Episode 23 Discussion: "Fullmetal Heart"

Captain Maw 04-16-2005 09:39 PM
well episode 23 airs tonight at 11:30 EST. see www.adultswim.com for details. In the schedule it stated as "Heart of Steel".
Sephiroth 04-16-2005 11:04 PM
That was a good episode. Hughes was awesome in it. That moment between he and Winry was classic. However, his daughter does seem like a nice kid, so I can see why Hughes won't shut up about her. It ended on quite a sad note. Its interesting to see how great an effect Barry had on Al. I really hope Ed can open up to Al about what happened, or Al will at least listen to him. He was certainly angry when he was on the rooftop. Plus, we got our first glimpse at the Oroburos tattoo, or "the serpent that devours its tail" which is just plain cool, and has some major significance later on.

spoiler (highlight to read):
Plus, we got our second glimpse of Ed and Al's teacher Izumi and her husband. She was the woman with the black hair next to the big guy at the train station. They were looking at the train schedule. She is a pretty cool character in my opinion, plus she owns the sandal that is kicking Ed's face in my pic in the Funny Pictures thread. Just thought I'd point her out.

Anyway, good episode overall, a return to the really emotional episodes early on.
Captain Maw 04-16-2005 11:35 PM
yeah, that was pretty cool. i thought the time when Al struck Ed was cool, seeing how i like to see that armor kick ***. the thing is: why don't they just say it. and why does Al trust Barry more than his own "brother". the thing is: what substantial evidence does he have? none. (to my knowledge)
R.Smith 04-16-2005 11:36 PM
Heh, you didn't think I watched the show. (well, sure I've missed most of the beginning but I'll see it one way or another Wink ) Tongue

Well, I was expecting a big secret to be revealed, and at least to me, that didn't happen. But it was still a very emotional episode Frown , glad I remembered it was on this time. Embarrassed Sweatdrop

Next episode should be good. Big Grin
Green_Bird 04-17-2005 12:14 AM
Al's angry....I think the reason that he believes Barry is because the fact that he is starting to loose his memories and Ed keeping something from him....from what it appears, it seems that that was the first thing that he had ever kept from him, and all that mixed with what Barry said, makes it sound diffrent...or at least to him.

But anyway, It was a very good episode as always. The winry and Hughes scene was great XD ...so was the milk scene...(if you have read the manga, or have seen pictures...look at the background behind them...they were not ordinary cows Tongue ) And Elysia's kind of cute ^_^ .
Yeah...I noticed Izumi too.
Raven 04-17-2005 02:14 AM
Al's just being an ungrateful brat, that's all. My dislike for his character seems to grow greater and greater with each episode I watch. Ed should just give up and let Al go off on his own. Either that or track him down and destroy his blood symbol. Evil
Krang 04-17-2005 02:39 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Raven
Al's just being an ungrateful brat, that's all. My dislike for his character seems to grow greater and greater with each episode I watch.

That's probably just because of the way Al is portrayed in the dub (acting, script, etc.). He's not such an unlikeable character in the original Japanese version.
Madrona 04-17-2005 10:58 AM
Yeah, I was surprised at how...sulky they had Al's lines. I don't dislike Al at all, but he is being unreasonable. Ed holds back on one thing and suddenly he believes a low life like Barry? What is this kid thinking?

I officially really like Maria Ross. She could've been intimidated by Ed's "rank" but she was not. Good for her. She has no fear does she? Is she going to end up being Ed's "Riza" ?

Not ordinary cows indeed! Jeez that's just so funny! I pointed that out to the hubby.

It's Ed's birthday. Doesn't that make him 16 now?

I will have to rewatch it to see what I missed.
I missed Izumi

Madrona
Zopwx2 04-17-2005 11:34 AM
I think they needed a lower key episode with some comic relief after the last few.

