'Louie Louie': You Gotta Go

Negotiator_Roger_Smith 05-05-2005 12:21 PM
story link

BENTON HARBOR, Mich., May 5, 2005
(AP) A pop culture controversy that has simmered for decades came to a head when a middle school marching band was told not to perform "Louie Louie."

Benton Harbor Superintendent Paula Dawning cited the song's allegedly raunchy lyrics in ordering the McCord Middle School band not to perform it in Saturday's Grand Floral Parade, held as part of the Blossomtime Festival.

In a letter sent home with McCord students, Dawning said "Louie Louie" was not appropriate for Benton Harbor students to play while representing the district — even though the marching band wasn't going to sing it.

Band members and parents complained to the Board of Education at its Tuesday meeting that it was too late to learn another song, The Herald-Palladium of St. Joseph reported.

(AP)
"It's very stressful for us to try to come up with new songs for the band," eighth-grader Laurice Martin told the board. "We're trying to learn the songs from last year, but some of us weren't in the band last year."

Dawning said that if a majority of parents supports their children playing the song, she will reconsider her decision.

"It was not that I knew at the beginning and said nothing," Dawning said. "I normally count on the staff to make reliable decisions. I found out because a parent called, concerned about the song being played."

"Louie Louie," written by Richard Berry in 1956, is one of the most recorded songs in history. The best-known, most notorious version was a hit in 1963 for the Kingsmen; the FBI spent two years investigating the lyrics before declaring they not only were not obscene but also were "unintelligible at any speed."
evanASF27 05-05-2005 12:38 PM
bulls**t....our High School band has played Louie Louie for over 20 years (some of the parents remember the band playing it when THEY were students).

Obsene? HA! What about all this modern crap that has actual CURSES in them? Is that not obscene enough for them? They should get their priorities straight. Oh Well Mad
Mike 05-05-2005 12:59 PM
Dude, Louie Louie doesn't even have real words. How can it be inappropriate?
Mugiwara Luffy 05-05-2005 02:09 PM
What's all the hubbub? What's so bad about the song?
Captain Maw 05-05-2005 02:13 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Lt. Sanji
What's all the hubbub? What's so bad about the song?

yeah, i don't get it. nothing wrong with it. i think Barney's "I love you" song is more offensive than this at any rate.
Mike 05-05-2005 02:41 PM
I know that in the 60s some guy thought that the mumbled lyrics were something obscene. But professional linguistics-people listened to it over and over and proved it was just drunken mumbling.
Travis Bickle 05-05-2005 02:59 PM
I'm anti-"Louie Louie".

It brings back bad memories from a marching band...
StevieV019 05-05-2005 03:09 PM
Louie Louie being inappropriate...hmmm...

They're just playing the song, right, not singing the lyrics?

The lyrics do describe a girl and how the singer is lusting over her...but of course only bits and pieces can actually be heard or understood...
evanASF27 05-05-2005 03:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by GAT-X105
I know that in the 60s some guy thought that the mumbled lyrics were something obscene. But professional linguistics-people listened to it over and over and proved it was just drunken mumbling.

Down Periscope Big Grin

heh

The best use of Louie Louie EVER!!
TanookiJoe 05-05-2005 10:20 PM
Ironically, while the lyrics to "Louie Louie", aren't obscene, the original version does have cursing: at one point the drum loses his stick and says "F*ck" loud enough to be heard on the recording.
Fujiko 05-05-2005 10:29 PM
I think Snopes can clear this up for us. Big Grin

Basically, it was all a big misunderstanding, due to, as usual, people with paranoia.
NVWC2006 05-09-2005 08:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
bulls**t....our High School band has played Louie Louie for over 20 years (some of the parents remember the band playing it when THEY were students).

Obsene? HA! What about all this modern crap that has actual CURSES in them? Is that not obscene enough for them? They should get their priorities straight. Oh Well Mad

Most bands that I know of don't play any real modern songs with obsenities in them. The most modern song I've heard played in a marching band is Hey-Ya.

I have a copy of Louie, Louie, on my computer (we played it in 8th grade at school). It's hard to tell. I've found different lyrics online, some okay, some really bad, and they BOTH sound corectt. Freaky.
The Baker St. Irregular 05-09-2005 09:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27

Exactly. My marching band plays that song every time we go out for a game. Nobody freakin' cares. 99% of the people at my school most likely do not even know that "Louie, Louie"'s lyrics actually mean something. Mad Oh, how amusing it is every time something like this happens! It's a bleeding riot.
BethMcBeth 05-10-2005 02:17 PM
Ah geez thats just sad I mean first of all thse kids worked so hard to learn that song and right before the event they are under stress to re learn a new song thats ashame. I mean honstely if they are not even singing the lyrics then who cares I mean I am sure that no one really even cares they just want to see their kids preform. Poor kids.

-Beth