The Top 75 Albums of All Time

Travis Bickle 06-01-2005 10:48 PM
Since Rolling Stone and SPIN can't make up their minds as to what the best albums of all time are (they called several albums terrible yet come back years later and say they're god's gift to man), I decided to make my own list. These are, in my opinion, the 50 greatest albums of all time. They go in order of Album, Artist, and the best song on the album:

  1. Siamese Dream
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Cherub Rock (tough call)

  2. De-Loused In The Comatorium
    The Mars Volta
    This Apparatus Must Be Unearthed

  3. OK Computer
    Radiohead
    Paranoid Android

  4. Relationship Of Command
    At The Drive-In
    Rolodex Propaganda

  5. With Teeth
    Nine Inch Nails
    Right Where It Belongs

  6. Tiny Music...Songs From The Vatican Gift Shop
    Stone Temple Pilots
    Ride The Cliché (also tough to call)

  7. The White Album
    The Beatles
    Helter Skelter

  8. ÆNIMA
    Tool
    Ænima

  9. Nevermind
    Nirvana
    Territorial Pissings

  10. Clumsy
    Our Lady Peace
    Automatic Flowers

  11. Mechanical Animals
    Marilyn Manson
    Coma White

  12. The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars
    David Bowie
    Suffragette City

  13. Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Porcelina Of The Vast Oceans

  14. Trilogy
    Emerson Lake & Palmer
    Trilogy

  15. Hair: Debatable
    Atom & His Package
    If You Own The Washington Redskins, You’re A C***

  16. Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables
    Dead Kennedys
    California Über Alles

  17. Raw Power
    Iggy & The Stooges
    Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell

  18. Dirt
    Alice In Chains
    Down In a Hole

  19. Sparkle And Fade
    Everclear
    Heroin Girl

  20. Blinking Lights and Other Revelations
    Eels
    Trouble With Dreams

  21. Portrait of an American Family
    Marilyn Manson
    Lunchbox

  22. Weezer (Blue Album)
    Weezer
    Surf Wax America

  23. The Wall
    Pink Floyd
    Comfortably Numb

  24. Led Zeppelin I
    Led Zeppelin
    Good Times Bad Times

  25. Just The Best Party
    World/Inferno Friendship Society
    The Naughty Little Rat Makes New Friends

  26. Very Proud Of Ya
    A.F.I.
    Perfect Fit

  27. Whatever & Ever Amen
    Ben Folds Five
    One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces

  28. Welcome To The Monkey House
    The Dandy Warhols
    The Last High

  29. Electro-Shock Blues
    Eels
    Elizabeth On The Bathroom Floor

  30. Best Of The Doors
    The Doors
    Hello, I Love You

  31. Ritual De Lo Habitual
    Jane's Addiction
    Stop

  32. The Downward Spiral
    Nine Inch Nails
    Hurt

  33. Electric Version
    The New Pornographers
    Loose Translation

  34. Blood Sugar Sex Magik
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    The Righteous & The Wicked

  35. Chutes Too Narrow
    The Shins
    So Says I

  36. Porcelain
    Sparta
    Death In The Family

  37. Hearts of Oak
    Ted Leo/Pharmacists
    Tell Balgeary, Balgury Is Dead

  38. Tommy
    The Who
    [I]Pinball Wizard


  39. Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
    The Flaming Lips
    Fight Test

  40. Origin Of Symmetry
    Muse
    New Born

  41. Infiltrate.Destroy.Rebuild
    CKY
    Sink Into The Underground

  42. Show Us Your Demons
    Dirt Bike Annie
    Not An Eagle Scout

  43. Runners High
    The Pillows
    Wake Up, Frenzy

  44. Chronicle, Vol. 1
    Creedence Clearwater Revival
    Down On The Corner

  45. The Dresden Dolls
    The Dresden Dolls
    Half Jack

  46. Old World Underground, Where Are You Now?
    Metric
    I.O.U.

  47. Zoo Hypothesis
    TUB RING
    We Are The Righteous

  48. Superunkown
    Soundgarden
    Spoonman

  49. Pinkerton
    Weezer
    El Scorcho

  50. Rubberneck
    The Toadies
    Possum Kingdom



Start disagreeing...now
Ace of Spades 06-01-2005 10:52 PM
They forgot Moskau by Dschingis Khan
Zopwx2 06-01-2005 11:04 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ace of Spades
They forgot Moskau by Dschingis Khan


muahah ytmnd.

