Oingo Boingo

John 09-16-2003 11:45 PM
Anyone ever heard of 'em? I know Danny Elfman was their lead singer (big Tim Burton fan) and someone told me they were good, but I'm still kinda turned off (maybe 'cause of the name). So if any of you have heard 'em please tell me what you think.
C.R Foxhound 09-17-2003 10:01 AM
Yea i heard of em,one of the best 80's band ever(also pne of the most orginal sounding too)

But "Take on me" by A-Ha is my most favorite 80's song ever, and " Billie Jean"

Did you know one of the guys from Devo did the music for Rugrats

Tommy- Whip it!, Whip it good!
Lady Tesser 09-17-2003 03:25 PM
Oingo Boingo did the song 'Dead Man's Party':

I was struck by lighting
Walkin' down the street
I was hit by something last night in my sleep
It's a dead man's party
Who could ask for more
Everybody's comin', leave your body at the door
Leave your body and soul at the door . . .

Perfect song for Halloween!

They also did 'Weird Science'.

(Bits of) my creation--Is it real?
It's my creation--I do not know
No hesitation--No heart of gold
Just flesh and blood--I do not know

From my heart and from my hand
Why don't people understand
My intentions . . . . Oooh, weird . . . .
Weird science!!

Hmm. It does display that touch of Elfman mad genius, doesn't it?
GoGoArlo 09-17-2003 05:39 PM
man i havent heard that band name in ages...yea their pretty good. for a band that now over what 20 yrs old.
Kittie heavenly6 09-17-2003 09:06 PM
Age has nothing to do with how good a band is... Especially if you want to talk about talent. And Oingo Boingo has talent. I love that band, so very much. I recomend them, highly.
el_w00t 09-18-2003 07:35 PM
I've heard a song of theirs...a while back...they're pretty good
SharpDressedMan 09-19-2003 01:46 PM
Hey C.R. Foxhound! Take on me by a-ha is deffinitely one of the best 80s songs of all time but to tell you the truth a-ha has had many more good songs than that. I find it sad that both groups such as a-ha and oingo boingo though talented found very limited success. Perhaps it was just due to the way that they marketed themselves. Thankfully a-ha is still making music and you guys should seriously consider taking a listen. I know the first time I heard the song Minor Earth Major Sky I almost fainted. Trust me and check it out!
StevieV019 09-19-2003 02:34 PM
A-ha and Oingo Boingo had success overseas. They had "one-hit wonders" or little success in the United States. Many bands are like that...they were big hits in Europe especially...

HAHA...the one singer that I like to think of that totally illustrates this point is David Hasselhoff, yep, Mitch Buchanon from Baywatch...horrible singer in the US..little following whatsoever...but people in Europe, I believe its Sweden in particular love him....hahaha
C.R Foxhound 09-19-2003 03:57 PM
Yea i heard he had his own day in Germany, young girls screaming and everything.

To each his own

I wonder how the other members of Oingo Boingo are doing
Snoozy 09-19-2003 04:10 PM
Ahh, Oingo Boingo is fun. I have a couple of their cds that I still listen to once in awhile... It's more for the crazy lyrics than anything, really.

...But now I'm addicted to The Smiths and Duran Duran. Weird combination, huh? Tongue
Shady Dark Lady 10-01-2003 11:41 AM
I liked Dead man's party. I have the cd somewhere in my collection...I have over 300 cds!! Yes I am addicted to my music..
Kittie heavenly6 10-01-2003 08:03 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozy
Ahh, Oingo Boingo is fun. I have a couple of their cds that I still listen to once in awhile... It's more for the crazy lyrics than anything, really.

...But now I'm addicted to The Smiths and Duran Duran. Weird combination, huh? Tongue

I don't think it's that weird. I love both those bands.
maid to last 10-01-2003 09:00 PM
oingo boingo is a quintessential 80's band...they have a unique sound, but they definately do sound....well like an 80's band. not that thats a bad thing!

but the elfman sound from the tim burton films really isn't there, just so u know...but still, danny's voice is awesome, & it's a trip to hear jack skellington's singing voice belting out "wild sex! in the working claaaaass" Wink
John 10-03-2003 12:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by C.R Foxhound

I wonder how the other members of Oingo Boingo are doing

Well Danny Elfman's brother, who was part of the band (I think his name's Robert Elfman or something) directed a couple movies, but I heard that they really suck. Don't know about the others though. Thanks for your help guys. I'll download one of their songs sometime.
Shady Dark Lady 10-03-2003 02:12 PM
They also had a song and video Called
'little girls" or I love little Girls. It was shown on Mtv than banned for being too pedophile-like. It had a grown man holding a young girls hand while singing something like " I love little girls, the make me feel so good" That was kind of creepy..but it was probally done to shock people.
John 10-03-2003 09:16 PM
That does sound creepy...
Generalissimo D 08-09-2005 05:14 PM
Ressurection!

I've known about this band for a while and I must admit, they are fun to listen to. I likey their style. So I thought I'ld call notice to it once more.

Oh. I found a picture of them. It makes me cringe for some reason.

This was Danny Elfman before he began composing. Arent you glad he found Tim Burton?

^_^
Lady Tesser 08-09-2005 07:20 PM
Whoa ... why am I suddenly reminded of my high school Anime Club picture??

(Thank God Elfman grew his hair out - he looks less psycho now.)
Kittie heavenly6 08-09-2005 08:05 PM
Thread moved! Smile
DJX Prime 08-10-2005 12:10 AM
"Got my best suit and my tie
Shiny silver dollar on either eye
I hear the chauffeur comin' to my door
Says there's room for maybe just one more . . ."

God that's some fun stuff! Cool

I remember someone telling me that the rest of the band went Goth and just called themselves Boingo. I'm not sure if that's true or not.

It always seemed that Oingo Boingo was in the movies back in the 80's. They had "Gratitude" on the Beverly Hills Cop soundtrack and "Flesh and Blood" in Ghostbusters II as well as their more well known stuff.