[Suggestion] Close B-day threads a week after the Birthday(s)?

Krang 07-01-2005 10:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by lts_silver
It's easy sometimes to get too involved in these threads. Sometimes you almost reach a point where you wish you were an admin or moderator.

Err, there's nothing about being an admin or mod that allows you to get more involved in threads than any other user can. I'm not quite following your logic here... Confused

quote:
To summarize, all I'm saying is let the administrators and moderators decide what is best for the message boards. They are the ones who police the boards, let them handle it.

That may be how some forums are run, but that's not how things work around here at all. These forums belong to the community as a whole, so everyone's input is important, whether the person is an admin or mod, a user, a Forum Veteran, or even a warned member. When decisions need to be made that affect the entire forums, I always ask everyone for opinions so that we can figure out what would work best for the community. Additionally, I'm always willing to answer questions, listen to comments, and consider suggestions, which is the entire point of this area of the forums.

quote:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with stating your opinion, that's what these boards are for, but keep in mind that if you get too involved, its time to stop and do something else.

You really should get a better idea of how these forums work before ordering people around like that. Please be more respectful of other members.

Now, on to the suggestion. It's a good idea, but like others have said, bumping old birthday threads is not currently a very big problem, so I'm not sure it would be worth the effort to go to such lengths to prevent it. Personally, I would find it easier to handle problems like this by dealing with the individual threads that are targeted or the individual members who are bumping the old threads rather than implementing and enforcing a new policy.
evanASF27 07-01-2005 10:44 PM
well here's an idea...I know I already have two birthday threads for the two years I was here. Why not just use the old threads and not make a new one?

Just an idea. >_>...<_<...>_>...
Collateral 07-01-2005 10:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
well here's an idea...I know I already have two birthday threads for the two years I was here. Why not just use the old threads and not make a new one?

Just an idea. >_>...<_<...>_>...

It's an interesting idea...but will it be easy to recover the old threads? And what about being able to find all of the new replies? I'm just asking. Not trying to be sarcastic or anything Big Grin !

Go Krang! Speak your mind! (I had to say that)
Captain Maw 07-02-2005 12:33 AM
seeing how there is a birthday practically everyday of the year, it may be a wise idea to have some change.... although 80%* of the ppl who are posted as having birthday's either haven't been on for over a year, or made less than three posts.
*not actually based on a statistical analysis or study.
Collateral 07-02-2005 12:36 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Maw
seeing how there is a birthday practically everyday of the year, it may be a wise idea to have some change.... although 80%* of the ppl who are posted as having birthday's either haven't been on for over a year, or made less than three posts.
*not actually based on a statistical analysis or study.

I have noticed that too. Is it like this throughout the year or only in the summer?

What type of change are you proposing? Confused
Captain Maw 07-02-2005 12:43 AM
hmmm.... i really don't know....
a thought: maybe we can just leave them the way they are, same rules about spam, etc. apply. but if the rating is low, that is nothing within the jurisdiction of teh admins/mods, and is just considered public bitchiness. or remove the rating for b-day threads and have a seperate subsection for them, or have a general b-day thread, that ppl post into. one giant b-day thread. i dunno....
Collateral 07-02-2005 12:47 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Maw
hmmm.... i really don't know....
a thought: maybe we can just leave them the way they are, same rules about spam, etc. apply. but if the rating is low, that is nothing within the jurisdiction of teh admins/mods, and is just considered public bitchiness. or remove the rating for b-day threads and have a seperate subsection for them, or have a general b-day thread, that ppl post into. one giant b-day thread. i dunno....

If you read some of the beginning post you will find out that the general b-day thread was already discussed and that it has been turned down more than once. Just warning you! Big Grin

Also, I didn't know ratings were bad for b-day threads. I've seen some with really high ratings and none with low.
Captain Maw 07-02-2005 12:57 AM
oh sorry... no time to read... heck, i don't even read when my grade is on the line!
but the main reason why this thread is here is cuz of low ratings on b-day threads. the perpretrators.. were known by the admins/mods, and it was rather... unbelievable or awkward.
i say: keep'em. we shouldn't ruin a good thing due to a few bad apples, and i think they cause a lot of ppl to feel happy, and recognized. i mean, we have the anniversary thread, the friar's club thread, etc. we didn't get rid of them because they never got bad ratings causing ppl to feel bad, because they were one thread, and you cannot insult the whole pop. of PCF, rather than one person.
ok, i'm gonna stop batting this thread back and forth now. sorry for the redundency.
lts_silver 07-02-2005 01:56 AM
Again, I have probably said too much at one time and not made much sense. What I was trying to get people to understand was that its good to make suggestions and have an opinion about an issue involving the boards such as this birthday thread, but sometimes it's better to leave it up to the admins and moderators to decide what is best. That is all I was trying to say. But apparently I didn't make sense, therefore I am going to shut up my mouth.

Just FYI: I wasn't trying to order people around, Krang, just letting them know that you guys know what you are doing and let you handle things. However, if I did offend someone, I do apologize. My intentions were good, but my message didn't make it across.
Nine Kuze 03-10-2006 03:00 PM
I was reading this old thread a while ago and its really interesting because with the birthday threads, they're a real good idea but they can get rather annoying, especially when someone posts pretty late.

Someone earlier said that the birthday threads so be locked (like those in the Hudson River for after a while)a week after the member's birthday but was argued that the process would be too bothersome. So I'm thinking why don't we move the birthday threads to the Hudson River forums and have the same rules with the other threads in that forum.

Just a thought. Smile
Peace.
Krang 03-11-2006 12:07 AM
That would be a good way to help the staff remember to lock the threads, but birthdays don't really fit in with introductions, so most members wouldn't know to look there and would probably start them in the Speakeasy anyway.