Scott, I agree w/ at least 50% of everything on there.

The rest I either haven't heard, or disagree with.

And by "greatest", are we measuring pure awesomness? or should we take into account context, like the cultural / musical impact of an album.
Travis Bickle 06-01-2005 11:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zopwx2
And by "greatest", are we measuring pure awesomness? or should we take into account context, like the cultural / musical impact of an album.


Both. I've listened to every album on there at least 10 times within the past 10 years (a couple of them over 100, which sounds sad, but I always have music playing in the background). I listen carefully to the lyrics, the structure of each song (sometimes taking into account whether or not it's a simple chord structure or something totally complex that only Ford himself can play on his holy guitar), etc. Plus, in my opinion, ever song on that list kicks total ass.
TanookiJoe 06-01-2005 11:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zopwx2
Scott, I agree w/ at least 50% of everything on there.

The rest I either haven't heard, or disagree with.

And by "greatest", are we measuring pure awesomness? or should we take into account context, like the cultural / musical impact of an album.


Pretty much my thoughts as well.

P.S. Funhouse is the best Stooges album. Tongue And I thought I was the only person alive under 30 who likes CCR.
StevieV019 06-02-2005 07:57 AM
Scotty...

Mad props for the inclusion of Our Lady Peace's Clumsy album...very underrated (nowadays)...in fact, at this moment, its in my car cd player....very impressive my friend. Props to you for Including STP's much overlooked Tiny Music album as well. However, where is STP's debut, Core? Who can forget about the greatness of that.

The biggest, most reprehensible thing you couldve done, however, you ACTUALLY did. For that, you MUST be shot, dragged around the square by horses, and hung, naked, so the peasants can vomit, defecate, spit, and relieve themselves on you. Big Grin Wink

Where, oh where, is Guns N Roses? Where is "Appetite for Destruction"? And where is "Use Your Illusion Vol. 1"???

Heinous, my friend.

Also, where is Pearl Jam's "Ten" album??

Dont worry, Ill scrutinize some more later.
Travis Bickle 06-02-2005 08:11 AM
quote:
Originally posted by StevieV019
Mad props for the inclusion of Our Lady Peace's Clumsy album...very underrated (nowadays)...in fact, at this moment, its in my car cd player....very impressive my friend.


Indeed. OLP is an amazing band. Automatic Flowers is one of my favorite songs of all time. However, I'm not too fond of their latest album...

quote:
Originally posted by StevieV019
Props to you for Including STP's much overlooked Tiny Music album as well. However, where is STP's debut, Core? Who can forget about the greatness of that.


Don't get me wrong. Core has it's great share of songs (specifically Dead & Bloated, Plush, Sex Type Thing and Wicked Garden), but, like Purple (the album after it), it's filled with songs that are mediocre in between the really good songs.

The same goes for the highly underrated Shangri-La Dee Da and No. 4. Great albums, but there's a fair amount of things between the meat of the albums that don't seem to catch my attention.

But STP still remains as one of the greatest bands ever...
quote:
Originally posted by StevieV019
The biggest, most reprehensible thing you couldve done, however, you ACTUALLY did. For that, you MUST be shot, dragged around the square by horses, and hung, naked, so the peasants can vomit, defecate, spit, and relieve themselves on you. Big Grin Wink

Where, oh where, is Guns N Roses? Where is "Appetite for Destruction"? And where is "Use Your Illusion Vol. 1"???

Heinous, my friend.


(I'll probobly be killed and/or raped for saying this, but...meh)

I HATE Axl Rose's voice. Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate. I respect Duff McKagan as a bassist (since he is a great bassist) and Slash is one of my favorite guitarists of all time. However, the only reason I own Appetite for Destruction and the Use Your Illusion 1&2 cds just because my ex was mad at me for not having them. In fact, November Rain is one of my least favorite songs of all time. So there Cool

quote:
Originally posted by StevieV019
Also, where is Pearl Jam's "Ten" album??


Jeremy and Evenflow were the only two songs I liked off of it. Everything else from Pearl Jam that I've heard (with the excpetion of the amazing song "Do The Evolution" from Yield) doesn't grab me.

