A really bad day for a Big-O fan.

paul1290 05-11-2005 06:55 PM
It's May 11, 2005 and I just had a really bad day as a Big-O fan.

Observe:
-I just heard Konaka can no longer show up at the anime convention.
-This is the last day adult swim will be showing Big-O.
-I just presented a powerpoint presentation in class. My classmates briefly saw the Big-O wallpaper that I had on my account on the school computer. They started saying stuff like "Is that Yu-Gi-Oh or something? It looks so stupid and retarded!".
-I was writing my next Dorothy theory and forgot to save! Now I have to type it all over again!
-I just found out my DVDs are actually bootlegs! Now I have to go find some real ones and spend another $60!
-My classmates started poking fun at me for being a fan of Big-O.
-Just as I was thinking it couldn't get any worse, it started raining!

Has anyone ever had a day where being a fan of Big-O was this depressing?
Generalissimo D 05-11-2005 07:15 PM
Dude! That Sucks like hell!

quote:
Originally posted by paul1290
It's May 11, 2005 and I just had a really bad day as a Big-O fan.

Observe:

Theres an anime expression that goes with that. Its purple and looks like you've gone underwater.

quote:

They just cant handle the truth....BAST TARDS!

quote:

-I just presented a powerpoint presentation in class. My classmates briefly saw the Big-O wallpaper that I had on my account on the school computer. They started saying stuff like "Is that Yu-Gi-Oh or something? It looks so stupid and retarded!".

Evil
Retarded? What do they do? Reinact wrestling?

quote:

-I was writing my next Dorothy theory and forgot to save! Now I have to type it all over again!

My sympathies. I lost an entire act of the other coast (yes, an ENTIRE ACT) due to not saving.

quote:

-I just found out my DVDs are actually bootlegs! Now I have to go find some real ones and spend another $60!

That sucks. Big time. The worst day I ever had was when I came over here and found out they were poseur minded idiots with the IQ's of french fries when it came to taste. (FLCL is still mindless lunacy to me. No trying to disillusion me). That bootleg thing is horrid because it ALMOST happened to me. I was about to buy the 20.99 cheap ones at amazon but realized it was crud.
Blue Eagle 05-11-2005 07:21 PM
quote:

Poke back. Preferably with something sharp. Got a thumtack handy?
Some people are morons. If you want to get back at them, convince them to join the marines. My prominent highschool bully was all macho and "wanted to kick some ass"
so he signed up as soon as he got out of school. He was a total thug then, a "gangsta"
if you will. He talked sh**, he dressed in expensive cloths that were designed to look like
they came from the salvation army, he had the bling, the cell phone, the "ride" with the
ultra subwoofers, and he was whiter than the Antarctic in the goddamned dead of winter.

I met him 8 months later and the first thing to come out of his carefully shaven face was:
"Hello, Sir!". He looked like he was late for a lecture at Princeton.

0wned isnt a strong enough word for what they must have done to him.
Pwn3d doesnt even cut it.

I swear to god they must have called in R. Lee Ermey to whip his bum into shape. Big Grin
(And dont think the gunny would'nt do it, either.)
CablesInside 05-11-2005 07:59 PM
it sounds like you are weak in your big o faithSmile

what arguments do they use for picking at you for being a big o fan?

what do they like?
dbz, and evangelion?
or do what i do, and counter with how much you don;t care what they think
Dork 05-11-2005 10:04 PM
I'm sorry to hear about the bootlegs. I have a bookleg FLCL DVD I'm still bitter about. But as for people teasing you just tell them to shut up. There's almost an art to this. I was teased a lot as a kid so I've grown up rather abrasive.

Be confident and snap. Whenever anyone insults you, for anything, tell them to shut up, back off, whatever, and then back it up by defending the thing they insulted. 'Oh shut up, Big O's brilliant'. The real trick to this is to sound pissy and a bit too familiar, as if you're talking to a friend. This confuses the hell out of the people and in it's own way can trick your attackers into thinking the two of you have a closer relationship than you do.

