Dave Matthews Band: A Rant

Travis Bickle 06-25-2005 12:47 AM
I went to Best Buy today to pick up a couple of things as a gift for a friend's birthday. I was browsing the CD section as usual when I came across this:

An entire shelf dedicated to Dave Matthews Band, one of the most overrated groups that currently exist on the Billboard charts.

Now that's a heavily opinionated and terrible generalization I just made. What reason do I have to say such a thing?

Well, I saw the druggie bastard at his famous Central Park concert , where my friend made me get there terribly early so we could be "really close to Dave". Everyone around us was high as holy hell and raising their arms, lighters, and even children to the music. It was like a goddamn Christian Rock concert, except instead of feeling the spiritial effects of being one with god, everyone was feeling the physical and psychological effects of pot and acid. The music the man played was mundane, boring and soft. Don't get me wrong. I like soft music, but I don't like the same old crap cryptically repeated for a few hours.

I also work at Starbucks, where his latest cd "Stand Up" is on sale and constantly being played in the background (along with the new and equally crappy releases from Alanis Morisette and Coldplay). So, so far, I've been forced to listen to the new album at least 15 times. Why are all these young girls creaming their pants over this f***ing hippie who doesn't have that good a voice? Hell, one of my coworkers has an amazing voice. She deserves a record contract more than Matthews does. After Under The Table and Dreaming (which I would give probobly a 6 out of 10 at best), it should have ended. But it kept going. After Glen Ballard (of Jagged Little Pill fame) almost effectively killed the band with a piece of crap album, DMB wouldn't go down without a fight! They released even more crap, including several crappy live albums.

There are many more artists that have more talent in their pinky than Dave Matthews has in his whole body (even after smoking an ounce of hash). Take, for example, the Eels. The lead singer Mark Everett (or E, for short), is an exceptionally better guitarist, singer and songwriter (of course, this is in my opinion, as well as the Village Voice, Time Out New York and other local NYC magazines/newspapers) than Dave Matthews, but goes unnoticed in records sales and radio/tv play. This is greatly due to the fact of poor sales, which occur because of...well...this:

I had to dig around just to find it, and they had 5 Eels cds for sale, as opposed to Mr. Matthew's massive turd pile. If they weren't put aside so Dave Matthews could have his giant collection of crap, then they actually might be somewhere other than struggling to get funds for their next album and their next tour, and possibly making a few dollars here and there to...you know...feed the kids and wife and such. But it's more important for Mr. Matthews and his half-assed backing band to be able to buy their fancy cars, big homes, and dimebags of marijuana, cocaine and heroin.

What I'm trying to say is that great musicians go unnoticed every day while the same crappy bands pull another generic album out of their ass and go triple platinum. And the masses just eat it up, quoting the mundane lyrics in their AIM profiles, discussing it while shopping at the Gap, and...well...you get the picture.

Never underestimate the stupidity of the American public.

-Scott
TanookiJoe 06-25-2005 01:02 AM
The massive popularity of Dave Matthews and Co. has always confounded me.

Maybe Dave Matthews is a modern Tom Walker?
Sharpshooter005 06-25-2005 01:37 AM
quote:
quoting the mundane lyrics in their AIM profiles

Don't forget their livejournals!

Well..this is when they aren't writing their OWN mundane poetry or lyrics. And nine people they know form an echo chamber around them and suddenly they've become the next Yeats.
Travis Bickle 06-25-2005 01:44 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
quote:

Well..this is when they aren't writing their OWN mundane poetry or lyrics. And nine people they know form an echo chamber around them and suddenly they've become the next Yeats.

I actually have one, though I don't use every single day. However, it becomes apparent that a great deal of people that are writing them sound a great deal like everyone else.

But you do see a lot of quoting from Dave Matthews songs, followed by how bad a person's day was.
David Ryder 06-25-2005 01:57 AM
it's nice too know there are people out there that feel the same way. I've never understood what the big deal was with The Dave Matthews bad. I always though the where over hyped and grossly overrated.
pen1300 06-25-2005 10:54 AM
Dave Matthews Band = Crap?

I know everyone doesn't have to agree on tastes of music. Half the people you bring up in this forum I've never heard of and probably wouldn't hear of unless they ended up in the area my mom decided to check out. (BTW: My mom likes Nine Inch Nails AND Dave Matthews Band).

How many of their ablums have you listened too? I've listened to the majority of the CDs: Under the Table and Dreaming, Crash, Before These Crowded Streets, Everyday, Busted Stuff, and lastly, Stand Up. My favorite is Before These Crowded Streets and I recommend you at least check out that album if you haven't (it's dark and gritty in my opinion).

DMB has not been this popular all along though. I know you are saying they are one of the most overrated bands, but I really don't think they saw this kind of success until the song "The Space Between" from the Album Everyday. My mom has a been a fan slightly longer than I have and they hardly had ANY airtime before the album Everyday. The only real exception to this would be the song "Crash" off of the album Crash, but even then, there wasn't a lot of airtime on TV or radio. It was a treat to hear their music when it was played.

In 7th grade, I did a research project on the band for music class. No one knew who I was talking about. They found the info and music ok, but they didn't know. Now, if I presented that project to a class, they would know.