I'm surprised nobody caught that Metallica and Pantera aren't on the list...
Green_Bird 06-02-2005 01:42 PM
I too am tired of the magazines picking over used albums/songs/bands/singers for there list, or choosing new albums/songs/bands/singers and calling them great when there actually mediocre or too redundant to stand the test of time. You have to wonder who is accualy picking those lists because most of those people don't know what true classics are or what good songs/albums are half the time. But, those lists are made to be agreed and dissargreed with....it's just a matter of choice I guess.

Most of the list I agree with....

quote:

  • Siamese Dream
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Cherub Rock (tough call)

  • OK Computer
    Radiohead
    Paranoid Android

  • Tiny Music...Songs From The Vatican Gift Shop
    Stone Temple Pilots
    Ride The Cliché (also tough to call)

  • The White Album
    The Beatles
    Helter Skelter

  • ÆNIMA
    Tool
    Ænima

  • Nevermind
    Nirvana
    Territorial Pissings

  • Clumsy
    Our Lady Peace
    Automatic Flowers

  • The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars
    David Bowie
    Suffragette City

  • Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Porcelina Of The Vast Oceans

  • Raw Power
    Iggy & The Stooges
    Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell

  • Dirt
    Alice In Chains
    Down In a Hole

  • Sparkle And Fade
    Everclear
    Heroin Girl

  • The Wall
    Pink Floyd
    Comfortably Numb

  • Led Zeppelin I
    Led Zeppelin
    Good Times Bad Times

  • Best Of The Doors
    The Doors
    Hello, I Love You

  • Ritual De Lo Habitual
    Jane's Addiction
    Stop

  • The Downward Spiral
    Nine Inch Nails
    Hurt

  • Blood Sugar Sex Magik
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    The Righteous & The Wicked

  • Tommy
    The Who
    Pinball Wizard

  • Runners High
    The Pillows
    Wake Up, Frenzy

  • Chronicle, Vol. 1
    Creedence Clearwater Revival
    Down On The Corner

  • Superunkown
    Soundgarden
    Spoonman

  • Rubberneck
    The Toadies
    Possum Kingdom



(There is a possibility that I forgot some of the other songs names or what they sound like or never heard them or I have never herd of the band before.)

Although, I also dissagree some of your list too...Where's Vs. (Pearl Jam), Pretty Hate Machine (NIN), and Kill'em all/ride the lightning/Master of puppets/...and justice for all/Black album (older Metallica)? Other then that and a few bands I have never herd of, it's a pretty good list Smile ......
StevieV019 06-02-2005 02:53 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Bleedthrough
quote:
Originally posted by StevieV019
Mad props for the inclusion of Our Lady Peace's Clumsy album...very underrated (nowadays)...in fact, at this moment, its in my car cd player....very impressive my friend.


Indeed. OLP is an amazing band. Automatic Flowers is one of my favorite songs of all time. However, I'm not too fond of their latest album...

quote:
Originally posted by StevieV019
Props to you for Including STP's much overlooked Tiny Music album as well. However, where is STP's debut, Core? Who can forget about the greatness of that.


Don't get me wrong. Core has it's great share of songs (specifically Dead & Bloated, Plush, Sex Type Thing and Wicked Garden), but, like Purple (the album after it), it's filled with songs that are mediocre in between the really good songs.

The same goes for the highly underrated Shangri-La Dee Da and No. 4. Great albums, but there's a fair amount of things between the meat of the albums that don't seem to catch my attention.

But STP still remains as one of the greatest bands ever...
quote:
Originally posted by StevieV019
The biggest, most reprehensible thing you couldve done, however, you ACTUALLY did. For that, you MUST be shot, dragged around the square by horses, and hung, naked, so the peasants can vomit, defecate, spit, and relieve themselves on you. Big Grin Wink

Where, oh where, is Guns N Roses? Where is "Appetite for Destruction"? And where is "Use Your Illusion Vol. 1"???

Heinous, my friend.


(I'll probobly be killed and/or raped for saying this, but...meh)

I HATE Axl Rose's voice. Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate. I respect Duff McKagan as a bassist (since he is a great bassist) and Slash is one of my favorite guitarists of all time. However, the only reason I own Appetite for Destruction and the Use Your Illusion 1&2 cds just because my ex was mad at me for not having them. In fact, November Rain is one of my least favorite songs of all time. So there Cool

quote:
Originally posted by StevieV019
Also, where is Pearl Jam's "Ten" album??


