The Legend of Zelda: The Twilight Princess

Randolph 02-20-2006 08:59 PM
They delayed OoT as well. And it's still winning awards.
Patience, sirs. It can only pay off.
Generalissimo D 02-20-2006 09:00 PM
But Nintendo hadn't left us all jaded back then.
Randolph 02-20-2006 09:05 PM
Oh, never mind. Clearly I'm in no shape to be making valid points tonight.
I'll be back tomorrow after I clear my head of this foul strawberry water I've
been ingesting.
Patsai 02-20-2006 09:13 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Lt. Sanji
Now think about nearly all the other Zelda games. Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages/Seasons, Minish Cap, A Link to the Past. All completely original plotlines in my opinion, yet the gameplay is completely solid. I have never played a disappointing Zelda game.

Every game has a different setting and every game has a different Link. I don't know if the same Link has ever been used in two games. That's because he is "the hero of time". He's basically a generic hero who continues to show up in different times and places.

The Zelda games aren't about what OOT "established". They're about creating a completely separate world from our own with characters that interact with each other.

Actually, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask's Link are the same. And while you can argue that Ocarina of Time's plot is unoriginal, people weren't expecting the twist of having Link become kid and adult at will. Also, Ocarina of Time established one thing: creating a solid 3D game during a time when video game developers were having a hard time creating 3D games.

I caught something interesting though. The guy who's directing the The Twilight Princess actually created the game to target North American audiences more than the Japanese, which makes sense considering how absolutely dark this game is. The Cthulu Mytho creatures alone make me want this game to see what different forms of US culture influenced it.
Mugiwara Luffy 02-20-2006 09:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Randolph
Point taken.
I stand corrected.

Ha, I wasn't trying to "correct" you. You've got your opinion, I've got mine. I was just getting it out there.

quote:
Originally posted by Patsai
Actually, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask's Link are the same. And while you can argue that Ocarina of Time's plot is unoriginal, people weren't expecting the twist of having Link become kid and adult at will. Also, Ocarina of Time established one thing: creating a solid 3D game during a time when video game developers were having a hard time creating 3D games.

True, true. I forgot that MM takes place almost directly after OOT.

A recurring element in Zelda games is the idea of the same environment presented at different times or seasons or angles (think Minish Cap) and the idea that Link can travel amongst these different worlds at will. I mean, in Ocarina, he can travel between adulthood and childhood. In Majora's Mask he can control time itself. In Link to the Past, dark world and light world. In Minish Cap, small world and big world. In Ages/Seasons, he controls time once again. And in Wind Waker, he controls the wind, certainly a unique idea.

I guess it's all about giving the player control over some aspect of the world that wouldn't normally be available in real life or even another game.

I don't know why I'm rambling so much. I can't wait for Twilight Princess. Sucks that it's delayed though.

I want a DS Zelda.
Generalissimo D 05-09-2006 04:51 PM

It makes sense now.

TP is going to launch with the Wii.
Hobodoken 05-09-2006 05:22 PM
The re-delay is pissing me off more.

I mean, I can almost understand it, but goddam it, it was supposed to be out November '05. The Wii functionality looks neat, but... a fragging year...
Jstar136 05-09-2006 09:37 PM
Now this is trying my patience, but I will wait until I reach a gamergasm.
Asirt 11-03-2006 10:36 AM
Seven new videos of Twilight Princess now available.

This game is going to be awesome. Big Grin
The Big Finale 11-03-2006 11:15 AM
Spending my emergency never-touch-ever funds to get Wii is looking more and more appealing by the minute.
Jim Starluck 11-03-2006 11:22 AM
Okay. Those are all awesome but the second one sells it for me, because we see both Zelda in her full regalia (for a split-second there at the end) and Link getting the Master Sword.
Mike 11-03-2006 11:42 AM
I think I'm going to be spending a good $500 at the Nintendo Store when Wii comes out, on games, and extra controllers so as to crush my friends at Smash.

And this game is going to be the greatest thing human beings have ever acheived, ever.
Revan 11-03-2006 11:42 AM
This looks set to be one of the best games of the year!
Though I think I'll end up getting the GC version. Don't want to fork out the cash for a Wii....yet... Roll Eyes
Generalissimo D 11-03-2006 04:37 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
I think I'm going to be spending a good $500 at the Nintendo Store when Wii comes out, on games, and extra controllers so as to crush my friends at Smash.

And this game is going to be the greatest thing human beings have ever acheived, ever.

At only little under one grand, too.
Fujiko 11-03-2006 04:59 PM
Okay guys, help me out. I hear TP for GC won't be sold in retail, only online. Is this true? I'd search myself but right now isn't a good time.
Hobodoken 11-03-2006 05:57 PM
I haven't heard anything about TP for GC not being released, though I did hear that it wouldn't be released until early December.
Paradigm Dog 11-21-2006 05:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Fujiko
Okay guys, help me out. I hear TP for GC won't be sold in retail, only online. Is this true? I'd search myself but right now isn't a good time.

It comes out December 11th IN STORES in most countries, but certain countries, like Japan, have opted to have it sold only online. I'm planning on getting the GCN version.
Seihou 11-22-2006 08:29 PM
Same here. I'm probably not getting a Wii this year and my thirst for Twilight Princess is too great.
The Baker St. Irregular 11-22-2006 08:34 PM
Midna fills me with glee. Big Grin
Revan 11-23-2006 02:23 AM
I envy all those who have the Wii version... Big Grin
It's the GC format for me, though it will be released in Europe on 15 Dec (according to wiki) so I will inevitably get it as a christmas present instead. The extra 10 days wait will drive me to the brink of my sanity (more so than usual!) but it will be sooo worth the wait!