The MMORPG Thread

Generalissimo D 04-25-2005 06:36 PM
Gunbound:This game is quite fun! Its an MMORPG( still free for now though) with excellent Worms style gameplay. you can find it in Fileplanet under the Korean MMORPG section. Anyone else know of any good online multiplayer games?
paul1290 04-25-2005 07:58 PM
I actually play that game from time to time. It's really fun and addictive for some reason. I'm not really sure it can be considered an MMORPG though. I'm still a newb at that game because I don't play it often. My favorite vehicle is the bigfoot (those explosive projectiles are cool.).

Another game I like is runescape. It's an online MMORPG that uses java player so you don't have to download anything. I'm currently a level 42 ranger in that game. It's the only game I know of that can generate 3D graphics with java player. It's also free (unless you want to get membership which is about $7 a month.)
Generalissimo D 04-25-2005 08:20 PM
runescape is a borathon. I find no reason to played it. Mind you...I dont really have a clue what to do there Tongue

The topic has been changed more general now.
Hienrich Ele 04-25-2005 08:29 PM
I play World of Warcraft now. I had a Paladin to near level 40, but all my friends got it, turned into communist-nazis, and became horde. So I turned to the horde. Not as fun as the Alliance, that is for sure.

I used to play City of Heroes, which I plan on restarting when Ciity of Villains comes out, though I can't wait for City of Bystanders Tongue

Before that I played Star Wars Galaxies. My first MMORPG. I liked it, but only because it was Star Wars. It was OK gameplay, but had a lot, lot more potential.

Tried gunbound, couldn't get into it. (Literally, didn't work for me)

My friends play Maple Story, don't know if that counts. That one I couldn't get into (figurtively).
Travis Bickle 04-25-2005 08:32 PM
I used to be somewhat addicted to RO and PSO on both the Dreamcast and the Gamecube. Yeah...I try to forget those days...
Mr. Fortnight 04-25-2005 09:42 PM
I love City of Heroes, and regret leaving it. My friend Lauriff (his name here) plays Everquest. The original Everquest that is.

Quite frankly, I don't know what he sees in that game. >_<
BAM2HIM 04-25-2005 11:39 PM
The greatest MMORGP is really a offline game.
that would be .//sign for the PS2.
Captain Maw 04-26-2005 12:41 AM
yeah... i have to say MMORPG's aren't that great... especially since the money you pay for the actual game and the online fee amounts to the sum of a console.... which is such a rip-off, since a well tailored single player game w/mods gives a good experience.
Mike 04-26-2005 03:25 PM
Gunbound was fun but I eventually got sick of all the annoying 9 year olds.

Never played any of those games where you have to pay monthly fees...I prefer to get overcharged once, not repeatedly.

Counterstrike I guess you could call massively multiplayer online...
Mugiwara Luffy 04-26-2005 03:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BigOZ
runescape is a borathon. I find no reason to played it. Mind you...I dont really have a clue what to do there Tongue

The topic has been changed more general now.

Yeah, the first time I played it I was so confused and didn't know what to do or where to go. It took me a while to find quests and other things to do. Now I'm level 50 and I've beaten all the quests so I see no reason to play anymore.
paul1290 04-26-2005 03:48 PM
quote:
posted by GAT-X105:
Gunbound was fun but I eventually got sick of all the annoying 9 year olds.

I didn't really notice that many 9 year old players on that game. However, with an art style like that, it does kind of make everyone look 9 years old. Laughing

quote:
posted by BigOZ:
runescape is a borathon. I find no reason to played it. Mind you...I dont really have a clue what to do there

I don't blame you for this because you usually have to be a really patient person to actually enjoy that game. I wouldn't recommend trying to play runescape if your not willing to spend a lot of time on it. I actually like playing runescape a lot, but that's just because I can tolerate spending several hours at a time playing it.
Mike 04-26-2005 03:51 PM
I don't think that many people were actually 9, but they sure as hell acted it. Lots of annoying, arrogant, just plain irritating people and I lost interest quickly.
X Prime 04-26-2005 07:13 PM
Does Diablo II count?

...No? Didn't think so. Heh.
Buck Buck #1 04-26-2005 07:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by X Prime
Does Diablo II count?

...No? Didn't think so. Heh.

Yeah that's pretty much the only online game that I play. I just don't think that I could convince myself to pay a monthly fee for a game.
Mike 04-26-2005 08:09 PM
I never played D2 online. I was afraid of the people who DID play it online. Religiously. And sold swords on Ebay for $300.
X Prime 04-26-2005 08:21 PM
You can actually get a hefty sum for that... Simply run an illegal bot all night on a powerful MF sorc, and watch the inventory accumulate.

Interesting way to make cold hard cash for little effort.
Shaoblane 04-26-2005 08:22 PM
Confused Lizard is fascinated.

What is this MMORPG you speak of?

Multiplayer something online rpg...what am I missing?
The Fallen Phoenix 04-26-2005 08:26 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Shaoblane
Confused Lizard is fascinated.

What is this MMORPG you speak of?

Multiplayer something online rpg...what am I missing?

Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game. A genre I'm personally not very fond of, especially if it is a console game. Call me stingy, but I see no reason to fork over extra cash for a game. In the case of a console, that would include internet support for the console as well as the all-too-common monthly fee. Worse yet, since you can't patch console games you're basically limited to expansion packs in terms of fixing glitches and improving/rebalancing gameplay, which in my experience is rather necessary for online games. X-Packs are always nice, but so are (free) patches.

I have played Diablo II online; I played Runescape back when it was still a beta version, and I have played Phantasy Star Online. Otherwise, my online gaming escapades are limited to RTS games such as the Age of... series.
Shaoblane 04-26-2005 08:32 PM
Oh! If thats the case...

Hi my name is Lizard and I'm a counterstrike addict. So many long hours in games with people from school. Middle schoolers would challenge us. Ugh, they sucked.
Travis Bickle 04-26-2005 09:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Shaoblane
Oh! If thats the case...

Hi my name is Lizard and I'm a counterstrike addict. So many long hours in games with people from school. Middle schoolers would challenge us. Ugh, they sucked.

Counterstrike isn't an MMORPG. It's a widely played FPS. Games like Evercrack, WOW, the Matrix Online, etc. Now those are MMORPGs.