Jeremy and Evenflow were the only two songs I liked off of it. Everything else from Pearl Jam that I've heard (with the excpetion of the amazing song "Do The Evolution" from Yield) doesn't grab me.

I'm surprised nobody caught that Metallica and Pantera aren't on the list...


Yeah..I figured there'd be enough Metallica fans mad about it...so I didnt mention them.

Sorry to hear you loathe Axl's voice as much as you do. I guess I can understand it...but at the same time, GNR took rock n roll by storm and turned it on its head. I guess you're going by personal opinion (which is fine) and how the album sounds, as opposed to its position in rock history. (I dont think anybody can dispute GNR's influence at the height of their popularity...) I still think Appetite and Use Your Illusion belongs up there...but to each their own.

Im surprised you didnt like Pearl Jam's "Black"...such a great song, in my opinion. Totally captured me. "Even Flow" has a pretty catching sound as well..but its all good.

I can agree with the following wholeheartedly:
#2,4,6,10,13,22,23,24,34, and 48.
Travis Bickle 06-02-2005 02:57 PM
Now, of couse this is just my opinion, but...

quote:
Originally posted by Green_Bird
Although, I also dissagree some of your list too...Where's Vs. (Pearl Jam), Pretty Hate Machine (NIN), and Kill'em all/ride the lightning/Master of puppets/...and justice for all/Black album (older Metallica)? Other then that and a few bands I have never herd of, it's a pretty good list Smile ......


-I don't like anything by Pearl Jam except a few songs from Ten and Do The Evolution

-Pretty Hate Machine was good, but not great. Listen to With Teeth and you too will realize that it's the best album ever made.

-Epic metal pisses me off. Mettallica's old guitar solos kick ass, but they make up the majority of the song, where as the lyrics take a hit. And the lyrics are all dark and gloomy and become somewhat generic. The Black Album was almost on there but not quite (along with NIN's the Fragile, the AIC Unplugged album, the New Pornographers' Mass Romantic, several Ted Leo/RX albums, and some other things).

And I'm not too fond of Pantera. Dimebag was a kick ass guitarist, but I didn't really care for the music. Cowboys from Hell is the only album that stands out to me, and I really wish it was Phil Anselmo that was shot instead (have you heard Superjoint Ritual? Pretty much all of their songs start off with "1,2,1 2 3 4!" What a piece of crap!)

Other famous bands, in my eyes, that should have never gotten a record deal: Dave Matthews Band, Phish (shut up, hippies, though Trey's solo act is amazing), Good Charlotte, Rancid, Op Ivy, Less Than Jake, and the Used. Remember, this is just my opinion. Feel free to take the time to create your own top 50 list.
Generalissimo D 08-17-2006 06:35 PM
Suffragette City is not the best song on Ziggy Stardust.

Lady Stardust and Five Years ftw.
Travis Bickle 08-17-2006 06:36 PM
I actually changed the whole thing. I was too lazy to put it into text format to post on here, so I just made an IMIX that you can get to via ITUNES:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSto...ix?id=182803800

Keep in mind, it's missing a few albums (such as stuff from Led Zep, The Beatles, etc.) because they're not on ITUNES, but w/e.

Oh, and best album ever is still Siamese Dream, in my opinion.
Generalissimo D 08-17-2006 06:41 PM
Wait a minute.

You don't have any War up there.

The hell?
Hollow XXVI 09-13-2006 12:53 AM
And he has Nirvana on the list so it's automatically negated no matter what.

Beatles beat out by At the Drive In and Mars Volta...hahahhahahahahhaa etc. I have bias towards Smashing Pumpkins sure, but..number one is pushing it, I think.

Wait a minute. I don't even remember what Cherub Rock sounds like. That's the "who wants some honey" one...yeah, I liked Disarm better.

Paranoid Android I'll agree with since..I haven't heard that album.

Ride the Cliche's a very good one but..hell I even like Lady Picture Show.

..why in god's name is there a Tool album this far up the list. Aenima of course is the best off that album.

Nirvana is awful and people only like it so much because Cobain died

...why is a Marilyn Manson album this far, as well? You don't like Axl Rose's voice but you like his? Coma White is good but come on, New Model No.15 is so catchy.

Hahaha good, David Bowie. Some real music.

