great book(s); ABARAT, and others!

Yomiko 06-02-2005 02:41 PM
In my last two weeks of my 11th grade I found a great book called Abarat, its by a man named Clive Barker. ITS SO FREKING GREAT. Then again one of the library ladys says that I have an open option because every book I read, I love. It didn't take long to read the first but the second took a little longer and past the due date. Abarat, Days of Magic, Nights of War (or its was "Days of War" and "Nights of Magic") is great as the first.
Also with these books is painting inside that the authur himself did. I loved seeing the pictures cause I could see my version and his version together of what a character or animal/monster looked like.

Feel free to post any other books you really like/ love/ enjoy. This can include manga!
Yomiko 06-10-2005 03:03 PM
No body has anything to say? Frown

EDIT: IS THERE NO ONE WHO HAS HEARD OF THESE BOOKS!?
Yomiko 08-09-2005 04:16 PM
HAS NOT EVEN ONE PERSON (other than Barrin) HEARD OF ABARAT??
What a great shame cause they are soo good.
Chitter-Box-Kat 04-29-2006 02:09 PM
CHILL YOMIKO! Shocked Shocked

I have read both books myself, and i agree with you. THE BOOKS AND THE PAINTINGS ARE FREAKING AWESOME! Shocked Big Grin Shocked Big Grin

My favorite charcter is Christopher Carrion, no questiones asked! He's sooo torned and I bet he would have looked sooo good-looking if his grandmother hadn't raised him!

I actually stayed up late on a school night to finish reading the second book! Tongue How's that for devotion?

EXELENTE THREAD! Big Grin
Yomiko 05-10-2006 07:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Chitter-Box-Kat
CHILL YOMIKO! Shocked Shocked

I have read both books myself, and i agree with you. THE BOOKS AND THE PAINTINGS ARE FREAKING AWESOME! Shocked Big Grin Shocked Big Grin

My favorite charcter is Christopher Carrion, no questiones asked! He's sooo torned and I bet he would have looked sooo good-looking if his grandmother hadn't raised him!

I actually stayed up late on a school night to finish reading the second book! Tongue How's that for devotion?

EXELENTE THREAD! Big Grin

OH MY FREAKEN GAWD... SOMEONE POSTED!!!!!!!! Big Grin

I really must but these wounderful books, possably soon cause I have a fair amount of mula and I really like those books.

Find some people to post if you know any who have read them.
Chitter-Box-Kat 05-10-2006 07:32 PM
(salute!) Yes Miss Readman! Yomiko. Agent Paper. Whaterver you say! Big Grin I know know just the thread...I started it.
RoseRose 05-10-2006 08:11 PM
I read the first one (before the second one came out!) and I never read the second. It was pretty good, but... I didn't find it in the "freaking awesome" category, though.
Yomiko 05-15-2006 02:45 PM
quote:
Originally posted by RoseRose
I read the first one (before the second one came out!) and I never read the second. It was pretty good, but... I didn't find it in the "freaking awesome" category, though.

Yeh! Another poster!

You should read the second, its also good. Well I'm a huge book fan, and I like or love 99% of the books that I read.
Chitter-Box-Kat 05-15-2006 03:01 PM
"Freaking awesome" doesn't cut it for me. I'm more partial to something like "coolest fantasy novel EVER". Did you get the hardcover edition? 'Cause it has these AMAZING pictures that are paintings done by Clive Barker. His vision for is story are simply uncanny in their detail and color. Cool

Yeah, I'm a partial bibliophile and an art lover. And an artist. Pleased
RoseRose 05-15-2006 03:16 PM
Yes, I read the hardcover version. The are was amazing. *shrug* The plot... I dunno, it's been a while since I read it, but, good, just not in my top 10 favs.
Yomiko 05-16-2006 11:51 AM
Yeah, our library had the hardcover versions. That was one of the things that I loved about the book was the pictures. Big Grin

My top ten list whould either be really long and hard to list.

What others books do you guys really like/love?
Chitter-Box-Kat 05-16-2006 03:32 PM
Let's make a list:

Maniac Magee
The Blue Girl
THE HARRY POTTER SERIES
Abarat: Days of Magic, Nights of War
The Blue Book

There are tons of others, but I can't really remember them right now. My favorite short story is "The Lady or The Tiger?"
RoseRose 05-16-2006 04:14 PM
Harry Potter's really good.

Anyone here read Anne McCaffery? Either her Dragonriders of Pern or her Talent series are pretty good (Talent has two parts, Pegasus, and the Rowan/Damia set)

Also, Mercedes Lackey. Almost anything by her, but probably her most famous is the Heralds of Valdemar series.

Marion Zimmer Bradley, especially some of her middle/early stuff. Hawkmistress! is a great book.

Robert Heinlein's good, too, though his later works are... pushing the limits.

David Weber's Honor Harrington series is amazing space opera, and he knows his history.

For mysteries, the Rabbi series by... H(i can't remember the rest of his first name) Kellerman, or the Peter Decker/Rina Lazerus series by Faye Kellerman. (I THINK I have the last names right).

