Requiem for a Dream

Travis Bickle 06-12-2005 12:24 AM
A movie by a director Darren Aronofsky (director of Pi, who people tend to call the new Kubrick), and also one of my personal favorites.

Let me get one thing out of the way: it's not for the kids. There's enough drugs, graphic sexuality, swearing and a bit of violence here and there. So it has a very deserved R (But we're all adults here, right?).

However, it tells an amazing story of four individuals (a guy, his girlfriend, his friend and his mother), each with a dream. The guy/son Harry and his friend Tyrone hope to start a sucsessful drug business and make a great deal of money off of that. Harry's girlfriend Marion wants to start some sort of clothing store (I haven't seen it in a while, so correct me if I'm wrong). And, last but not least, Harry's mother was invited to be on a self help guru's talk show and wants to lose 15 pounds in order to fit into her old red dress.

However, each person in the movie develops an addiction of sorts and how their lives each start to decay.

It's a great movie, and the actors/actresses that portray the charachters (Jennifer Connelly, Marlon Wayans, Jared Leto and Ellen Burstyn) are amazing. Hell, it was Marlon Wayans' first serious role and he was one of the best in the film (in my opinon).

I highly reccomend it.

Has anyone else seen it?
088nd 06-12-2005 11:03 AM
Damn, I wish I had. All my friends have. It's on my To-Rent/To-Buy list. I'll probably watch it this weekend.
Lupin IV 06-12-2005 11:14 AM
I saw it at a friends house. The opinions were split 50-50 after the movie was over. I personally didn't care too much for it. I didn't hate it, but it's not one of my personal favorites. The theme music peice got really annoying after awhile. Now, whenever I hear it in a "serious" flash or commercial I want to scream TURN IT OFFFFF!!!!!