[Suggestion] Close B-day threads a week after the Birthday(s)?

Green_Bird 06-22-2005 03:00 PM
I don't know if this has been discussed before but...maybe B-day threads should be closed a week after the person's Birthday. Because seeing as how a lot of people keep bringing up old Birthday threads....So I was thinking leave them open for a week after so people can wish them a belated Birthday but after that weeks up, close the thread. Sort of like what you do with the welcome threads.....

I had this thought for a while now, just decided to get it off my chest....
Travis Bickle 06-22-2005 03:47 PM
HELL FREAKIN YES!

Just because DorothyLover111 had a birthday 7 months ago doesn't mean you have to wish her a happy birthday today to increase post count.

It should be the same way that it is with the Hello/greeting threads.
Collateral 06-22-2005 03:51 PM
That makes a lot of sense. I really think it should be considered and I am surprised it isn't already in action.
Mr. Fortnight 06-22-2005 04:08 PM
Uh, when have old birthday threads been dredged up for postcount farming? You're acting like it's some sort of epidemic. I'm seeing nothing of the sort.

I do think though that there NEEDS to be 1 thread dedicated to birthdays here. Just to keep things organized.
evanASF27 06-22-2005 04:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Minneapolis
Uh, when have old birthday threads been dredged up for postcount farming? You're acting like it's some sort of epidemic. I'm seeing nothing of the sort.

I do think though that there NEEDS to be 1 thread dedicated to birthdays here. Just to keep things organized.

Well I have seen a couple of B-day threads resurface after more than a month...but it is a rare occurance none the less.

Though I think it's more of a thing about "why do we need to keep saying happy birthday a week or two after the fact?". One birthday thread is an option, and so is locking threads after one week. But personally I'm leaning towards the locking-after-one-week deal.
Travis Bickle 06-22-2005 04:30 PM
quote:

A month back, a few people decided it was cool to say happy birthday to someone about 8 months later, and nobody realized that it was an old thread.

Yeah, people can't read sometimes. That's why threads are closed. That and, "OMG! I WANNA BE FORUM VETERAN!"
Collateral 06-22-2005 04:43 PM
I like your idea, Ensign Minneapolis, about just one thread. It would keep things neater.
The Fallen Phoenix 06-22-2005 04:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Collateral
I like your idea, Ensign Minneapolis, about just one thread. It would keep things neater.

The idea of one thread for birthdays was brought up a long while ago, but it was rejected. Some of the reasons given were: the impersonal nature of general threads, which would be unsuitable for a birthday thread; the difficulty of a member to find his or her own birthday "posts" in such a thread if he or she is away during his or her birthday; combining all threads into one being unnecessary due to the relative limited number of responses such threads tend to compile.

There were a few more, but those were the ones I can remember off hand. I, personally, think birthday threads are fine the way they are now: I don't think locking them is necessary, either. On the one hand, it is very rare for an old thread to be revived: the incident Bleedthrough mentioned was an isolated case. Usually, the thread sinks through the pages rather quickly. As a result, even if we did decide to have 'strider (or GK, or Krang, or Shredder) lock the birthday threads after a couple weeks, I think it would be unnecessary work: one of them would have to look for the thread and then lock it, which I think would be a waste of time since, as aforementioned, it is not as if there is a serious problem with birthday threads as it is.

But that's just my two cents. If enough people are for locking birthday threads, Krang and Shredder might assent to it...
Avenir 06-22-2005 05:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Bleedthrough
quote:

A month back, a few people decided it was cool to say happy birthday to someone about 8 months later, and nobody realized that it was an old thread.

True, but it has only happened once if my memory serves me well, correct me if I'm mistaken. If it has occurred more than once, it obviously doesn't happen on a frequent basis; therefore, it's not really worth fretting over so much.

But if such is the case, I'm in favor with the weeklong thread lifespan; a sole birthday thread seems a bit, shall we say, unwarranted at this time. Independant threads always have a very honorary ambience.
Generalissimo D 06-22-2005 06:22 PM
I dont really see the fuss about it. It seems the threads themselves are silently "locked" in the minds of many and are left to drift out in the endless sea that are Speakeasy threads. Besides, most arent even paid attention to for more than a week, so no need to mandatorily lock every thread after a week. Its frivolous if you ask me. Besides, most of the people who just want to increase post count usually get their wishings in within the first day or so.

If you want to enforce the lengths of these things, the one week-long term everyones been proposing (not unlike the Hudson River Pier one) seems to be efficient.
Green_Bird 06-22-2005 08:06 PM
Okay...let me add something to my previous post, Yes, I know it's a rare thing, And yes I know they kind of fade away, but who knows when a new member will want to increase their post count and decide to bring up dead birthday threads like the past incident. And besides I'm not really asking anyone to go and close threads that have fallen outside of the default post view....only the ones on the easy to get to pages.
Travis Bickle 06-22-2005 08:33 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Avenir
quote:
Originally posted by Bleedthrough
quote:

True, but it has only happened once if my memory serves me well, correct me if I'm mistaken. If it has occurred more than once, it obviously doesn't happen on a frequent basis; therefore, it's not really worth fretting over so much.

