Eminem

StevieV019 11-03-2005 12:07 PM
Eminem = overrated

Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, and even some of Jay-Z = quality rap

Eminem's main claim to fame is the fact that he's not a stereotype coming from the typical rap mold. Thats as politically correct as I can get without coming out and saying it...

He found fame from being able to make funny noises while blending it with rhymed lyrics that have no melody to them (see: Slim Shady). His angst laced lyrics and matter of fact presentation (read: lack of melody and tone in his voice) made his songs standout compared to what is currently offered in the rap genre. The repetitive beats he uses happen to be the most annoying ones a rapper could come up with. I will say this however, his "protege" 50 Cent is a better rapper than him, but thats not saying much, because he's not that great either.

Basically, if you want to find and hear good rap music, listen to Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Jay-Z (sorry Scotty), Ja Rule, DMX, and Kanye West. Their songs, are exactly that, actually SONGS with beats, rhythm, melody, and tones that change with certain lines of lyric rather than whining, yelling, and sounds that dont make sense...yo
Nine Kuze 11-03-2005 05:03 PM
quote:
Originally posted by StevieV019
Eminem = overrated

Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, and even some of Jay-Z = quality rap

Eminem's main claim to fame is the fact that he's not a stereotype coming from the typical rap mold. Thats as politically correct as I can get without coming out and saying it...

He found fame from being able to make funny noises while blending it with rhymed lyrics that have no melody to them (see: Slim Shady). His angst laced lyrics and matter of fact presentation (read: lack of melody and tone in his voice) made his songs standout compared to what is currently offered in the rap genre. The repetitive beats he uses happen to be the most annoying ones a rapper could come up with. I will say this however, his "protege" 50 Cent is a better rapper than him, but thats not saying much, because he's not that great either.

Basically, if you want to find and hear good rap music, listen to Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Jay-Z (sorry Scotty), Ja Rule, DMX, and Kanye West. Their songs, are exactly that, actually SONGS with beats, rhythm, melody, and tones that change with certain lines of lyric rather than whining, yelling, and sounds that dont make sense...yo

I hear that, that's basically what Enimem and damn near everyone else in the hip-hop game does now. They take recycled, recycled, recycled old beats, edit some songs and pump it out as something that is supposed to be new.

Also, the other sources of good hip-hop music is Nas, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, and Common. The only thing is that most of these guys (not really Nas) are underground (not commercial) artists so for the mainstream stuff, go for what StevieV019 posted earlier.
Peace.
StevieV019 11-04-2005 10:55 AM
Go on with your bad self, Jesus Shuttlesworth...(nice avatar, Mr. Allen rules

Nas has some good stuff...