Artical from AnimeFringe about FMA

AlexRosewater 04-27-2005 08:15 PM
Anime Fringe about FMA

I read the artical about it on the web site and thought it was nicly written but I really really don't agree with it though about pointing out all of Fullmetal Alchemist flaws but then again it's their opinon. I post it on here for one reason... to get feed back from true fans..
Shredder 04-27-2005 11:26 PM
I know there's a warning at the top, but that article really does have major spoilers about the ending of the series. A lot of this won't make sense to the majority of people here who (I assume) are seeing it for the first time on CN. Personally, I wouldn't recommend reading it if you haven't seen the whole series, since it's mostly a critique of the ending. I think we should return to this after the series for more interesting discussion. Plus there's a lot I don't agree with, but I'll say more later...
Nine Kuze 03-16-2006 05:22 PM
I read the article and its actually really well written but it seems like the guy is just hatin' on FMA because he just didn't like the ending, which I'm hearing more and more that its not that good.

I mean he made some good points, but to me, it just seemed like he was just reaching for an argument.

quote:
Hiding Envy's identity until the last few minutes is a good example of an attempt at explaining things without actually explaining things. Why does Envy choose to stay in a different body instead of his own throughout the anime? Because the show needs to keep its watchers in the dark in order to make revealing his true identity more shocking. (It wasn't, by the way.) Is there any excuse for this in the plot? No. It's an example of a bad plot device when something is contorted within a story solely to provide a certain effect on the reader.

I don't really agree with this because the series tells you that throughout the entire show, Envy really hates Hohenheim. Why does he use the Ultimate Mask haide his true face? Because he hates the fact that he looks so much like the father that abanded him. Throughout the show, and up until the point when he does show his face, seemed pretty clear to me.

quote:
I did some research, and learned that the anime is based off of a manga that has yet to conclude. That fact is probably the reason, but not an excuse, for the sloppiness of the anime's last twenty episodes. For most of the first half of the anime, things made sense. As the series wound down, I assume the writers began having to make things up off the top of their heads, which is why for the last ten episodes there's nothing but plot hole after plot hole.

Its true about the manga not yet finishing and that the anime was based off it that way but I didn't think anything was wrong or done all too bad with the last ten episodes. Some things may have been rushed but overall, its done pretty well.

quote:
The secret of the Gate is the most obvious one, as each time it's approached it does something different. First, there are a bunch of formless creatures that take Ed's arm and leg. Then it's a portal to another world that puts Ed in another boy's body and graciously sends him back instead of letting him die when a zeppelin falls on him. Finally, it takes Ed back our universe completely intact, even though his arm and leg are roaming around somewhere on the other side of the Gate. They say in the anime that when people die, their life force goes through the Gate in order to feed the life of another. Why is it that the Elrics are the only exception to this rule, other than the fact that they're the main characters? There's no continuity in it whatsoever.

There's actually some truth in this but I think that the writer is forgetting that everytime the Gate appeared, something different happened before to cause it to appear. When Ed's arm and leg were taken, the Gate was opened when a human transmutation was tried and a payment had to be made. When Ed was sent to our world, Dante manipulated the Gate with alchemy to make it so it could be used as a portal between the two worlds and Ed did the same thing when he opened the Gate again to come back to his world. She did the same thing with Hohenheim, although when he explained it in "Death" it basically made no sense. So I can relate with the writer on that aspect. All this means that the Gate can be used for different means, and although I have to admit that the series didn't do a helluja job explaining that, I understood it nonetheless.

quote:
Alphonse is awesome, Ed's cloak is cool, Scar looks like a complete badass.

The best sentence in the entire article. Big Grin
Peace.
David Ryder 03-16-2006 05:26 PM
quote:
the guy is just hatin' on FMA

He what?! That's my job. Tongue *sneaks into animefringe*
StevieV019 03-17-2006 10:13 AM
Wow...I dont think you want to get me started on this one...well, maybe you do...here goes:

Her take on the portal being a gateway to an alternative reality really annoys me. The whole idea that an alternative reality = copout is ridiculous in my opinion. Maybe not the most creative device, but how else are you going to explain the creation of the humans (or homunculi) without some sort of connection to the portal or source of life force. Due to equivalent exchange theory, something has to be given up in order to gain. Well, Ed gave up an arm and a leg, later on his existence in one "reality" and other characters did the same. How else are you going to create something of the same structure unless you have something to pull from? How about magic or sorcery? Please, that would be an even bigger copout...The science of alchemy (acc. to the show) governs what can and cannot be created, as well as how something comes about. You cant take an arm and a leg and make a human life out of it. Based upon source and such, there's not enough there to bring it to life...

I agree completely with Nine...Envy completely abhors Hohenheim...thus he wants not a single connection with him, thus the ruse to be someone else. Subterfuge...a wonderful thing for those wanting to accomplish their goals through surprise and deceit, which is what the Homunculi were doing...which pretty much makes the writers contention over Envy's identity null and void, and also inaccurate.

quote:
I could go on, but thinking about it all over again is giving me a headache.

