Hotel Rwanda

Collateral 06-30-2005 07:56 PM
I know this movie came out a while ago but there is not a thread on it so I decided to put one up. I saw it recently for AP History summer work.

Here is my review of it:

The film is based on the heroic story of Paul Rusesabagina a hotel owner who housed more than a thousand Tutsi and Hutu refugees in his hotel. The movie did an excellent job in trying to prove a point but in doing so it failed to show and explain why the Hutus wanted the demise and extermination of all the Tutsis. It simply says they wanted revenge yet it fails to show the torment that the Tutsis put on the Hutus. Of course, as I said before the movie did an excellent job putting forth its meaning but in result concluded in a one-sided story.

The film’s purpose is to show the world that they should not turn away from that which they are afraid of. In the movie, it portrays the Hutus as cruel and harsh- the villains and bad guys of the story if you will. It also represents the Tutsis as the victims of the story- scared and afraid- but also makes some strong.

The Hutus continued to call the Tutsis names such as “cockroaches” or other objects that are not human. This is similar the Holocaust where Jews were referred to as mere numbers and such.

I believe that one of the most emotional and important scenes in the movie would be the one where the UN in the red are making all the non-citizens leave. It shows how so many wanted to help yet couldn’t because they were forced out. Being as how the movie’s purpose was to show the world how we should not turn away from a country this scene proved to be the most affective and it even made me want to go out and save a few lives myself.

There did seem to be closure because in the end they were all a happy family including the nieces.

Alright! So what did y'all think?
Sharpshooter005 06-30-2005 08:07 PM
quote:
So what did y'all think?

I..think I should probably go rent it eventually, since it seems to have gotten glowing reviews fairly universally.
Collateral 06-30-2005 08:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
quote:
So what did y'all think?

I..think I should probably go rent it eventually, since it seems to have gotten glowing reviews fairly universally.

It was very good and I do recommend watching it. You might cry. I didn't but I was on the verge several times.
David Ryder 07-01-2005 03:28 PM
I watched it with my mom and dad, and yes i did cry. It was an excellent movie.
dawnstrider 07-01-2005 04:20 PM
I've been intending to see this movie for some time Smile . I hear a lot about it, and it's nice to have a clear voice about this genocide more or less from the perspectives of those that lived it. I definitely think that I'll rent it if I see it at any video stores Smile .

quote:
The movie did an excellent job in trying to prove a point but in doing so it failed to show and explain why the Hutus wanted the demise and extermination of all the Tutsis. It simply says they wanted revenge yet it fails to show the torment that the Tutsis put on the Hutus.

Yeah....its a whole strewn of complex reasons that went into the "extermination", and explaining thaem would have taken a film unto itself. I'm in the process of several writings about African history, and the dynamics of Rwanda and and the other former Great Lakes kingdoms from centuries back had several consequences for what's happening today Smile .

Peace Cool
Tickle Tickle 07-01-2005 06:35 PM
We watched this movie in World History. I really got into it, almost had me crying. I really liked the ending.