For once, memory has failed you, for there have been a couple of other occurrences here and there where regular posters have posted in old birthday threads. This all taking place a couple of months ago.
Collateral 06-22-2005 08:43 PM
Would it be too much of a hassle to close a thread a day? I am not being sarcastic I am simply asking. Generally the b-day threads are only one a day so pretty much that is how cleaning them would be. Of course, it will be difficult to close all of the really old ones but like green_bird said you only need to close any of the ones on the easy to get to pages. Maybe offer it as a full on job for someone Big Grin ! Just offering my opinion again...

I also see how having one huge thread for b-days could be a bad idea. It would take forever to find your b-day plus it would just be a little impersonal...with my own b-day approaching it made me realize that I wouldn't enjoy that as well as having my own thread with a few others.
Travis Bickle 06-22-2005 08:45 PM
quote:
Would it be too much of a hassle to close a thread a day? I am not being sarcastic I am simply asking. Generally the b-day threads are only one a day so pretty much that is how cleaning them would be. Of course, it will be difficult to close all of the really old ones but like green_bird said you only need to close any of the ones on the easy to get to pages. Maybe offer it as a full on job for someone Big Grin ! Just offering my opinion again...

You're forgetting to take in the factor that, say, someone might be gone for a day or so and miss posting in them. No biggie to me, but to others it may be. So that wouldn't be the greatest idea (IMO).
Collateral 06-22-2005 08:49 PM
Oh...did you think I meant that have the b-day threads closed after a day? No, I meant that after a week you close it but since the threads are posted on seperate days (not two a day) then someone would only have to close a thread every day. I hope I made sense. I could explain it better if I was talking. Big Grin Believe me that wouldn't be fair for it to only last a day.
Travis Bickle 06-22-2005 08:52 PM
quote:
Oh...did you think I meant that have the b-day threads closed after a day? No, I meant that after a week you close it but since the threads are posted on seperate days (not two a day) then someone would only have to close a thread every day. I hope I made sense. I could explain it better if I was talking. Big Grin Believe me that wouldn't be fair for it to only last a day.

Ah. Pardon. I must have read your post incorrectly and/or misinterpreted it.

However, I still disagree.

I guess we'll leave it up to the admins...
Mr. Fortnight 06-25-2005 01:22 AM
You know, if people are really making much ado about nothing regarding Birthday Threads, Why don't we just ban them entirely.

It seems over the past 6 months several issues have occurred regarding such threads over User Ratings, Post Spamming, and general headaches.

If these threads are truely becoming such an issue, and so many people are getting ticked off about them, why have them around?
Schwarzwald 06-30-2005 09:55 PM
I'm with ensign on this IF they are really getting out of hand.

But from what I'm seeing it doesn't really matter... and a few posts from some old birthday threads can't hurt, most people wouldn't go through the trouble unless it was a friend's birthday they missed, but otherwise we'll all know if it is just a person aching to get an extra post.

It seems like a hastle for something less important, this would require the admins to keep a constant tabs on birthday threads, because somedays there just aren't birthdays or a thread. Occationally there may be a thread a day late.
Collateral 06-30-2005 09:58 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Schwarzwald
I'm with ensign on this IF they are really getting out of hand.

But from what I'm seeing it doesn't really matter... and a few posts from some old birthday threads can't hurt, most people wouldn't go through the trouble unless it was a friend's birthday they missed, but otherwise we'll all know if it is just a person aching to get an extra post.

It seems like a hastle for something less important, this would require the admins to keep a constant tabs on birthday threads, because somedays there just aren't birthdays or a thread. Occationally there may be a thread a day late.

Yes, I must admit that I haven't seen any problems. IT would be a hassle to have to keep up with it. I couldn't do it.

Okay, no one shoot me. I know I am backing out on what I said before but I understand that it is pointless to close them.
lts_silver 07-01-2005 11:06 AM
To be honest, I realize I'm still fairly new here, and therefore haven't encountered alot of problems yet. Still I figured I would contribute a little bit. It's easy sometimes to get too involved in these threads. Sometimes you almost reach a point where you wish you were an admin or moderator. Now that I think about it, there was one time I read a thread where it disturbed so that I wanted to post a nasty remark, but I refrained because it would only make things worse. To summarize, all I'm saying is let the administrators and moderators decide what is best for the message boards. They are the ones who police the boards, let them handle it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with stating your opinion, that's what these boards are for, but keep in mind that if you get too involved, its time to stop and do something else. I personally don't see a problem with birthday threads. If they get out of control, the administrators and moderators will take care of it as they see fit.