Yeah.... ummm... Piers Anthony's earlier stuff is good, too, and Robert Aspirin is pretty funny.

I think that's a lot.
Yomiko 05-18-2006 09:30 AM
@ RoseRose: Sorry, I don't know any of those.

-Harry Potter series
-Lord of the Rings series
-Abarat books
-Artemis Fowl series
-Inkheart by Cornelia Funke
-Dragons Blood by Jane Yolen
-Once Upon a Marigold by Jean Ferris
-THe Sliver Kiss
-Blood and Chocolate
-Pendragon series (love these!)
-The Tale of Despereaux (not sure of the spelling) by Kate DiCamillo
-His Dark Materials, Book 1: The Golden Compass
- " " , Book 2: The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman

I do have more but these I have written down and most on this list I read this my senior year.

HOw about manga?
Chitter-Box-Kat 05-18-2006 03:44 PM
You have released floodgates! Big Grin

Loveless
Love Hina
Girl Got Game
GRAVITATION
Fake
One Piece
Legal Drug
Saiyuki
Tokyo Babylon
Chobits
Cardcaptor Sakura
XXX HoLiC
Kare Kano
Walflower
Hellsing
DNAngel

I have more. ALOT more. But I don't feel like going through my entire collection. Wink
The Fallen Phoenix 05-18-2006 06:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Yomiko
Yeah, our library had the hardcover versions. That was one of the things that I loved about the book was the pictures. Big Grin

1. Victor Hugo's Les Misérables
2. Arundhati Roy's The God of Small Things
2. Jeanette Winterson's The Passion
4. J.R.R. Tolkien's The Silmarillion
4. Wilkie Collins' The Woman in White
6. Gregory Maguire's Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West
7. Luo Guanzhong's The Romance of the Three Kingdoms
8. J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings
9. C.S. Lewis' The Horse and His Boy
10. Josef Pieper's Faith, Hope, Love
11. John Irving's A Prayer for Owen Meany
12. Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter
13. Plato's Republic
14. Bram Stoker's Dracula
15. Salman Rushdie's Haroun and the Sea of Stories
16. Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist
17. Shakespeare's Othello
18. Thomas Harris' Red Dragon
19. Kamala Markandaya's Nectar in a Sieve
20. Charles Dickens' Great Expectations
21. David Brooks' Bobos in Paradise
22. J.R.R. Tolkien's There and Back Again: A Hobbit's Tale
23. C.S. Lewis' Prince Caspian
24. F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby
25. J.R. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

My top 25 favorite books of all time, listed in order. I strongly recommend reading any one of them, although I know some on the list (the Scarlet Letter, for example) are usually found...disagreeable...by some.

I'll admit, I love some of the old stuff (Les Mis, the Woman in White, Dracula, the aforementioned the Scarlet Letter); I'm not as avid a reader of more recent books (and by recent I do mean the last century), but that's mostly because I haven't gotten around to them. Yet. And even then, many of the books I listed would qualify as recent, anyhow.

I also have to admit that while I have heard of the books mentioned at the beginning of the thread (this is true of most of the works previously listed in this thread, actually), I've not read any of them. I suppose I could fix that over the summer, when I hope to get a lot of reading done...
RoseRose 05-18-2006 11:41 PM
quote:
Originally posted by The Fallen Phoenix
quote:
Originally posted by Yomiko

1. Victor Hugo's Les Misérables
2. Arundhati Roy's The God of Small Things
2. Jeanette Winterson's The Passion
4. J.R.R. Tolkien's The Silmarillion
4. Wilkie Collins' The Woman in White
6. Gregory Maguire's Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West
7. Luo Guanzhong's The Romance of the Three Kingdoms
8. J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings
9. C.S. Lewis' The Horse and His Boy
10. Josef Pieper's Faith, Hope, Love
11. John Irving's A Prayer for Owen Meany
12. Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter
13. Plato's Republic
14. Bram Stoker's Dracula
15. Salman Rushdie's Haroun and the Sea of Stories
16. Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist
17. Shakespeare's Othello
18. Thomas Harris' Red Dragon
19. Kamala Markandaya's Nectar in a Sieve
20. Charles Dickens' Great Expectations
21. David Brooks' Bobos in Paradise
22. J.R.R. Tolkien's There and Back Again: A Hobbit's Tale
23. C.S. Lewis' Prince Caspian
24. F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby
25. J.R. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

My top 25 favorite books of all time, listed in order. I strongly recommend reading any one of them, although I know some on the list (the Scarlet Letter, for example) are usually found...disagreeable...by some.

I'll admit, I love some of the old stuff (Les Mis, the Woman in White, Dracula, the aforementioned the Scarlet Letter); I'm not as avid a reader of more recent books (and by recent I do mean the last century), but that's mostly because I haven't gotten around to them. Yet. And even then, many of the books I listed would qualify as recent, anyhow.

