The Fantastic 4

Jonny Axehandle 06-29-2005 05:15 PM
Geez. The movie is almost out and no one has made a topic. This movie looks freaking awesome from what I've seen. I hope it can measure up to the standard Spiderman has set for the Marvel movies.
Travis Bickle 06-29-2005 05:20 PM
The first time I saw Johnny Storm jump off that building and scream "FLAME ON" in the trailer, I almost cried with joy.

I'll be there opening day.
Zopwx2 06-29-2005 06:42 PM
It seems cheesy in a fun way, lots of one liners and unrealistic action.

But with movies as expensive as they are around here, and my general non interest... I'll catch it on DVD.
Hienrich Ele 06-29-2005 06:51 PM
DVD movie for me. Still haven't forgiven Marvel for their little scuffle with City of Heroes. And, plus, you know... I am a DC guy myself...

Doesn't look bad, though.
StevieV019 06-30-2005 09:23 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Bleedthrough
The first time I saw Johnny Storm jump off that building and scream "FLAME ON" in the trailer, I almost cried with joy.

I'll be there opening day.

EXACTLY!! That was strictly awesome...the distant echo you hear as he does that totally draws you in..."Flame On!".

Granted, Im not much of a Fantastic Four fan...wont be there opening day or night...but Ill probably see it...I mean, cant go wrong with Jessica Alba, right??
Sephiroth 06-30-2005 09:33 AM
Well, my mom has been a HUGE Fantastic Four fan for years. She started me off on it when the old cartoon premiered on FOX (I think). Since then, I too have been a fan of Fantastic Four, and they were really the first super heroes to whom I devoted a regular following. The movie is looking pretty awesome, however they seem to have changed Dr. Doom's origins which bother me a bit. I won't be going to see it opening day simply because I probably won't have time. I will however, be going to see it soon after it opens. I am too great a fan to miss it.
thebravest1 06-30-2005 09:53 AM
I can honistly say that I love the Fantastic 4 and can't wait to see this movie. "It's clobering time!"
Collateral 06-30-2005 07:58 PM
Being a superhero fan and a fan of the fantastic four I have to see this movie!
Sharpshooter005 06-30-2005 08:05 PM
This is going to flop, or at least not be as successful as what its trying to be.

Just like "Hulk" couldn't ride the wave of successful comic book movies, I doubt this will.

The fantastic four? Well known, but...not as big as Spiderman or Batman in terms of fanbase.

The movie itself? The special effects look nice, but otherwise it dosen't have much. As far as stars, the only two with name recogntion are Jessica Alba, and Michael Chicklis (and probably not as much as what you've got in other movies).

I'm not..chomping at the bit to see this, but I really only remember the fantastic four from mentions in other comics. They locked up Venom once, but he managed to get out (..he's venom. Of course he'll find a way out), thats basically it as far as how much I know about the entire fantastic four franchise. Also I had a Dr. Doom action figure, and his hand would rotate if you turned a crank on the back. He looked kind of cool.

Point is, I doubt this will hit #1
Patsai 07-03-2005 07:53 PM
I've never heard of Fantastic Four before, but I am slightly interested because this is supposed to be the only superheroes in both the Marvel and DC comics that don't hide their identity in any way. A cool concept considering how bad guys could suddenly pray on their loved ones.
Travis Bickle 07-08-2005 07:49 PM
I just got back from it.

Picture this:

One of those awful Lifetime movies about a woman who gets into a terrible accident.

Now multiply it by 5, but make 4 of the clones men...

Take one of the men and cross breed him with Kevin Spacey and one of the "Fab 5" from Queer Eye for the Straight Guy.

Add terrible humor, a Stan Lee cameo, a blind girl, some dramatic emotional scenes, product placing, sh**ty actors, and terrible special effects.

Take the script and dumb it down a bit

Put a decent budget behind it.

Stir and serve.

What a piece of crap. And Hollywood wants to know why the box office is failing?

I've now added it to my list of the 10 worst movies of all time.

-Scott
Zopwx2 07-08-2005 09:18 PM
quote:
I just got back from it.

Picture this:

One of those awful Lifetime movies about a woman who gets into a terrible accident.

Take one of the men and cross breed him with Kevin Spacey and one of the "Fab 5" from Queer Eye for the Straight Guy.

Add terrible humor, a Stan Lee cameo, a blind girl, some dramatic emotional scenes, product placing, sh**ty actors, and terrible special effects.

Stir and serve.

What a piece of crap. And Hollywood wants to know why the box office is failing?

-Scott

WOW.

I knew it wasnt't going to be great... but that bad?
David Ryder 07-08-2005 09:40 PM
quote:
I just got back from it.

Picture this:

Stir and serve.

-Scott

Dang. I didn't think it was going too be that great but it must be a real stink feast. I'll take your word on it.
Hienrich Ele 07-08-2005 10:10 PM
Beautiful title for your post, sir.