In a more professional environment when you're working along side people with whom professional respect is a big deal you can try a myriad of other tactics like 'Oh shut up, nobody cares about you anyway', 'That would be great if you/your opinion actually mattered' and so on. I had fun with this stuff in high school Big Grin It was an odd high school *_*

Life's too short to deal with idiotcy.

muchlove
-Dork
Xeon Negotiator 05-11-2005 11:30 PM
Hey, do not worry about that stuff. I have received bootleg stuff myself; all my Cowboy Bebop stuff is, and some of my Ghost in the Shell cds are. I just deal with it and report the seller to the FBI and the company (if there is one) that sells it. It is always fun to hear, “thanks, you help in our investigation,” or “this seller will be fined, and removed from our site and your money will be returned.” As for people bugging you, well that what people do. I personally pride myself on being a Big O fan; I wear my Big O sweatshirt all the time to college.
Captain Maw 05-11-2005 11:40 PM
man... paul, can't really help you...
(although you should show who's-who, and what's-what with the big-o haters)
with the bootlegs, report them, i say, at least get some revenge and prevent furthur accidents
ppl at school mak'in fun of you, make them sorry they ever knew you, be creative
Konaka can no longer show up? dang
hang in there, times like this really is like a brick in the face, but it'll look up.
TanookiJoe 05-12-2005 12:01 AM
Man, all that in one day? That's just stupid. Sorry to hear that, Paul.

People never bullied me. I think its because people were kinda scared of me: when I'm calm, I have this sort of menacing, angry stare to my face (people would ask me why I was so angry all the time, and I'd no idea what they were talking about), and I kept to myself. I think people we afraid that if I was teased I would snap and kill them. That's not an accurate picture of me at all, but it's one I think people had.

Not sure if you want to take that course of action. Tongue
BethMcBeth 05-12-2005 01:39 PM
Aww geez I am so sorry that your having a bad day hey don't listen to what the kids say about Anime I mean if they can't even tell the difference between Yugi-oh and Big O then they defently have issues. But I know what you mean comming from there, yor day is bound to get better I hope it does take care.

-Beth
StageActor40 05-12-2005 02:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by paul1290

That sucks. Hopefully anyone else in relation to Big O can answer your questions.

quote:

Looks like I'll be spending the next month or so buying the DVDs then.

quote:

They wouldn't even know the term "Yu-Gi-Oh" if they weren't closet-otaku themselves.

quote:

"Repetition is useful, but repetition with an eye on improvement
takes staleness away." Type it up again and this time look for anywhere you can improve your theory as to not make it a boring and tedious task. You're trying to share something new with the world. There's nothing wrong with having to re-type something once in awhile.

quote:

It'll be (one of) the best $60 you've ever spent on anime.

quote:

See what I said above about closet-otaku.

quote:

-Just as I was thinking it couldn't get any worse, it started raining!

Go splash in some puddles. Tongue

quote:

I already have enough other things to potentially become depressed about. How I entertain myself in my spare time (as long as nobody else gets hurt) is my own business and if anyone pokes fun at me because of it then they're really wasting their time.
Sharpshooter005 05-12-2005 03:57 PM
quote:
0wned isnt a strong enough word for what they must have done to him.

Hell I don't care if it involved car batteries. One less "THUG LYFE" type person in the world, refusing to grow up and toss it aside dosen't bother me in any way.

I can't totally sympathize with being oppressed for liking anime, pretty much everyone I know either likes it or is just totally ambivolent. I've often found myself, in fact, being in the role of the person somewhat nonplussed by the stuff.

Just out of the blue, someone I'd known, who always seemed to be on the same level of fan I am (fairly casual) just starts beaming and goes "I've probably got almost 100 gigs of the stuff at home". I think my record was...almost one and a half GB, and then I finished watching Noir and deleted most of it.

Maybe I'm just being left behind by the rest of you. Tongue

The fact I can't FIND any real torrents for Madlax, which I've grown increasingly interested in seeing, dosen't help.
paul1290 05-12-2005 04:16 PM
Most of my classmates are definatly not anime fans. Everytime they see something anime related, they instantly think of Yu-Gi-Oh and assume that all anime is silly and retarded.

I'm not saying it's a bad show, but I blame Yu-Gi-Oh for this. I'm not blaming the creators of the show, it's still a pretty good show and I watch it occasionally if there is nothing better on. I actually blame Cartoon Network for showing it too much. I mean, 1 out of every 4 times I switch on Cartoon Network, they are showing Yu-Gi-Oh! It may be a ok show, but showing it that much has seriously hurt what people think of anime.

The evidence: Whenever I show a power point presentation and they see my Big-O wallpaper for a short time, someone always seems to ask "Is that Yu-Gi-Oh?".

Again, I'm not saying Yu-Gi-Oh is stupid. I'm just saying that the fact that Cartoon Network shows it so often is stupid.

Oh no! Tommorow is Friday the 13th! Shocked
Spoderman 05-12-2005 06:27 PM
I used to be an anime fan, but now I can't stand the stuff. Seriously, I look back and wonder how I was ever into that crap (no offense meant. You can do whatever you want with your time).

However, Big O is different; its just not like other anime. When I first saw it on Toonami, I thought it was awful. It moved way too slow and hardly made any sense.

