Anyone write a literary analysis lately (or at all)?

anjuta 06-21-2005 12:26 AM
I'm sorta nervous about a literary analysis we have to do for school after reading a whole bunch of fairly boring literature pieces. Anyone have any tips on what's best to do? Any original ideas?? I want my paper to 1) stand out and 2) be exceptionally well-written and not a boring piece of garbage, my sis writes enough of that to fill like 50 landfills.
TanookiJoe 06-21-2005 01:01 AM
Well, you need a good subject, first off. All the talent in the world can't make a paper about a boring subject leap off the page. As for being exceptionally well-written, the ball's in your court there.
dawnstrider 06-23-2005 01:43 PM
Hm.....

Well, you could start, as TanookiJoe said, with choosing a good topic; you said that most of your subjects are fairly boring, well…choose the one that has the greatest interest for you. If they all seem equally blah, than choose one that has the most points that can be extrapolated. That, at least, shouldn’t be too hard. Once you have that work in mind, try to pin point a specific aspect of it, preferably one that isn’t used much – say, a gender perspective, or a repetition of phrases or language. If you’re clever enough, you shouldn’t have a problem finding something specific to talk about. Remember that you don’t have to do an overview of the entire book of you know enough about everything in it for a relatively brief mention. There are a number of theoretical aspects from which you can examine the work; psychological, ethnic, or even just a reader’s (i.e., yours) response to the book. As for it being good….well, as was mentioned before, that’s in your court, but it’s hard to go wrong with specific detail.

Hope that helps any, and good luck Smile .

Peace Cool
anjuta 10-02-2005 11:01 PM
Thanks guys, that helped. I chose to write about Chekhov's "The cherry orchard" and it turned out much longer than the teacher intended. i just kept writing and writing, couldn't shut the hell up to save my life. My teacher loved it, he used it for an example for other classes.