Gladiator

Volt 04-16-2005 10:04 PM
I only saw this movie recently, but already it's one of my all-time favorites.
It's a perfect blend of Roman history, an emotional plot, and over-the-top, prefectly choreographed battle scenes, all topped off with amazing actors, IMO. I really can't find any fault with the movie. Russel Crowe has to be the biggest badass in the world in this movie, and the fight scenes are easily the best I've ever seen. My favorite parts were the recreation of the battle with Carthage (especially when the chariot's wheel mows down that female gladiator...ka-chink! Wink ), and the final battle with Commodus. So, what does everybody else think about this amazing film?
Travis Bickle 04-16-2005 10:09 PM
It was a decent movie. However, it's terribly historically inaccurate, which was a big drawback.
Almasy 04-16-2005 10:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
It was a decent movie. However, it's terribly historically inaccurate, which was a big drawback.

Theatrical movies are made to entertain people, not teach them history. If you want accuracy, feel free to watch the Discovery Channel.

I thought Gladiator was a really cool movie! I heard there's a big special edition version coming out on DVD soon! Can't wait! ^_^
Generalissimo D 04-16-2005 10:16 PM
Gladiator is an awesome movie. You dont think its historically accurate? Well now it is. I say we edit all history books to include Russel Crowe kicking ass. Brilliantly powerful film either way.
Travis Bickle 04-16-2005 10:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Almasy
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt

Theatrical movies are made to entertain people, not teach them history. If you want accuracy, feel free to watch the Discovery Channel.

Not necessarily true. Alexander, the Alamo, Hotel Rwanda, and other movies based on historical people/events were quire accurate (to an extent). Plus, it kind of makes them fun if they stay true to the subject.

Now, getting back on topic: Do I think it deserved best picture? No. Do I think that the fight scenes in it kicked total ass? Hell yes. Problem solved.
Captain Maw 04-16-2005 11:47 PM
woa woa woa, nobody mentioned the huge battle in the beginning?!?!? i'm shocked. in fact that makes me mad. as a big fan of the clash of the giant armies, especiallly with Roman legionnares. yeah, if you see it on TV, they cut A LOT of the fight scenes, so you might as well not watch it than.
Zopwx2 04-16-2005 11:50 PM
I saw this movie in theatres and it was significantly bad ass.

I'm a picky history nerd too but... bah, cool ancient battle who cares.
Volt 04-17-2005 01:19 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Maw
woa woa woa, nobody mentioned the huge battle in the beginning?!?!? i'm shocked. in fact that makes me mad.

Eh, I found it kind of boring. Not enough physically improbable deaths. Tongue The dog was kick ass though.
Captain Maw 04-17-2005 02:12 PM
well, Gladiator was historically accurate in which Commodus's behavior (no he did not love his sister), but he did die against a gladiator.
Mugiwara Luffy 04-17-2005 04:35 PM
Actually, Commodus was strangled to death by his wrestling partner, Narcissus.

I still think Gladiator is a great movie, despite small historical inaccuracies.
Darkside 04-17-2005 06:14 PM
Historical innacuricies be damned!
unless it says "Based on a True" story or something to that effect,I don't care, just as long as the fight scenes are extremely cool. The story was also extremely cool.
Lupin IV 04-17-2005 07:40 PM
Love the final showdown. Cool
TanookiJoe 04-17-2005 09:14 PM
I think as far as Roman society goes, it was fairly well accurate, but a lot of the events in the movie never happened. Still an awesome movie, and lightyears ahead of the old epics of the fifties and sixties.
dancinggummi88 06-15-2005 09:22 AM
the movie is soooooo gory and i think that s what drew people to see it
at least... me..lol
088nd 06-15-2005 09:47 AM
One of my favorite movies of all time, and a great film. Definately the best Roman film out there.
Gummibear 06-15-2005 09:59 AM
I saw it a long time ago. I'm enamored by ancient Roman,Greek and Egyptian cultures so I was enraptured by the movie because of the mere fact it was set in Roman times. Historical accuracy sometimes does have to be compromised to make a more entertaining film. It does irk me a bit but as long as the plot is good I really don't mind.
Mike 06-15-2005 10:44 AM
Gladiator kicks ass. And it actually is somewhat accurate. There really was an Emperor Commodus, who really did suck pretty bad, and I think he really was the son of Marcus Aurellius. I believe he actually did fight in the arena, but only against people who had already been stabbed/poisoned so he was guaranteed to win. He was assassinated by...I think Senators who were fed up with his crappy leadership.

but either way, it's a sweet movie.
088nd 06-15-2005 10:47 AM
quote:
Originally posted by GAT-X105
Gladiator kicks ass. And it actually is somewhat accurate. There really was an Emperor Commodus, who really did suck pretty bad, and I think he really was the son of Marcus Aurellius. I believe he actually did fight in the arena, but only against people who had already been stabbed/poisoned so he was guaranteed to win. He was assassinated by...I think Senators who were fed up with his crappy leadership.

but either way, it's a sweet movie.

GAT knows history. *Applause*