When it came to Adult Swim though, I took a second look, and found myself totally immersed in the plot. It would take all night for me to describe the intricacies of the show that are just so appealing to me. Its a serious show with a deep, meaningful message. It breaks away from the traditional anime crap by featuring realistically drawn characters and almost totally, thankfully, leaving out the horrible anime humor (i.e. I make a bad joke and everyone falls down; sweatdrop... that stuff). The exception to this rule is any episode with Beck in it, but considering that he's a fool, its kind of appropriate and tasteful, and STILL they don't lay it on thick.

I don't want to hear about how great Cowboy Bebop or whateverthehell is. Big O is just my kind of show, even if it happens to be an anime. There's not one thing I can find wrong with it.

EDIT: If you're a card player like me (Poker, Euchre, Magic) then you probably know that Yugioh is the funniest show on television. I don't care about the plot or really anything that goes on in the show, but the dialogue alone would send Joel and the Robots into hysterical convulsions. The show is hilarious seriously because it sucks so much.

But anyone who watches yugioh without making fun of it is either five, or in serious need of life re-evaluation.
Blue Eagle 05-12-2005 08:25 PM
No, Inuyasha is the show that is so bad it will make you laugh your balls off.
If you happen to be female, you will grow balls and then procede to laugh them off.
Pero_Is_Crying 05-12-2005 08:56 PM
Somebody once told me that all anime was just like Speed Racer and she couldn't tell the difference. She still kids me about liking Speed Racer. Now, I'd rather watch my own autopsy than Speed Racer. I'll watch Stand Alone Complex, Cowboy Bebop, and Big O. That anyone could mistake any of those with Speed Racer boggles the mind. Or maybe I just missed the episode where Speed had to hunt down the ex-CIA agent that skins people alive.
Peeps Bucket 05-12-2005 09:09 PM
I feel for you on the bootleg thing. I have one myself, and there is no way to freaking turn off subtitles, and the video is way too dark. At least it was cheap. But I'll certainly get some better quality official ones soon.

However, I absolutely love rain. So that would have fixed the day for me.
Captain Maw 05-12-2005 09:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Spoderman
I used to be an anime fan, but now I can't stand the stuff. Seriously, I look back and wonder how I was ever into that crap (no offense meant. You can do whatever you want with your time).

However, Big O is different; its just not like other anime. When I first saw it on Toonami, I thought it was awful. It moved way too slow and hardly made any sense.

When it came to Adult Swim though, I took a second look, and found myself totally immersed in the plot. It would take all night for me to describe the intricacies of the show that are just so appealing to me. Its a serious show with a deep, meaningful message. It breaks away from the traditional anime crap by featuring realistically drawn characters and almost totally, thankfully, leaving out the horrible anime humor (i.e. I make a bad joke and everyone falls down; sweatdrop... that stuff). The exception to this rule is any episode with Beck in it, but considering that he's a fool, its kind of appropriate and tasteful, and STILL they don't lay it on thick.

I don't want to hear about how great Cowboy Bebop or whateverthehell is. Big O is just my kind of show, even if it happens to be an anime. There's not one thing I can find wrong with it.

EDIT: If you're a card player like me (Poker, Euchre, Magic) then you probably know that Yugioh is the funniest show on television. I don't care about the plot or really anything that goes on in the show, but the dialogue alone would send Joel and the Robots into hysterical convulsions. The show is hilarious seriously because it sucks so much.

But anyone who watches yugioh without making fun of it is either five, or in serious need of life re-evaluation.

rock on! you'd be surprised to know the # of ppl who usually do not like anime, but have the big o as an exception.

btw, yu-gi-oh is hilarious, their entire lives are based on a card game!!!! now that is funny...
R and D 05-16-2005 07:48 AM
yugioh is funny. welcome to a world of cards in which the cards have the power to destroy the world. now that's jack up. Tongue

anyway, don't sweat it! those people who don't like big o don't know what they are missing. they are porbably people who are afraid to try new things!
ROnin 05-16-2005 09:01 PM
That sucks man, but you just have to remember that most people are pretty ignorant when it comes to the whole anime thing. Mostly resorting to either bashing it or just laughing at those "geeks" who watch it. Very sad considering Id rather have my kids watching anime then the mind numbing crap they call , childrens cartoons, playing on the networks today. Like the new ninja turtles, man when I was a kid the orginal was the sh*#. Now it is literally sh*&
Spoderman 05-17-2005 08:27 PM
Hahaha there's an episode of yugioh where yugi and his friends are out in the desert for no reason at all, and some bandits on motorcycles come and beat the crap out of them. The blonde girl comes to the rescue on a motorcycle by throwing her cards at the bandits.

I nearly peed myself.