Land of the Dead trailer now up

Sharpshooter005 04-28-2005 01:09 AM
So its probably kind of common knowledge that I'm an unrepentant zombie movie fan.

And this summer, the fourth film from the director who pretty much invented the genre (at least as we know it today) is out.

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/georgearomeroslandofthedead.html

There are parts of this I'm not too thrilled about. The "intelligent zombie" thing makes SOME sense, as this is in keeping with the first three (night of the living dead=the zombies used crude tools, dawn of the dead=tools and "memories", day of the dead=Bub, the talking, saluting, gun wielding zombie.)

Theres a scene where what I THINK is supposed to be the "alpha zombie" fires a gun. Though it could just be a person splattered with some gore.

The music, but keep in mind this is a trailer. Trailers usually just have whatever music they can throw in as I understand. Also..this is merely the first one. If its like the other films, I wouldn't expect anything too intrusive.

I'm probably heavily, heavily biased here. As..well..I'm a big fan of the original trilogy. But I'm fairly hopeful about this one.
Travis Bickle 04-28-2005 01:20 AM
I saw the first one and thought it was ok. Then I saw the remake of Dawn of the Dead and loved it, only because they shot a baby in the face. If they can top shooting a baby in the face (ie. killing a zombie nun or something of the sort), then this would probobly the best movie of the year.
Hienrich Ele 04-28-2005 09:13 AM
Freaking George A. Romero is doing another zombie movie! Yes!

I am, also, a zombie movie fan. After I watched Dawn Of The Dead Remake, I rented the last two of the original triology, and it was pretty damn good.

Therefore I got the "Zombie Survival Guide" From Barnes and Nobles.

Now this is a movie I just have to see.
Sharpshooter005 04-28-2005 07:37 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
(ie. killing a zombie nun or something of the sort)

Dawn of the Dead ('78 version) has:

Zombies emerging from a wedding, one still in a brides dress and so on.

And a Zombie Hare Krishna, who periodically pops up.

There may or may not have been a zombie nun, also. I forget off the top of my head.

EDIT: Fun fact, the closing music to "Robot Chicken" is the mall muzak from the original Dawn of the Dead, but..with clucking, of course. I initially thought it was just incredibly similar, but..that HAS to be intentional.
Travis Bickle 04-28-2005 07:45 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
And a Zombie Hare Krishna, who periodically pops

Now I HAVE to see that.
Hienrich Ele 04-28-2005 07:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
And a Zombie Hare Krishna, who periodically pops

Now I HAVE to see that.

That is the reason why I was rooting for the zombies in that movie. I loved the Krishna zombie. Looked so cool!

And I told everybody about this movie, because this is the first time I heard of it. Apparently, my old english teacher loves Romero's movies, and was intrigued by this one.
Buck Buck #1 04-28-2005 08:11 PM
I need to watch the first three. this new one looks pretty sweet.
Sharpshooter005 04-29-2005 01:13 AM
Also the zombie with the rifle (don't bother looking for it, its directly in a number of shots, prominently featured) was one of the movies production managers.

Oh, and if you're still on the fence about renting this..they throw pies at zombies at one point. How can you not like that.

Part of me really wants to someday drive out to the monroeville mall (its..somewhere in pennsylvania, western PA I think.), just to see how much of it is still intact from the filming. I know the ice rink is now a food court, and the gun shop wasn't even in the mall, but I think the escelator and so on are still the same.
BethMcBeth 04-29-2005 07:25 AM
Looks kind of interesting personally I really love Shaun of the Dead Big Grin

-Beth
Sharpshooter005 05-01-2005 05:39 PM
Apparently Romero liked that movie so much, that the guy who played shaun will have a cameo appearance (as a zombie, of course) in Land of the Dead.
Captain Maw 05-01-2005 09:32 PM
yeah, in Day of the Dead, Romero is a cameo, he's pushing a cart as a zombie, too bad you only see him waist down. I think Night of the Living Dead was the best zombie film out there. Second best is 28 Days Later. yeah, 28 Days Later is what made me a zombie movie fan.
Sharpshooter005 05-03-2005 07:48 PM
They technically weren't zombies.

They die of natural causes after a while, and also are seen feeding on corpses. Zombies go for the living, also they're by nature already dead. Not just infected.

The infected also talk, in the scene at the gas station (yes, it was a reference to dawn of the dead) the kid he kills says "I hate you" before being disposed of.

Great movie though. And also its spawned the new debate that always pops up whenever zombie movies are mentioned, "does it count as one."

It was probably meant more as some message on pandemics and super-viruses. Or thats what the little documentary thing on the dvd leads me to believe.

I'm just glad they didn't go with the endings where
spoiler (highlight to read):
The blood is drained from the infected father, and replaced with the main characters.
as they say in the commentary, that was implausible even for a movie of this type.
Captain Maw 05-03-2005 08:06 PM
are you reffering to 28 days later?
well, c'mon.... you gotta push technicalities aside and say it's a zombie flick, because it's pretty darn close. i actually like the 28 days explanation because it has some sort of non-divine explanation to it. (btw, remember Shaun of the Dead? the news reports now discard the theory that this was caused by rage induced monkies)
Pero_Is_Crying 05-21-2005 11:17 AM
Gee, you wouldn't think a short trailer for a zombie movie would elicit a girlish squeal of joy, but I'm so happy I could drop dead right now and eat Dennis Hopper. THANK YOU, GEORGE! And thank you, Sharpshooter, for pointing out the trailer. I'm sending the link to all my zombie buddies right now.
NightRanger 05-21-2005 11:59 AM
This should be interesting. I've been interested in George Romero movies ever since I saw "MONKEY SHINES" a couple of months back.
Travis Bickle 05-21-2005 01:45 PM
Oh yeah...forgot to put this here (does it go here?)