Smashing Pumpkins..double disc set and you choose Porcelina? I dunno, I always preferred Thirty Three, but I know Billy Corgan got all uppity about making that a single.

Oh wow, Alice in Chains. I prefer Jar of Flies even though it's not a..true album. Dirt is very good BUT I can't really pick a favorite off of it, hard to pick favorites from them. I'll say Rain When I Die and Junkhead are pretty awesome though.

Everclear...oh god I hate that band, wish the guy would have dyed his goatee white

POAFF..? Yeah um, that album is crap..Manson sounds like an amateur on that thing, probably because he was taking things too seriously back then.

Hahaha Weezer..they're alright, well one or two of their songs are.

Pink Floyd..yeah they're overrated but I still enjoy their drug music. You must like really slow stuff though.

Zeppelin..yeah, I don't like Robert Plant's voice

Hahahahhaa Ben Folds, I haven't heard about them in so long. He did well for a dork at the piano.

The Doors...and it's a Best Of. *shakes head*

Jane's Addiction...I liked them in the late 80's, but after that..I'll pass.

Chili Peppers were good back in the Magik days, I'll agree there.

ONOS The Who.

..but hey cool, CCR.

Wow, Soundgarden is really far down. I prefer The Day I Tried to Live

..The Toadies? People still listen to them?

I so wish I could forward this to Dr Thorpe.
Travis Bickle 09-13-2006 12:58 AM
It's really a stupid little list from a year ago that I generated from listening patterns and the like. I still hold the opinion that Siamese Dream is one of the greatest albums ever made, but Abbey Road is pretty much tied with it.

And Nirvana is one of the best bands of the 90's. Better than more than 90% of the emo or metal sh** out today.

Of course, this is all personal preference and the like.
David Ryder 09-13-2006 01:32 AM
Wow! 75, Ummm I can name my top three. i'll try and add some more I suppose.

1.Samaels Ceremony and Rebellion. Classics in the Black Metal genre.

2.In Flames the Jester Race and Lunar Strain. Classic in the Melodic Death Metal world, and every metalcore band owes something to them, well Modern Metalcore.

3.Emperors In the Nightside Eclipse. Another classic in the Black Metal genre. I am the Black Wizards is a song any fan of Black Metal can name by heart.

4. Slayers Reign in Blood. Considered a classic in the Thrash Metal genre. It also influenced the emerging American Death Metal scene, and Black Metal as well.

I can't really comment, on the ones listed above, as I can't for the life of me recall ever listening to them. None on the main stream Black Metal either, That's right Dimmu Borgir, I'm lookin at you.
Hollow XXVI 09-13-2006 01:33 AM
I just have a burning hatred for Nirvana since they get all this credit because Cobain died at a convenient time. Mumbling into a microphone really shouldn't get people that far in life.

Yes, Nirvana is better than Linkin Park, since Nirvana has Heart Shaped Box and Linkin Park has...nothing. Hell I don't even know what they play on the Top 40 stations anymore, I despise radio but am waiting patiently for Casino Royale's theme sung by Chris Cornell to be on the radio come October.
Travis Bickle 09-13-2006 11:51 AM
Cobain was a great songwriter. He couldn't really play the guitar for sh**. But, hell, Elliot Smith and Bright Eyes pretty much mumbled and cried through their entire albums, and they're recognized as amazing artists as well.

And I hate Chris Cornell with a passion. Kim Thayil is awesome, though.
dominusofdeath 09-13-2006 12:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by TanookiJoe
quote:
Originally posted by Zopwx2
Scott, I agree w/ at least 50% of everything on there.

The rest I either haven't heard, or disagree with.

And by "greatest", are we measuring pure awesomness? or should we take into account context, like the cultural / musical impact of an album.


Pretty much my thoughts as well.

P.S. Funhouse is the best Stooges album. Tongue And I thought I was the only person alive under 30 who likes CCR.


Most of the poeple I know round here love CCR.

CCR FTW
Travis Bickle 09-16-2006 11:43 PM
New Top Ten:

10 - The Stooges - Funhouse
9 - Stone Temple Pilots - Tiny Music
8 - Radiohead - OK Computer
7 - Modest Mouse - The Lonseo
6 - The Who - Who's Next
5 - Nirvana - Nevermind
4 - Pink Floyd - Animals
3 - The Beatles - Abbey Road
2 - The Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
1 - Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea

It'll change back and forth as time goes by.