Dorothy's power supply (paul's lack of a theory!)

Tony Waynewrong 04-25-2005 03:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by paul1290

quote:
she could have some advance thermodynamic device that extracts heat from her surroundings and effiently converts it to energy

This would run into the same problem as the ERC from "Eve of the Hurricane". The energy needed to gather the energy would always be greater then the energy taken in. The laws of physics simply don't allow it to work. (unless of course you find a way to collect energy passively without using up energy, which may be possible.)

Hmmm... With our technological abilities, I will have to agree with you. But, According to the Anime Enyclopedia, Big O is suppose to take place in the year 2099. A lot can happen in 94 years. Big Grin
Blue Eagle 04-25-2005 07:59 PM
Wait, I just remembered something... We DO see Wayneright himself recharging a power
storage and release device installed in Dorothy one time, in episode one, I believe.

spoiler (highlight to read):
When he wound her up with the key! Yup, that's rights, Dorothy is a mechanical clockwork wonder!
paul1290 04-25-2005 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Blue Eagle:
When he wound her up with the key! Yup, that's rights, Dorothy is a mechanical clockwork wonder

Do you know how silly and perposterous that sounds? But it's still really really funny anyway! (can't stop laughing) Laughing

But seriously, that isn't really possible because there is simply no physical way to store mechanical energy that long without changing it into either a chemical, electrical, or nuclear form.
I think the key was symbolic.

Well, at least this thead isn't so serious and boring anymore. Big Grin
Blue Eagle 04-25-2005 08:13 PM
Funny as it is, it's STILL the only time in the series that we see any kind of energy being tranferred into Dorothy. Maybe the key just adjusted her Coldfissfusodragobioconteslaoil-o-matic generator so that she could sing?
Captain Maw 04-26-2005 12:07 AM
no, the key is just for metaphorical and symbolic purposes. no way such an archaic and crappy device can power something like an android. it's like saying we run on hardtack and coffee.
MikeWellington 04-26-2005 10:16 AM
(Mad scientist mode on)

The power source could be an RTG, Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator... they've been in use for some time now on space vehicles and in pacemakers, etc. They use a small quantity of radioactive material to generate heat, and the heat to geneate electricity. Using plutonium 238, an alpha emitter, it should be possible to build a (relatively) safe RTG that can be used in an android.

RTG article in Wikipedia

(Mad scientist mode off)
paul1290 04-26-2005 12:41 PM
quote:
originally posted by MikeWellington:
The power source could be an RTG, Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator... they've been in use for some time now on space vehicles and in pacemakers, etc. They use a small quantity of radioactive material to generate heat, and the heat to geneate electricity. Using plutonium 238, an alpha emitter, it should be possible to build a (relatively) safe RTG that can be used in an android.

The RTG was created to supply power at a slow and steady rate over a long period of time. This makes it perfect for pacemakers and space probes because they use up energy little by little over a long period of time. However, the RTG would be rather impractical for an android because an android's energy use is not consistent enough to be supplied by an RTG.

RTG can be used to power certain components like the brain and memory of an android, but it would be insufficient to power components like the motors and servos.

Exellent theory Mike, the RTG would be ideal for keeping an android's memory and brain working even if the main power supply is knocked out. We still need a primary power supply though.
Blue Eagle 04-27-2005 06:25 AM
You know if I wanted to be a complete arse, I could bring up the theory that
paradigm is a
computer simulation and therefor the laws of physics would not need to be obeyed.
Perhaps there ARE no power generators within the megadei and its just a value set in the simulation, like
if haspower=1

Think about it. Norman and his work crew always fix the Bio-O right up, but they never talk about real specific of how it works. (Not that I can remember, at least.)

Someone here brought up the theory that if someones left eye is damaged, it means they are blind to the truth.(some reference to the ancient Egyptian god Horus)
Every time you see someone with a damaged eye in this series, its always the left. THIS INCLUDES NORMAN. Yup, thats right. He and his workers have no
real idea of how the Big-O works. They are working away mindlessly on a fantasy mecha
that wasnt designed in accordance with the laws of physics, and wouldnt function in reality.

Or did I just blow your mind?
Pygmalion 04-27-2005 08:42 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Eagle
You know if I wanted to be a complete arse, I could bring up the theory that
paradigm is a
computer simulation and therefor the laws of physics would not need to be obeyed.

Nope, that dog won't hunt. That is one interpretation of the events of act 26; it is not necessarily the one the writers intended.

There are laws of physics in Paradigm, just as in the real world. Gravity exists: Big O walks on the ground, not magically floats above it. Newtonian physics works: Roger pushes the accelerator pedal in the Griffon, and the car speeds up. If Dorothy were to drop a tomato from the railing at Smith Mansion, Roger would find a splatted tomato on the sidewalk when he went out the front door.

quote:

Think about it. Norman and his work crew always fix the Bio-O right up, but they never talk about real specific of how it works. (Not that I can remember, at least.)

We don't see the Griffon at a gas station either. Perhaps it means the car runs on moonbeams. Or perhaps there's only so much that can go into a 22-minute episode, and so some items are left out.

quote:
Someone here brought up the theory that if someones left eye is damaged, it means they are blind to the truth.(some reference to the ancient Egyptian god Horus)
Every time you see someone with a damaged eye in this series, its always the left. THIS INCLUDES NORMAN. Yup, thats right. He and his workers have no
real idea of how the Big-O works. They are working away mindlessly on a fantasy mecha
that wasnt designed in accordance with the laws of physics, and wouldnt function in reality.

On the other hand, Odin gave an eye to drink from Mimir's Well and gain knowledge. He was the wisest and most far-seeing of the Aesir. So depending on which mythology one wants to imagine the writers to have used, one can come up with quite different results.

Based on how Norman is portrayed in the show, I find it very hard to believe that he would be doing as you suggest. If anyone were listing possible "Secret Masters of Paradigm," Norman Burg would be on the list.

Pygmalion
Almasy 04-27-2005 10:14 AM
That's a cool theory! Smile
Blue Eagle 04-27-2005 04:44 PM
I just checked out slashdot, and I now have two words for you all.
Holy.
Crap.
(Two seperate links.)

Room Temperture Fusion.
Exciting, even if it didnt output more energy than was input.
Lyinginbedmon 04-27-2005 05:00 PM
That's not very helpful.

Although we never actually see her eating, it is possible that she can in actuality absorb glucose for energy from food, as she has noted that she can eat a little