Episode 25 Discussion: "Words of Farewell"

Sephiroth 05-01-2005 12:30 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Maw
that was SO low to do that to Hughes...
man.... [moment of silence]
good man.
why do the Homunculi bleed? weirded out. damnit, somebody should've told Hughes about them!
btw, does he have any more appearances in the episodes to come?

I don't think this is a spoiler. The Homunculi bleed, because they are made to be human. They are scientifically complete. Every part of them is like that of a normal human being. They are alive, and living things have blood in them. Having a fully living vessel for a soul is really the whole premise of a homunculus.
Captain Maw 05-01-2005 01:43 PM
spoiler?
i'm new to the show, and they explain the Homunculi previously. thank you Sephiroth.
btw, when to Ed, Al, and Winry find out about this?
ravenlore 05-01-2005 03:33 PM
i would just like to add my
"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"
to the chorus...

good man. good spouse, good father, good friend.
went down fighting/working.
such a loss.

i've heard the dub of the funeral scene was badly done, and Elicia did sound a little too mature for her years, but the "daddy get up!" line just about killed me.
evanASF27 05-01-2005 06:36 PM
This had to be the most dramatic episode (in my mind) so far. The episode was unbelievable...this feels so much like the long wait between Twisted Memories and The Big Fight, but I feel even more anxious now.
Madrona 05-02-2005 12:11 AM
quote:
Originally posted by BabyGhia
Hughes is going to be missed. He had become one of my favorite characters.

Unfortunately, this had ended up being one of the spoilers I ran into. I was upset when I found out and I'm still upset now. Why Hughes???

Sad episode. But a well written one. Crying

BabyGhia

And you know how hard it was to keep that a secret? It broke my heart to find out and I've known for quite a long time. It's taught me one thing for sure:
spoiler (highlight to read):
DON'T READ THE SPOILERS YOU IDIOT!!!! Well, that and don't read too far into the manga.....

Did anyone else see how Maes stashed one of his knifes(spades) in the back of his belt?

Did you notice how quickly Maes picked up on Maria Ross not being Maria Ross?

I'd like to point out how far and deep the realtionship is between Roy & Maes. Maes did not want Roy to dabble with the taboo stuff because he knows the punishment. Roy trusted him enough to tell him what he wanted to do. That was the beginning of the agreement between them to change the way things were going to be in Amestris. ( It's not just about miniskirts) Roy may seem like a ladies man and Maes the goofy obsessed father, but those images only hide what's really going on. Now, Maes' recommendation to Roy a few weeks ago is more important that ever: He needs people behind him, that he can trust. We know Hawkeye is on board. And probably everyone else we've seen.

I'll be watching the reruns and look forward to more.

EDIT: One More thing! I felt that the little speech that Hawkeye gave Roy was very similiar in tone to the one that Ross gave Ed a few episodes ago.

Madrona
Gato Gurl914 05-03-2005 02:57 PM
i cried. espesially during elisia's part....
Barrin 05-03-2005 11:43 PM
Damnit! I saw it coming and I didn't brace myself for it. The last goodbye, the firing of the yomiko/nenene clone, him going knowing it was a trap, that picture falling out of his pocket; all of these plot points pointed to him biting the dust soon. I guess any preparedness I might've had disappeared when Envy took on that form. So sad. When the ending credits were scrolling by, I was yelling, 'HUGHES!!!" Geez, it's easy to conform that this series is gonna make you cry.

Is this the saddest anime death? Yes and no. Yes because he died halfway though the series. The only other time I can think to where that happened was Roy Folker in Robotech/Macross. No because it just isn't. Tonight's episode of Trigun (Paradise) has a death that's sadder to me. Also, no sadness for death can top Grave of the Fireflies.

*sighs* With Hughes gone, do you think we can get a laugh out of Roy Mustang anymore?
Ano Hito 05-04-2005 04:59 PM
I was unspoiled, but I figured he was a goner as soon as he told the secretary what he knew. In anime, people who know too much usually end up toast.

Saddest death in an anime for me was the death of Spike in Cowboy Bebop.
Delirious 05-04-2005 07:39 PM
What I don't get is if Hughes knew she was a Homunculi, why did he just leave after he slit her throat and say he was going home? Why didn't he try to capture her to interogate her or something? Confused
Sephiroth 05-05-2005 11:55 PM
quote:
Originally posted by red tomato
What I don't get is if Hughes knew she was a Homunculi, why did he just leave after he slit her throat and say he was going home? Why didn't he try to capture her to interogate her or something? Confused

Umm, lets see. If Hughes knew Lust was a homunculi, he would have known that his attack wouldn't have killed her. Also, Sloth was standing right next to him. Not only that, how would he have known that there was not another homunculi there, or troops coming to hunt him down. We didn't see Gluttony, he could have been behind another door. He wasn't exactly in the position ot capture someone.
Captain Maw 05-06-2005 12:19 AM
well, 3(+? maybe) Homunculi VS. Hughes.. yeah, he's a good fighter, but no way outta that one. i'd pay a buck to see it, a good battle nevertheless.
hindsight is 20/20, if Hughes knew that they couldn't die, he probably wouldn't have gone there in the first place, or at least brought reinforcements or w/e.
omg, i just spilled an entire cup of water while typing the last sentence.
Seebachs Supporter 05-06-2005 12:25 AM
Sad Episode indeed, I never really watched FMA too much, But i liked Maes a real lot, Did not suspect him to die into a few certain points in tonights episode...

Im a little lost on lust an the envy people though.. still do not get the whole concept, but wasnt envy his cloested soldier, named ross i believe?not sure..But sad to see betrayal an his furneral.
Krang 05-06-2005 12:33 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Seebachs Supporter
Im a little lost on lust an the envy people though.. still do not get the whole concept, but wasnt envy his cloested soldier, named ross i believe?not sure..But sad to see betrayal an his furneral.

Envy has the ability to change his appearance, so he was only pretending to be Ross so that Hughes wouldn't suspect him. Envy even forgot a minor detail when copying Ross's appearance, which led Hughes to discover that it wasn't actually her.
Seebachs Supporter 05-06-2005 12:42 AM
Ahh i See Now, So is ross dead?.I Suppose if she were still living, she would of tried to intervene at that point an try to kill envy.
Krang 05-06-2005 01:32 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Seebachs Supporter
Ahh i See Now, So is ross dead?.I Suppose if she were still living, she would of tried to intervene at that point an try to kill envy.

No, she's still alive, she just wasn't there at the time. From after Hughes leaves his house to the funeral scene, every instance of Ross you see (including the shooting scene) is actually Envy in disguise.
AnimeMoose 07-08-2005 03:04 AM
Still can't get over hughes death.. I liked him only reason i watched the show was because of him... I wish he came back with armor like Alphonse.... well the new season is coming up.