Episode 24 Discussion: "Bonding Memories"

Sephiroth 04-23-2005 11:00 PM
I looked, and I didn't see a thread posted for this, so here I went ahead and made one. Well, the episode is over and I have to say it was very good. I was glad Barry died (he lived on in the manga for quite sometime, and had a wierd crush on Hawkeye), his mind tricks on Al were really bothering me. Also, I am extremely glad the problems between Ed and Al are resolved, and possibley their problems with Scar. He sailed off into the sunset.

I liked the alchemy the mercenary used. The electrical conductivity system was pretty cool. His death was pretty awesome because
spoiler (highlight to read):
Thats one more Homunculi revealed because of it. Yup, Sloth has finally appeared

The whole episode was really centered on the validity of our memories. Everyone it seemed was plagued with what did and did not happen. The end when the boy realized his mother had died looking for him was really quite sad. All in all a great episode, and a good end to this story arc. I say that only because they leave in the next episode (shown in the preview).
R.Smith 04-23-2005 11:12 PM
As Sephiroth already said, this was a very touching episode about memories indeed.

While I'm not clear on everything that's going on, or why, I think I'll just wait until the re-runs to put it all together.

Oh, and Shredder, when you said they changed it from "tell" to "ask", was what Ed "asked" tonight any different then what he said in the original?
Green_Bird 04-23-2005 11:29 PM
I was starting to wonder where the thread for this was....I hope everyones still waching....It was very good...and touching. We accualy get to see more of Juliet Douglas....
Or should I say Sloth now?
Also...
That seemed to be the end for Barry.....
I alredy know what happens in the next one...all I'm going to say is...it's going to be a sad one....
AlexRosewater 04-24-2005 12:08 AM
The episode was great it had the team up with Scar and Al against military Mercenaries and the Isbalin kids found out what really happend with their Mother on the day of the masacre. It was all very touching to the heart...
Shredder 04-24-2005 12:21 AM
Another great episode, it's disappointing they're cutting it off after two more eps until fall...but at least it'll give more people the chance to catch up or start watching the show.

Also, I strongly suggest avoiding spoilers if possible if you're watching the show for the first time. (Not just here, but just in general.) I just think something is taken away from the experience if every surprise is ruined for you.
Zopwx2 04-24-2005 01:18 PM
Just like with Big O's second season, I'm impatient to get back to the main storyline. Mainly what the deal with the water lady is...

Is it just me or are these stories of war and someone losing a a parent or wife or a brother starting to get redundant.

Plus this army vs isballan thing is really one sided. I guess the want to emphasize the fact that Ed is working for the corrupt side in order to get closer to the p stone.
Schoolie 04-24-2005 01:44 PM
I think they're doing a lot of parents dying/brothers interacting stuff in the stories to reflect on Al and Ed's situation - and so they will grow from their interactions with these characters.

This was a good episode - I liked seeing Al in action - he's pretty hard core when he wants to be.
Captain Maw 04-24-2005 06:02 PM
argh, i missed this episode. i think i'll see it on thursday.
BabyGhia 04-25-2005 10:47 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Shredder
Also, I strongly suggest avoiding spoilers if possible if you're watching the show for the first time. (Not just here, but just in general.) I just think something is taken away from the experience if every surprise is ruined for you.

Very good point. I've tried hard to stay away from spoilers but, unfortunately, I ran into a couple while searching for images and reading things that I didn't know had spoilers. So far, I like the show so much that knowing them hasn't ruined anything.

This was a very good ep. I was happy to see Barry go. Glad Ed and Al's situation got cleared up and didn't drag out. We are almost seeing a different side of Scar now. I like the change. Just a really good ep.

I'm going to be sorry when they stop playing the new ones. I think I'd rather just finish watching the series. It's really good. Oh well. I'll have to wait until AS plays the rest. Frown

BabyGhia
Madrona 04-28-2005 05:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BabyGhia
quote:
Originally posted by Shredder

Very good point. I've tried hard to stay away from spoilers but, unfortunately, I ran into a couple while searching for images and reading things that I didn't know had spoilers. So far, I like the show so much that knowing them hasn't ruined anything.

Uh huh. Yep yep. What they said!!!

quote:
Orginally posted by Schoolie
I think they're doing a lot of parents dying/brothers interacting stuff in the stories to reflect on Al and Ed's situation - and so they will grow from their interactions with these characters.

I totally agree. Due to circumstances beyond their control, everyone has lost somebody. It's what you do afterward that reflects on you as a person. Think about it, even Scar is doing something he really doesn't want to do. He doesn't understand why his brother gave him that arm, just that he has a job/duty to do. He is tied to his brother by an obligation. Just like Ed is tied to Al by his obligation.

There was something of a parallel between the Ishbar boys and Ed & Al. Misunderstandings brought on by a lack of communication. The older Ishbar kid didn't understand why his mother acted the way she did simply because he didn't know what was going on. Al didn't understand Ed's silence because his mind had been played with by Barry and there was this this nagging thing in his head about what Ed needed to tell/ask him.

I will be rewatching tonight and might have more to say later.
I am not looking forward to this next episode
Captain Maw 04-29-2005 12:41 AM
yeah, just saw the episode. pretty good... although i think they could've done a better job of showing Alphonse getting the epiphony and believing in his memories. also, that's some weird eye medicine.