[Question] Spam Email

Tickle Tickle 06-12-2005 11:56 AM
I just got an spam email from Paradigm-city.com account.

'bill@paradigm-city.com (subject) hello'

Is there some sort of virus in the site or something?

evanASF27 06-12-2005 12:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Umino
I just got an spam email from Paradigm-city.com account.

'bill@paradigm-city.com (subject) hello'

Is there some sort of virus in the site or something?

could it be someone who has a paradigm account like the one is this thread? Confused

*Edit*
Upon looking closer...it seems that it's not "@paradigm-city.net", it's a ".com"....very strange...Krang, do you have a brother Bill? (heh)
X Prime 06-12-2005 12:36 PM
If I recal correctly, it is perfectly possible to spoof email addresses.
Green_Bird 06-12-2005 12:51 PM
Yeah its just some kind of virus....MyDoom seems the most likely. But there are a few others out there that make spoof email adresses, also. Mainly picking random characters, names, and even sites if they have to. Many spoffing people and sites you go to daily.
Krang 06-12-2005 09:20 PM
As Green_Bird and X Prime said, it's just a spoofed email address created by a virus on some person's computer (not on the server). If you want to find out who really sent it, look at the full headers and you'll see that the sender's IP doesn't match the server's IP. Additionally, the only email addresses that will ever send mail from paradigm-city.com are "krang" (note that I never send email from "webmaster" even though I can receive it there), "shredder," and another account for forum email (currently set to "forums," although that will change soon since that address is starting to receive spam). Once I have some time, I'll look into configuring the domain to make it more difficult to spoof email addresses from this domain.