Romero is directing a "Dead" video game called City of the Dead. It's pretty much a shooting game, but you actually get to play as a charachter Tom Savini plays (yeah, he's so in it), so it has to kick ass.

It's for the PS2, Xbox and PC.

Woo woo...
Sharpshooter005 06-10-2005 10:30 PM
When theres no more room in hell, this thread will walk the earth.

(The new, slightly longer trailer.)

http://www.lotdunseen.com/qt/trailer_l.mov

Dennis Hopper has another line in here too.

"In a world where the dead are returning to life, the word 'trouble' loses much of its meaning"
Travis Bickle 06-24-2005 08:31 PM
I just got back from it. I have to say that George Romero is probobly a huge Maddox fan, because it had everything he could possibly want in a movie:

-Lesbians being eaten
-a bride being shot in the face
-clowns eating people
-titties
-skateboarders getting their sh** ruined
-autority figures being disembowled and eaten
-rich people being shot and eaten
-women being punched in the face by heavyset hispanic men
-hookers smoking pot in plain view IN JAIL
-old people being run over by a bus/tank/train
-Dennis Hopper getting blown to pieces
-John Lequizamo living up to his Hispanic stereotypes
-zombies tackling women
-The old "Hey, what's that over there?!" and the *POW!* shot in the face trick!

And best of all, which actually somehow managed to top Ving Rhames' shooting-a-baby-in-the-face-with-a-shotgun antics:

A mentally retarded person (not that I have anything against them, which I don't, because that's just wrong) shooting a midget (wearing a pimp suit and a cowboy hat) in the face

It's not really a zombie horror movie. It's more a coming-of-age story about an unnamed African American zombie who has difficulty dealing with reality and how his kind are poorly treated, where he tries to make a name for himself by leading his people to freedom. On the way there, he meets new friends, learns new tricks/skills (shooting, swimming, etc), and learns about the basics of life, the universe and everything.

Better than The Notebook or POTO anyday.

-Scott
Hienrich Ele 06-24-2005 10:19 PM
Bleedthrough. Do not take this the wrong way, but I hate you...

I have to wait until Sunday to see it. My friend is seeing it for his birthday. I am sooooooooo (Add a few more o's for me) bring my trusty Zombie Survival Guide.

And from your spolier part in that post... YES....

I'll be squeeling like a little school girl... Wait... I didn't mean that...
Sharpshooter005 06-25-2005 09:22 AM
Well, I was wrong to doubt this movie. It works, it works perfectly.

While I kind of zoned out towards the end (due mainly to no sleep last night), I can still safely say this movie won't disappoint. I'll try not to give too much away.

The general atmosphere of the film is perfect. From the slums of the outer city, to the inner sanctum of "Fiddlers Green" (and for once, Dennis Hopper dosen't chew the scenery in his typical madman role, but gives a much more restrained performance) everything fit. Tiny, tiny details even, such as a post-apocalyptic punch and judy show of sorts. With a zombie punch of course. The idea of a beleagured world where the risen dead are merely an uncomfortable reality is hammered home. The dead have become so commonplace, that captive zombies are even used as sideshow amusements.

The rifts among the living provide a nice change of pace from the lone holdout of survivors versus the world the previous films contained. Not to say there isn't plenty of gore filled zombie splatter scenes. The main cast, aside from hopper, all preform admirably. It isn't going to be an ensemble cast of oscar proportions, but the actors manage to avoid being wooden zombie fodder with periodic lines.

While many, including myself, were worried about the idea of "intelligent" zombies, it was pulled off brilliantly. They aren't really "thinking", they're acting more like pack animals, with an alpha zombie of sorts. Yes they use guns, but it's not as if they just grab one and suddenly become an undead Marine.
The "alpha zombie" big daddy finds one by complete chance, basically getting the sling caught on his arm. After fiddling with it for a while, he manages to make it work. Other zombies with guns are "trained" in a similar fashion, Big Daddy basically shoves the gun into their hand, pulls the trigger for them, and blindly sweeps it across any humans nearby. The zombies don't so much work together, as "learn' through exhaustive trial and error, or follow the lead of Big Daddy
The previous traits the zombies held are all here...they remember, on some distant level, what they were in life. Big Daddy stumbles around his forsaken gas station, vainly searching for cars that will never come. Butchers clutch their cleavers as if they were extensions of their body, theres even a three man band that shuffles blindly, attempting to utilize their instruments to no avail.

As for gore..this is how a zombie film should be done. The creeping (not running, not sprinting) hordes, killing through attrition rather than agility, swarming the living until their prey makes a misstep, then going for the kill. Blood pours, organs are consumed. If you want blood and guts, you won't walk out of this thinking something was held back.

This film seems like an example of what the much maligned Day of the Dead very well COULD have been, if Romero's budget had matched his vision. Indeed, parts of the script are lifted directly from the original, unfilmed Day script.

The ending was the weakest part, but it was..maybe..2 minutes out of 90 or so.

If this is truly the closing chapter in the series, it's very fitting. But if, as I've read somewhere, Romero wants to make more living dead films after this...then he's more than proven he still has the ability to do so.

EDIT: Oh right, in..this or some other thread, I think someone asked about a zombie priest in Dawn of the Dead...well, this movies got you covered (at least I could swear I saw the collar on one of them). And as a bonus, this zombie had...kind of an "interesting" condition as far as the head..