Billy Corgan to release solo album on June 21st.

NightRanger 06-07-2005 05:54 PM
Source from Warner Brothers Records:

And on June 21st, Billy Corgan's going to give you one, in the form of his solo debut. It's called TheFutureEmbrace, and the wizard of Smashing Pumpkins and Zwan calls it his most personal album yet. He's into personal: Billy's got blogs going with all sorts of inside dirt on past bands and present music, plus bits of his autobiography, which isn't called "He Just Wrote WHAT?!?," but could be. Read up at myspace.com/billycorgan and billycorgan.com, and check out the video for "Walking Shade," on Yahoo.

Hmm, this looks interesting. Mr. Corgan's pretty talented. He even performed with Cheap Trick one time (there's a live track featuring him on Disc 1 of "The Essential Cheap Trick")
Travis Bickle 06-07-2005 06:52 PM
Corgan Is a god among men!

I happen to be quite a huge Pumpkins fan (if you didn't know), and Corgan has done some amazing things over the years with them and with others. As well as the amazing Pumpkins albums (Gish, Lull, Siamese Dream, Pisces Icariot, Earphoria, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, The Aeroplane Flies High, Adore, and MACHINA, as well as the secretly released MACHINA II and Rotten Apples, the Greatest Hits album which was forced to be released by Virgin) which I all proudly own, he also (secretly) helped co-write the songs for Marilyn Manson's Mechanical Animals, which is, in my opinion, one of the greatest albums ever made.

However, he's also done some things that weren't really that good, such as Zwan (a few of their songs are ok), a crappy poetry book, and now, since I recently heard his new album, I don't particularly care for it.

I just want a Pumpkins reuninon. Is that too much to ask for?

quote:
Originally posted by NightRanger
He even performed with Cheap Trick one time (there's a live track featuring him on Disc 1 of "The Essential Cheap Trick")

Even though I don't really care for them that much, I've been meaning to borrow that from my uncle. I really want to hear it ("Mandocello" is the track I think he's on)
Travis Bickle 07-13-2005 09:21 PM
After listening to it a few times more, I've come to realize that the new album is one of the worst that I've ever heard. It's pure techno/emo crap. I even wrote Mr. Corgan an email on it and caused an uproar/revolt on his MySpace page about it (all in the name of good, clean fun.)

And about Cheap Trick: I was browsing through Pumpkins archives and it turns out that they "borrowed" a riff from Cheap Trick to create the song "Cherub Rock". Who knew?

I still like the Pumpkins much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much better...
Tony Waynewrong 07-15-2005 05:53 PM
I must say that I really dig this album. It is certainly a lighter version of Machina, more like Zwan. However, it is certainly missing the flare that was Smashing Pumpkins!

Billy Corgan, you rock! But, Smashing Pumpkins will always rule! Big Grin
Travis Bickle 07-15-2005 06:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Tony
It is certainly a lighter version of Machina, more like Zwan. However, it is certainly missing the flare that was Smashing Pumpkins!

Machina was more metal-oriented music than anything, whereas Adore was pretty much mostly programmed music and techno nonsense (though it is a decent album).

Some songs on Machina sound like they utilize a drum machine, but, if I'm not mistaken, they're all Jimmy Chamberlin drumming in the background (and possibly mastering his tracks using different effects and whatnot). To my knowledge, "Annie-Dog" and "For Martha" were the only two tracks on Adore that used a live drummer.

And Zwan. Well...Zwan was guitar driven rock, which the Pumpkins were famous for, only it was delivered very poorly.

Corgan's new cd sounds like a techno version of some of the tracks off of MACHINA II/The Friends and Enemy of Modern Music (he even used samples of "Innosense" for one of the tracks who's odd name esacapes me), but with very little guitar used on the album. Most of THEFUTUREEMBRACE is composed synthisizer and drum machines, which I don't really care for.

If you're interested in Machina and the meaning/story behind it (as well as an interview, some videos and a collection of B-Sides):

http://www.sonypictures.com/smashingpumpkins
Tony Waynewrong 07-15-2005 07:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Bleedthrough
quote:
It is certainly a lighter version of Machina, more like Zwan. However, it is certainly missing the flare that was Smashing Pumpkins!

Machina was more metal-oriented music than anything, whereas Adore was pretty much mostly programmed music and techno nonsense (though it is a decent album).

Some songs on Machina sound like they utilize a drum machine, but, if I'm not mistaken, they're all Jimmy Chamberlin drumming in the background (and possibly mastering his tracks using different effects and whatnot). To my knowledge, "Annie-Dog" and "For Martha" were the only two tracks on Adore that used a live drummer.

And Zwan. Well...Zwan was guitar driven rock, which the Pumpkins were famous for, only it was delivered very poorly.

Corgan's new cd sounds like a techno version of some of the tracks off of MACHINA II/The Friends and Enemy of Modern Music (he even used samples of "Innosense" for one of the tracks who's odd name esacapes me), but with very little guitar used on the album. Most of THEFUTUREEMBRACE is composed synthisizer and drum machines, which I don't really care for.

If you're interested in Machina and the meaning/story behind it (as well as an interview, some videos and a collection of B-Sides):

http://www.sonypictures.com/smashingpumpkins

Well, I am familiar with all of Billy Corgan and Smashing Pumpkins work. Though I agree with some your classification, I have to disagree with your outcome. I don't fine synthetic instrumentation of Zwan and Billy Corgan solo albums to be week. In fact, I find it to be pretty good. Also, this new album is certainly influenced by Robert Smith (The Cure), another one of my favorite artist.

Though, I have to agree that it is lacking in strong percussion (namely from Chamberlain). However, in my opinion, this album's personality and style is pretty good. Oh well, to each his/her own.
BethMcBeth 07-16-2005 11:09 AM
Iam just excitied period that hes made a new album!!!! I haven't herd it yet but once again Iam just happy !! ^_^

-Beth
Travis Bickle 07-16-2005 12:20 PM
quote:
Well, I am familiar with all of Billy Corgan and Smashing Pumpkins work. Though I agree with some your classification, I have to disagree with your outcome. I don't fine synthetic instrumentation of Zwan and Billy Corgan solo albums to be week. In fact, I find it to be pretty good. Also, this new album is certainly influenced by Robert Smith (The Cure), another one of my favorite artist.

Though, I have to agree that it is lacking in strong percussion (namely from Chamberlain). However, in my opinion, this album's personality and style is pretty good. Oh well, to each his/her own.

Um...there's very little (almost no) use of the keyboard on Zwan, so I have no idea what you're talking about when you say it has "synthetic instrumentation". 3 guitarists, a bassist and a drummer. Nothing really synthetic about it...Confused

Also, Robert Smith is on TheFutureEmbrace on the track "To Love Somebody", which happens to be a Bee Gees remake.