My one friend and I don't understand how someone can NOT enjoy Dave Matthews, but you guys are prime examples of people who don't enjoy them (assuming you've heard/seen a little more than just the radio stuff). That's fine. It's probably the fact your style runs differently than mine. My friend and I have been discussing this and we have found we enjoy the general music, the lyrics (because they actually MEAN something and speak to someone listening to it, hence why it is quoted a lot), and the way he plays with words when he is singing. Every performance is slightly different (I haven't seen him live. SOME DAY! I haven't been to any concerts actually.)

I'll agree that not every song is the greatest. I can't stand the song "Proudest Monkey" off of Crash. In my car, I hit the fast forward button for the tape player when it comes on.

Though, for every DMB fan, there is one song that won the person over. Mine was "I did it" off of Everday. I got into them one song before their major fame. I also like the fact they have a violinist in their group and anything string related, I'll look at (I have Boyd Tinsley's Album [he's the violinist] *glances about*, it's good, but not AS good).

My boyfriend knows I'm quite obsessed with DMB and I've told him I'll convert him to enjoy DMB. He's got a major background with music and he does admit that they have good music, it's just not his thing. He finds them a little "folksy". Off of Crash he seems to enjoy the more upbeat stuff than the slow love songs and Before These Crowded Streets, the bit he did hear, he thought was nice (of course he finds their sax player is VERY talented [my boyfriend plays sax so he would know]). He told me the sax solo on American Baby is cool. I'm coming to the conclusion, he might listen to the band on his own, or he might not. I don't know, I introduced it and we'll see. His other major beef with them is that they are so popular and, like me, he has a habit of resisting the mainstream sometimes.
-------------
You see so many Stand Up albums and previous ones because LAST MONTH was when Stand Up came out: May 10th, I believe, so right now, it's NEW NEW NEW! Chance to rope in more fans.

quote:
quote:

Someone's seen my profile. LOL. Nonetheless, so what if they quote the "mundane lyrics"? Don't you quote your favorite lyrics from any band/musical on your Blog or AIM or even here? I know many people who post lyrics, ANY lyrics, myself included. It's our right to post it. People like the words and would like to share them.

Dave Matthews Band equalling crap? I think not. No offense, but I need more than just "They're crap crap crappity crap musicians".

Everyday,
Pen1300
Travis Bickle 06-25-2005 11:12 AM
quote:
Originally posted by pen1300
Dave Matthews Band = Crap?

That's pretty much what I tried to get across...

quote:
How many of their ablums have you listened too? I've listened to the majority of the CDs: Under the Table and Dreaming, Crash, Before These Crowded Streets, Everyday, Busted Stuff, and lastly, Stand Up. My favorite is Before These Crowded Streets and I recommend you at least check out that album if you haven't (it's dark and gritty in my opinion).

Unfortunately, I've heard all of them, thanks to certain friends and old flames having an undying love for them. My mother, back in the day, even purchased Under the Table and Dreaming, which I wasn't too fond of.

quote:
DMB has not been this popular all along though. I know you are saying they are one of the most overrated bands, but I really don't think they saw this kind of success until the song "The Space Between" from the Album Everyday.

Actually, almost all of their albums (including the vast majority of their live albums) have been in one of the Top 10 positions on the Billboard charts when first released. So they've always had this kind of mindless fan base following them.

quote:
You see so many Stand Up albums and previous ones because LAST MONTH was when Stand Up came out: May 10th, I believe, so right now, it's NEW NEW NEW! Chance to rope in more fans.

The Eels just came out with a new album. Where's their huge ass display??? Confused

quote:
Dave Matthews Band equalling crap? I think not. No offense, but I need more than just "They're crap crap crappity crap musicians".

-Everything they play sounds exactly the same. Stand Up sounds just like every other album they've ever put out.
-There are hundreds of other musicians/bands out there that are far superiror (in terms of talent and the ability to play instruments) than the members of the Dave Matthews Band. However, they're overlooked because, well, everyone loves the Dave Matthews Band.
-The youth (or, as you stated, quite possibly their mothers) idolize a stoner f*** with a known history of heavy drug usage and who promotes usage of recreational drugs (other than marijuana)
088nd 06-25-2005 11:59 AM
Blame the radio for everything bad about the music industry.
TanookiJoe 06-26-2005 09:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by 088nd
Blame the radio for everything bad about the music industry.

Why, when you can blame consumers, who buy crappy music?
StevieV019 06-28-2005 09:59 AM
quote:
DMB has not been this popular all along though. I know you are saying they are one of the most overrated bands, but I really don't think they saw this kind of success until the song "The Space Between" from the Album Everyday. My mom has a been a fan slightly longer than I have and they hardly had ANY airtime before the album Everyday. The only real exception to this would be the song "Crash" off of the album Crash, but even then, there wasn't a lot of airtime on TV or radio. It was a treat to hear their music when it was played

Sorry, I have to intervene on this one...

Ever heard of "Ants Marching" or "What Would You Say?" or "Satellite"??

Those came off their album, "Under the Table and Dreaming" and they got MAD play on radios, mtv, and everywhere else. Back in the day, they hit Rolling Stone's cover...WELL before their "Everyday" album...

Now, yes, their popularity has fluctuated and gone up recently...but I attribute that to their new album release. Cripes, I was listening to Dave Mathews when I was 14...and that was 11 years ago when it was first released.

As a conclusion...DMB has been THIS popular since 1997-98...which, is a pretty long time if you ask me....

Now back to our discussion...