Science and technology related books

paul1290 04-23-2005 04:39 PM
I just wanted to post this topic because it's kind of difficult to find any good books on science these days. If you know of any good titles post them here. Try to post books that are not too boring. No, your school science text book does not count. Also try to post how difficult it may be to read because not all of us here are super geniuses and many of us might find some of these impossible to understand. I'll start:

The Universe in a Nutshell by: Stephen Hawking
This one is very interesting. It talks about various topics on how the universe works. The writer does a really good job at explaining in terms that the average reader can understand.
Difficulty: This one is not too difficult to read. It may require some decent knowledge on the theory or relativity but nothing too extreme. It has plenty of diagrams and tries to make comparisons with things from everyday life to make it easier to understand.

Billions and Billions by: Carl Sagan
This is a collection of essays on various science related topics and Carl Sagans opinion an many things like environmental issues.
Difficulty: Not too hard, it just requires some patience.

A Brief History of Time by: Stephen Hawking
(I have the tenth anniversary updated and expanded edition so content might be slightly different in older versions.)
Like the other Stephen Hawking book, this also deals with how the universe as we know it works. However, this one has a lot more detail and depth then the other book. I actually prefer this one over "The Universe in a Nutshell" but some people might find this one a lot more difficult.
Difficulty: This one is rather difficult so I wouldn't recommend picking this one up if you don't have a pretty good understanding of the theory of relativity and how space-time works. It may be preferable if you read "The Universe in a Nutshell" before reading this because it makes this book a lot easier to understand. I'm currently still reading this one and I'm about 1/3 of the way through the book.