04-2005 12:19 AM
I've only seen the first four epsiodes, so I'm kinda glad this is happening. It'll give me a chance to see the whole series so I can decide if it's worth buying the DVDs. Still quite amazing, though, given the content of the show...
Schoolie 07-04-2005 09:02 AM
What are the main differences between the original series and the Director's Cut/Platinum editions? I heard they cleaned up the animation and smoothed out the cuts from scene to scene. Did they add much in the way of content?
IanC 07-04-2005 11:48 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Schoolie
What are the main differences between the original series and the Director's Cut/Platinum editions? I heard they cleaned up the animation and smoothed out the cuts from scene to scene. Did they add much in the way of content?

They are 2 completely different things.

The directors cut of episode 22-24 where simply adding new footage that was used in the DoR movie (i think)

The platinum edition (or Renewal as its called in Japan) was a complete clean up of every single episode, including the DC versions of the episodes.
BigPrime 07-05-2005 03:35 PM
The Director's Cuts of the last few episodes are really nothing of the sort. They're simply the episodes as they were originally aired in Japan. For some reason (known only to God and ADV Films), ADV cut several scenes from its original release of Evangelion. Years later they went back and said "oh, that was really stupid of us, wasn't it?" and put the scenes back in, relreleasing the last 2 discs as "Director's Cuts" and then releasing the uncut, re-mastered Platinum Editions shortly thereafter.
IanC 07-05-2005 04:52 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BigPrime
The Director's Cuts of the last few episodes are really nothing of the sort. They're simply the episodes as they were originally aired in Japan. For some reason (known only to God and ADV Films), ADV cut several scenes from its original release of Evangelion. Years later they went back and said "oh, that was really stupid of us, wasn't it?" and put the scenes back in, relreleasing the last 2 discs as "Director's Cuts" and then releasing the uncut, re-mastered Platinum Editions shortly thereafter.

What the hell are you talking about?

The directors cuts are NOTHING of the sort. They are what the name implies, a DC of the bordcast episodes.

From Animeondvds review of the original Directors Cut release:
quote:
It’s been just over two and a half years since the original volume of the broadcast versions of the episodes was released, so there has certainly been enough time between the two releases to bring out the Directors Cut without feeling like you were going to be gouging the fans. These episodes are a hard sell to begin with, at least in my mind, since while they may be common knowledge among the hardcore and the online fans, the general buying public that bought the series won’t have much of a clue about it.

Each of the three episodes now runs closer to thirty minutes each, providing a few minutes of new animation and dialogue in each one of them, expanding scenes or adding new ones in there. Dialogue is also reworked in various scenes to adjust for this or to correct some things that may have been done in haste during the original broadcast. For the casual fan, which I still consider myself one of, I noticed what’s likely just a fraction of the new material. While I enjoy the series a great deal, I’ve never been terribly hardcore about it and gone through the various versions of the episodes or the numerous variations of the two films. So while I enjoyed this a lot, and could tell a few new scenes here and there, there is no way this review will sate the hardcore fan who can recite all of the changes on demand.

The new scenes I did notice were quite good and added some new depths to the show that were implied before but not fully voiced.

I would think that if you said was true there would of been a HUGE uproar about this AGGGES ago
C.R Foxhound 07-05-2005 06:08 PM
Hmm, maybe i need to re-watch the show but...

I really didnt think the series was THAT bad content wise-im mean im watching and im like "Hey, this aint so bad". Parts, yea, but its notlike theresi nudity or F-bombs every other sentence (Like Outlaw Star, man, i bought the Original DVD collection, how the hell did that show get on Toonami of all places,sheesh, even in the first ep)

But its been a few months since ive watched the show so maybe i don know what the hell im talking about...

Now the movies on the other hand...yea....
Green_Bird 07-07-2005 01:10 AM
Is offical....AS will run it....

quote:

Adult Swim Announces Evangelion
Official Statement from Adult Swim
----------------------
An official announcement regarding Neon Genesis Evangelion airing on Adult Swim has been made on the Adult Swim message board (registration required).

Although no air date has yet been decided, Adult Swim will, in the near future, air the classic anime show Neon Genesis Evangelion. NGE is the story of Shinji Ikari, a teenage boy recruited by his estranged father to pilot the giant Evangelion Unit-01 to defend the earth against a horde of monsterous, invading alien creatures known as the Angels. A unique mix of exceptional battle scenes, religious symbolism, psychological storytelling and teenage angst, Neon Genesis Evangelion has been referred to by many as one of the greatest anime shows ever made.