Im sorry, but as a writer and reporter, you are SUPPOSED to go on and on and think about it some more, so you dont look foolish and brash. Thats the first rule of writing, get all your facts straight and find enough evidence to support your claims...

On Plot holes:
quote:
The secret of the Gate is the most obvious one, as each time it's approached it does something different. First, there are a bunch of formless creatures that take Ed's arm and leg. Then it's a portal to another world that puts Ed in another boy's body and graciously sends him back instead of letting him die when a zeppelin falls on him. Finally, it takes Ed back our universe completely intact, even though his arm and leg are roaming around somewhere on the other side of the Gate. They say in the anime that when people die, their life force goes through the Gate in order to feed the life of another. Why is it that the Elrics are the only exception to this rule, other than the fact that they're the main characters? There's no continuity in it whatsoever.

Perhaps the Elrics are the exception because they have a direct connection with the gate, as evidenced by Hohenheim's desire for immortality and the family's continued desire for human transmutation. Thus, they react differently with the gate and have freer access to the portal. Yeah...a theory, but one thats not so far fetched that it damages the integrity of the show...and also one that is simple enough to understand. There's enough there to identify unique cases for certain circumstances within the plot. I wouldnt call them plot holes though, more like, using intuition and interpretation with the story.

quote:
Character is another problem area. I know, Fullmetal Alchemist has some of the freshest and most vibrant character designs since Naruto

See, thats the problem right there...another Naruto fangirl at work...almost as bad as InuYasha fans...thats the reason for such drivel being written here...

quote:
This is all well and fine, but by the end of the anime what happens to Ed? Does he learn his lesson that the laws of equivalent trade are not to be trifled with? Does he in some way overcome his aversion to killing others and create the true stone out of love for his brother?
No, he does some last minute alchemy to save his brother's life, and the Gate decides to go easy on him and warps him to another world instead of having him actually die. If that same situation had been presented to him at the first episode, he would have done the exact same thing. He hasn't changed one bit.

The gate has "spared" him because Ed finally upheld his morals and did something for someone else while sacrificing himself. Obviously following through on a major thematic element, which the writer failed to identify. Previously, his reasons for bringing his mother back and the failed attempt for human transmutation were based on selfish reasons. Finally, Ed found the true nature and purpose of alchemy: to help others instead of fufilling self-serving needs and desires. And thus the reason for existence...to better society and the world. So, the writer here has clearly missed the point and missed the target with the previous paragraph.

More on characters:
quote:
They all act cool, but by the end of the anime, they've either died, not learned their lessons, or both.

Thats the whole reason why the characters have all died...its because they didnt learn their lesson, and thus were destined for their tragic fate. They weren't humble enough to accept their fault in their previous mistakes. They were too proud to admit their own flaws and thus paid the price. Ed, on the other hand, as well as Alphonse, act with earnesty and humility throughout the whole show, thus, they survive their mistakes.

This writer is an absolute fool...

quote:
Why did Nina have to turn into a monster? To get you to gasp and cry, of course.

To show the repercussions of someone's selfishness and the fact that humans cannot play god...even those with the skill and talent for alchemy. This is a HUGE theme throughout the whole show that is present from the first episode. How could the writer miss such a HUGE theme and purpose behind the show? Maybe because she's a horrible writer and an idiot?? Probably so...

On the show's overall theme:
quote:
What is the theme it reveals? Other than the fact that people are twisted and life sucks, I have no idea.

And thats why the writer shouldnt be writing this article, nor judging the series. The fact that she cannot figure out the overall theme proves her worth as a writer. She's a fool who has no clue what she is writing about...

On the show's point of view (using various characters):
quote:
Nowhere is this more obvious than when for a single episode, we are put in Lust's shoes and dragged around as she contemplates love and life. The only reason that episode is there is to garner sympathy for another underdeveloped character, and maybe to get us to let out a sigh when she dies.

Lust's perspective was given simply to explain why she took up Ed's cause late down the road. She's the MOST human of all the homunculi and this explains her motives for supporting their "enemy". By showing that she has a human side to her and isnt completely wretched or evil, it shows the inner battle that humans have to go through on a daily basis while living their lives. Again, another obvious thematic element that the writer has completely overlooked. This is annoying the hell out of me...

Another plot/symbolic gripe:
quote:
That the Sorcerer's Stone require human life for its creation is symbolic in a way, but it's a very base symbolism, and nothing new or exciting like some may profess.

It may not seem knew, but it shows that something that powerful comes at a large cost, and that alone, is enough to tug at the heartstrings of humans. Kinda goes along with the mantra: Nothing in life is free. Everything costs something, no matter how easy something appears to be attained, there's always a great(er) cost for it write around the corner.

After reading this article, I have come to the conclusion that this writer has no clue how to analyze something for thematic elements, nor does she have the ability to dig deeper and see the roots behind the creators' motivation for moving the series in the direction they did. After being thoroughly annoyed, I thoroughly ripped apart her article, and found enjoyment in doing so. This crap is on a 10th grade reading level, at most, and fully shows the lack of breadth or talent that the writer has when writing an article like this. Or, to be more on par with her talents and to also quote the writer herself, her article and writing style "is just no good."