I also have to admit that while I have heard of the books mentioned at the beginning of the thread (this is true of most of the works previously listed in this thread, actually), I've not read any of them. I suppose I could fix that over the summer, when I hope to get a lot of reading done...
I've heard that the rest of the series is better than "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe" but, I haven't gotten ahold of them. I like The Hobbit better than Lord of the Rings, and I haven't gotten around to the Silmarillion yet, I've only read excerpts from Plato's work, Othello... I preferred Macbeth. You know how some books are ruined by studying them? That happened with me and "The Great Gatsby", and I'm a big fan of Harry Potter. I don't like horror, so Dracula's not on my list. I love Lewis Carrol, though (seems like the right time period for you). Have you read "Through the Looking Glass"?
The Fallen Phoenix 05-19-2006 12:15 AM
quote:
I've heard that the rest of the series is better than "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe" but, I haven't gotten ahold of them.

If you can, I suggest picking up the Chronicles of Narnia in its entirety; there's a really great single-volume paperback edition which I received as a Christmas gift this past year; the entire series is certainly well worth reading.

quote:
I like The Hobbit better than Lord of the Rings, and I haven't gotten around to the Silmarillion yet

The Silmarillion is amazing, at least in my estimation. I think it's Tolkien at his best, and that's saying a lot. At the same time, I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about the Silmarillion. I'd still recommend it anyway (as quickly as I'd recommend any other work by the great Tolkien.

quote:
I've only read excerpts from Plato's work, Othello... I preferred Macbeth. You know how some books are ruined by studying them? That happened with me and "The Great Gatsby", and I'm a big fan of Harry Potter. I don't like horror, so Dracula's not on my list.

I've read two of Plato's dialogues (the Republic and the Symposium); I enjoyed the former more than the latter, though both were entertaining reads. I've also read some Aristotle, and while I think I like some of Aristotle's ideas more than Plato's, Plato's dialogues are just more fun to read than Aristotle's essays. Both philosophers are certainly worth reading if you have a sliver of interest in either the classics or philosophy, however.

I know what you mean about some books being ruined by studying them; I think that's what almost killed Huxley's Brave New World for me. I say almost because I have a habit of being sure to re-read books I might originally read in an academic setting, because reading on your own can make all the difference. At the same time, it is interesting reading books from both perspectives: I first read the God of Small Things on a recommendation from dawnstrider, and read it again a second time in an academic setting first trimester this past senior year. Both read-throughs were highly enjoyable for me.

I used to be rather lukewarm towards Shakespeare, although in recent years that view is starting to shift as I appreciate his works more. Both Macbeth and Othello (as well as Measure for Measure and Hamlet) rank among my favorite plays of his, although Othello has a close place in my heart being the first Shakespearean play I read that I truley enjoyed.

quote:
I love Lewis Carrol, though (seems like the right time period for you). Have you read "Through the Looking Glass"?

I have not. But...I'll be stopping by Barnes and Noble tomorrow on my way into the city to rendezvous with some friends of mine, and if I have enough money on me I'll certainly look into it. Still building my summer reading list, so I'll be sure to take any recommendation to heart.

Although if not, I just found a free online document with Through the Looking Glass in its entirety. I...don't really enjoy reading books off the computer, though, so I'll only resort to that in a worst-case scenario.
RoseRose 05-19-2006 12:35 AM
I got as a present "The Best of Lewis Carrol". I think Through the Looking Glass is his best book, but he has some AMAZING poetry. And, if you can, find his "A Tangled Tale". It's... interesting.

And, when I get out of this college student money crunch, I'll look into those others. I have GIFT CARDS.

Hamlet's my other favorite, and King Lear is good if you haven't read it yet, though it's one that really should be seen.
Yomiko 05-19-2006 09:32 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Chitter-Box-Kat
You have released floodgates! Big Grin

Loveless
Love Hina
Girl Got Game
GRAVITATION
Fake
One Piece
Legal Drug
Saiyuki
Tokyo Babylon
Chobits
Cardcaptor Sakura
XXX HoLiC
Kare Kano
Walflower
Hellsing
DNAngel

I have more. ALOT more. But I don't feel like going through my entire collection. Wink

Oh my gosh! You have more manga then me, I think. See theres mine, then theres BArrins so I'll separate ours.
Mine: XXX Holic
Tusbasa (can't spell it, its CLAMP)
CardCaptor Sakura
MAn of MAny Faces
CLAMP School Detecives
vol. 1 of CLAMP School Invesagtors
Planet LAdder
Crono Crusade
vol. 1 of Fruits BAsket
all but one Shojo Beats
(can't think of any more)

Barrin's: Chobits
Lovehina
Negima
Trigun
Neo Genius Evengalion
Iron Wak Gan (never read it myself)
Oh My Goddess
most of Sohen Jump
Newtypes
(can't think of any more)

O I forgot in my list of books to include the Chronicles of Narnia. All of them. Smile

Thank you The Fallen Phoenix for posting, it makes me feel good when people post in my threads. Pleased