Episode 25 Discussion: "Words of Farewell"

Shredder 04-30-2005 10:26 PM
It's almost time for ep 25 of FMA! I hope you've avoided spoilers if you're seeing it for the first time, since it is a turning point in the series...
Travis Bickle 04-30-2005 10:29 PM
This is one of my favorite episodes in the series. I want to see how the dub turned out.
dominusofdeath 04-30-2005 10:58 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
WHAT THE CRAP! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
spoiler (highlight to read):
And what was the deal with the seeing him at the station?
Negotiator_Roger_Smith 04-30-2005 11:00 PM
i think ed saw a ghost of him at the end but i could be wrong! i am just guessing
Green_Bird 04-30-2005 11:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by DominusofDeath
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
WHAT THE CRAP! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
And what was the deal with the seeing him at the station?

My guess...sort of his ghost or something...

Sad episode....though I may have to wach the replay seeing as how my dad walked right in right in the middle of it again. But still...it was good....even if I was sort of spoiled as to what happened before hand...
angelcakes 04-30-2005 11:02 PM
WTF! WHY! NOT FAIR!!!

That's just not fair! Is it some crappy anime law that all the fun people have to go and die on us! Why in gods good earth did they kill Maes T__T So totally unfair.

This really pisses me off...like really really pisses me off.

DoD, I think that was a memory Ed was having...for one reason or another.
Dork 04-30-2005 11:02 PM
That sucked on a number of levels.

In the long term probably in a good way but, wow, I'll miss him Frown

muchlove
-Dork
Sephiroth 04-30-2005 11:08 PM
That episode, was so sad. Hughes was such a great guy and then they had to kill him. That is one of the reasons I hate Envy. Worst Homunculus ever! Plus, he did it disguised as Hughes' wife. That's just not right, no matter how you slice it. Though, Hughes certainly did go out with a bang. He definatly proved why he was in the military. The things he did to Lust and Envy would have killed any normal person. Alas, they were in no way normal. Also, during that chase scene, Douglas was revealed to be Sloth. If you didn't pick up on that, Lust calls her that after she gets stabbed in the forehead.

Speaking of Sloth, I'm not sure what to make of the Douglas story. I highly doubt that she was in the war in Ishbaal. However, I'm not sure of when the war took place, so I can't be positive.

Regardless, this was a great episode. Definatly one of the saddest in a long while. Hughes' daughter's crying at his funeral actually made me shed a tear. That was just so terribly sad. I liked how we actually saw Mustang cry. He tries to be so strong all the time, but it becomes pretty apparent that he relies on Hughes a lot more than anyone could guess.

Oh, and did anyone else find it odd to see Mustang with facial hair, and Hughes without it. It seemed really wierd to me. It felt wrong.

Finally, for those who have seen the rest of the series. Was the pale man at the funeral (next to Hawkeye, I think) Archer? I have only seen one image of him, but I know he becomes slightly important later on.
R.Smith 04-30-2005 11:18 PM
While I've only seen at least 5 episodes of FMA, I had started to like most of the characters, and...well....its always sad when the story goes an has one be killed..... Crying

His daughter's questions at the funeral was especially sad, since she is too young to understand that her father isn't going to be waking up.

I just happen to have this image of Ed and Al, which just conveys the feeling after this episode:

In memory:

Is this the last new episode we'll be seeing for a while, or is there one more?
AlexRosewater 04-30-2005 11:22 PM
That was the saddest episode of any Anime I have seen in a very very very long time. Hughes WHY WHY WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I practically cried my face off andI hope he comes back some how...
Ace378 04-30-2005 11:39 PM
>< One of the worst episodes of the series imo. He just seemed like one of the coolest characters to just have had that happen to him!
Shredder 04-30-2005 11:46 PM
This episode is very sad but really well done ...it was so unexpected when I saw it the first time and Hughes is such a great character. Frown Why'd it have to be him?

Sephiroth:
Yes, that was Archer. He becomes a more major character later on.

R.Smith: There's one more after this before the break, but I don't know why they didn't stop it here...
Wingnut 04-30-2005 11:54 PM
At least he got in one more crack about Mustang needing to get a wife before he went. (Said wife should be Hawkeye imo.)
On an obvously overlooked note we learn that Scar's right arm (the one with the tatoo) is accually the arm of his older brother, attached much like Vash the Stampede's left arm was attached to the leader of the Gung-ho guns.
Amaya-chan 05-01-2005 12:05 AM
I'm still new to FMA, but I was really upset over a character's death. The funeral part with his daughter asking why they were burying him is the saddest thing I have ever seen in an anime. I just lost my grandfather a few weeks ago, so this really hit me and I broke down. Crying
Dingo 05-01-2005 12:06 AM
I can sum up this episode in one word.... GASP!

I really didnt expect this to happen.... I am sad now.
Negotiator_Roger_Smith 05-01-2005 12:24 AM
it is ashame it was good family guy! they should kill off some other guy! like they alway kill off the red shirt guys on star trek!
Captain Maw 05-01-2005 12:57 AM
that was SO low to do that to Hughes...
man.... [moment of silence]
good man.
why do the Homunculi bleed? weirded out. damnit, somebody should've told Hughes about them!
btw, does he have any more appearances in the episodes to come?
Raven 05-01-2005 01:58 AM
Wow, that was great. All I can say is it's about time they got rid of Hughes. Envy is my hero.

I must also say that was a horrible scene with his daughter at the funeral. I think it has to do with bad dubbing, but I found it very cheesy.
Zopwx2 05-01-2005 02:33 AM
Best Episode Ever.

And silly me for thinking it was going to be another filler episode. (Thats probably next week Tongue )

This really suddenly made us rexamine Hughes's character and it suddenly gave him more depth.

He and his daughter weren't just running comic relief gags, he became a martyr for the show.
BabyGhia 05-01-2005 03:07 AM
Hughes is going to be missed. He had become one of my favorite characters.

Unfortunately, this had ended up being one of the spoilers I ran into. I was upset when I found out and I'm still upset now. Why Hughes???

Sad episode. But a well written one. Crying

BabyGhia