Thanks to Todd for this item.
Wingnut 07-07-2005 09:37 AM
Excellent. Time to see first hand a series I have only learned about via the internet and SRW videos.
FEI the avarage EVA unit is hieght and a half of Big O. aka 1,5 times the size of our avarage megadeus.
Mr. Fortnight 07-07-2005 01:24 PM
Now I have to laugh.

One of the greatest Anime ever made? COME ON! EVA is the most OVERRATED ever made. It will be fully illustrated when EVA is shown.

That luster that the fanboys have given it will be blown off revealing it's only average production values and almost laughable plot.
Tickle Tickle 07-07-2005 01:58 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Minneapolis
One of the greatest Anime ever made? COME ON! EVA is the most OVERRATED ever made.

not as overrated as FLCL, but yeah it's better damn overrated..

Unless they show the Director's Cut episodes, I doubt there will be any edits. Unless my memory is foggy, we don't really see any body naked (aside from Shinji and I think Kaworu) I know Rei is nude a few times, but I think everything was covered up. And I believe the language is pretty tame too. I just hope they air the opening.

EDIT:

Semi-offtopic but, does the Evangelion Plantium's box have space for the two movies?
The Fallen Phoenix 07-08-2005 07:35 AM
quote:
Now I have to laugh.

One of the greatest Anime ever made? COME ON! EVA is the most OVERRATED ever made. It will be fully illustrated when EVA is shown.

That luster that the fanboys have given it will be blown off revealing it's only average production values and almost laughable plot.

I think the problem is that because Evangelion fanboys have hyped the series up so much, many people who then see it for the first time are disappointed by it. Though I refuse to argue here whether that means Evangelion should not be considered a great anime, I do think that it is equally unfair to belittle the series as much as it is. Honestly, I have seen the series belittled nearly as much as it has been hyped, and I do agree that both are wrong.

So while I agree that it may be overrated, I also think a very strong case can be made that Evangelion is indeed one of the more influential anime. All of this, however, is a discussion for another topic...

In any case, thanks for the information Green_Bird, and I know I myself will certainly keep my eye out for more details as they emerge.
Mr. Fortnight 07-10-2005 11:52 PM
Well, there are a couple episodes of NGE I'm interested in. I do want to see the beginning again, as well as Episode 10. But for all honesty, I'm not going to be gushing over this one.
Zopwx2 07-11-2005 01:05 AM
quote:
Originally posted by The Fallen Phoenix
quote:
Now I have to laugh.

I think the problem is that because Evangelion fanboys have hyped the series up so much, many people who then see it for the first time are disappointed by it. Though I refuse to argue here whether that means Evangelion should not be considered a great anime, I do think that it is equally unfair to belittle the series as much as it is. Honestly, I have seen the series belittled nearly as much as it has been hyped, and I do agree that both are wrong.

So while I agree that it may be overrated, I also think a very strong case can be made that Evangelion is indeed one of the more influential anime. All of this, however, is a discussion for another topic...

In any case, thanks for the information Green_Bird, and I know I myself will certainly keep my eye out for more details as they emerge.

I win becuase I watched the entire show and the movie within the course of one weekend with almost zero hype / spoilers.

So maybe thats why I like Eva, although I'm reluctanct to call it the "greatest ever", "masterpiece", etc.
BigPrime 07-11-2005 07:24 AM
quote:
Originally posted by IanC
quote:
Originally posted by BigPrime

What the hell are you talking about?

The directors cuts are NOTHING of the sort. They are what the name implies, a DC of the bordcast episodes.

ADV cut several scenes from the last few episodes of Eva, this is well known, has been since the VHS releases. They include a cut bit around the destruction of Unit - 00 as well as brief shots of Adam in Gendo's hand. These *were* in the original Japanese TV broadcast of the episodes, ADV cut them for God-knows what reason. There are no similar "Director's Cut" releases in Japan, only the original release and the remastered release issued here as the Platinum Edition.

On a somewhat related note, someone was wondering if this would mean that the movies would be aired here. I'll venture this: don't count on it. Not even counting the content issues which go above and beyond the series, their US rights aren't held by ADV (who own the series), but by Manga.
Tickle Tickle 07-11-2005 10:58 AM
quote:
Originally posted by BigPrimeADV cut several scenes from the last few episodes of Eva, this is well known, has been since the VHS releases. They include a cut bit around the destruction of Unit - 00 as well as brief shots of Adam in Gendo's hand. These *were* in the original Japanese TV broadcast of the episodes, ADV cut them for God-knows what reason.

Where did you hear this from? ADV didn't cut out anything. If I remeber correctly, the 'director cut' scenes were parts removed for the LCD release.