Lifetime movie? Ugh... Definitley a "wait for DVD" movie, then.

quote:

Ewwwwwwwww.....
Sephiroth 07-09-2005 05:11 PM
Well, I just got back from it, and I am in no way awed. It was a pretty average super hero movie. It seemed to me, to have been made for a younger crowd, like the 12-14 age bracket. Most of the jokes seemed geared towards that sect, as I chuckled at perhaps, 2 of them. The main problem I had, was that it was too slow.The first hour and 20 minutes had little to no action at all, while the last few minutes were filled with a brief and unexciting fight scene. I felt the actors did fit their roles well, though the overall writing and pacing was just not up to par. I enjoyed Stan Lee's appearence, as he is a pretty cool guy over all. The final problem I had with it (and this is just nitpicking) is that they reworked Dr. Doom's story. He should not have electrical powers. Period. He SHOULD live in Latveria. His mask was a gift from the people? Why would anyone give that as a gift??? He should have been, a normal person, limited by the powers of a robotic armor. Sorry, I am a Dr. Doom fan. This was by far, an average movie, no where near the calibur of Batman Begins. Marvel had best step up on its movies, or else DC will take the seat of best super hero films.

On a different note, I at least got to see the preview for Tim Burton's The Corpse Bride, and it looks awesome. Hearing the song "What's This?" again, and seeing the claymation in action once more, blew me away.
Lupin IV 07-09-2005 09:07 PM
I haven't seen it (I really have no 'want' to see it) but I've heard from many many people including the media that this movie really blows. I think Rotten Tomatoes has it at like 30% or something Shocked

spoiler (highlight to read):
The Thing with a girlfriend?...lol Does the fact that she's blind make the relationship somehow more believable? Tongue Roll Eyes )

quote:
Originally posted by Sephiroth
Hearing the song "What's This?" again, and seeing the claymation in action once more, blew me away.

Very cool Cool
Sephiroth 07-09-2005 09:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Lupin IV
I haven't seen it (I really have no 'want' to see it) but I've heard from many many people including the media that this movie really blows. I think Rotten Tomatoes has it at like 30% or something Shocked

spoiler (highlight to read):
The Thing with a girlfriend?...lol Does the fact that she's blind make the relationship somehow more believable? Tongue Roll Eyes )

quote:
Hearing the song "What's This?" again, and seeing the claymation in action once more, blew me away.

Very cool Cool

Dude, I hate to point this out, but The Thing always had a girlfriend. And she has always been blind. Her dad happens to be a super villian as well.
Lupin IV 07-10-2005 10:30 AM
Really? Ok, then I guess I can't blame the movie version then. I'm not big on the F4, so I didn't know that.
Collateral 07-13-2005 03:29 PM
quote:

Are you serious?!?!?! OMG! That is one of my favorite songs! I guess that gives me something to look forward to being as how I am going to see Fantastic 4 tonight. For some reason I feel absolutely compelled to watch it. Confused Who knows why...

I'll post my review soon!
Nine Kuze 06-19-2007 02:54 PM
If you haven't noticed by now, I'm playing the "I'm f***in' lazy" card.

I'm using Jonny's thread for the discussion of the FF sequel, Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer.

Straight up, its better than the second one, is less campy but still is a bad summer blockbuster with hardly any substance and lots of CGI. Basically the main attraction in this movie is the Silver Surfer and if you were mad about how Sam Raimi treated Venom in Spider-Man 3, then like me, you'll probably be pissed on how Tim Story screwed up the Silver Surfer.

Basically it goes a little something like this; the Silver Surfer comes to Earth and is causing unnatural disaters all over the planet (snowing in Egypt, destruction in China, etc, etc...) and he crashes Reed Richards and Susan Storm's wedding. The Human Torch follows him but the Surfer catches him and tosses him aside from space like this cigarette I'm finishing. He then encounters Doctor Doom and blasts him away as well. From this comes the plan to stop the Silver Surfer (I know, funny right?); the plan was to use a barrier machine to separate the board from Surfer and with that, the Surfer will be a helpless sack of sh**. Which he was. Which pissed me off.

Look the Silver Surfer is one of the most powerful beings in the Marvel Universe. Is he more powerful with his board, yes he is. Is he going to be completely powerless and helpless if he gets separated from it? Hell no. I understand the fact that the filmmakers couldn't have an unstoppable force against the Fantastic Four since that would be uninteresting but come on, this was idiotic. Sorry, comic fanboy rage and all that. And for the love of the cosmos, don't get me started on that bullsh** they are calling Galactus...

The film has interesting use of CGI, involving a fight between Doctor Doom and the Four and the overall quality is better than the first one. Its looks like the actors are more comfortable in their roles (no, that doesn't mind Jessica Alba can act all of a sudden), the chemistry seems more fresh and the whole family attitude that the FF are all about can be seen more and is more accessible as well.

Like I said, it was better than the first one but still not as good as the other comic book adaptations (hell, Superman was better than this). Also, it was funny seeing Stan Lee get turned away from the wedding.
Peace.