Even though I'd like to find out what the homonculi are up to at the moment, this new conflict between ed and al will give him some more individuality as a character.
AlexRosewater 04-17-2005 12:40 PM
Last nights epiosde of Full Metal Alchemist was good it showed the fears of Al coming true in a conspiracy against him. but there's allway's hughes with comic relief to even it out...
Captain Maw 04-17-2005 02:25 PM
hey, i dunno about anyone else, but the scene where Al smacked Ed was good in my opnion, i think it'd be cool if Al started being more independent (albeit kinda stoopid), and get his own say. although i think it was wrong of him to believe Barry cuz that's just plain dumb. i kind of think Ed's "jaded teen" routine is pissing off Al a lot but he keeps to himself about it.
Tifaria 04-17-2005 06:16 PM
Okay, I FINALLY got to catch up on all my taped episodes and whatnot. I'm liking this show more as it goes on. Personally, I like Al, and him being a brat doesn't seem unreasonable to me. He's just a kid, after all (what is he, 13? I can't remember). I have a 13 year old brother, and that's how they are. I dunno, I like him. His freak out at the end has me very eager for next week's episode.

Oh, and Winry is great. The parts with her and Hughes were funny. Big Grin I hope she continues to show up every so often. She's hyper and loud, but I like her.
Jane 04-17-2005 07:23 PM
This episode made me fall in love with Hughes' character all over again. I'm glad that Ed trusted him enough to tell him what happened to them. It was also fun to finally see his daughter. She really is cute--I was expecting her to be a spoiled brat with the way her Daddy goes off about her.

I was also glad to see Winry again. I know there's a crowd that wants her to hook up with Al, but I like how this episode showed her relationship as that of an older sister. It gives a more interesting dynamic between the characters.

As for Al, he's been my favorite character since the get go. It's got to leave him very unsure about his existence. Barry spoke his fears aloud last week and threatened his bond with his brother--the thing that has given him purpose since he lost himself. How can he prove that he exists if his body is gone and his memories are fading? Pursonally, I liked seeing Al sullen, he's usually the voice of reason and support for Al and we've never really seen him break down (Ed does it all the time). Poor Al.
Green_Bird 04-17-2005 07:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Tifaria
Okay, I FINALLY got to catch up on all my taped episodes and whatnot. I'm liking this show more as it goes on. Personally, I like Al, and him being a brat doesn't seem unreasonable to me. He's just a kid, after all (what is he, 13? I can't remember). I have a 13 year old brother, and that's how they are. I dunno, I like him. His freak out at the end has me very eager for next week's episode.

Oh, and Winry is great. The parts with her and Hughes were funny. Big Grin I hope she continues to show up every so often. She's hyper and loud, but I like her.

Al's 14....a year younger then ed who, prior to this episode was 15. I don't think they said when Al's birthday was....

(puting this behind a spoiler just to make sure...
And It looks like Winry will be sticking around with them for awhile. Though I'm just going by the screenshots I've seen. To (I'm just going by the pictures) atleast episode 31....
evanASF27 04-17-2005 08:32 PM
Wow...that episode had to be one of the more serious episodes I've seen yet. I nearly cried for Al Crying ...seriously...

It makes me wonder just how Ed will find Al...and if he'll ever tell the truth.
Captain Maw 04-17-2005 08:52 PM
i have to say Hughes is pretty cool

the thing is: what is the truth? i mean, i'm guessing Alphonse Elric was a real person, so the truth isn't so shocking after all.
Shredder 04-17-2005 09:54 PM
I don't think that Al necessarily believes Barry over Ed, I think it's more that he's feeling a little confused and paranoid at the moment. First, Ed implies there's something that he's afraid to ask Al (the dub says tell for some reason) and recently some of his childhood memories have started fading. When Barry brings that up, it seems like something Al never considered before and now it's got him worried since everything seems to add up (at least to him) to his memories being fake.
BabyGhia 04-19-2005 12:15 AM
Another great episode! Again a lot happened.

I'm glad that Maria Ross gave Ed that slap. That was funny. She's great. Not afraid to say what's on her mind.

A bit of Hughes in this one. He loves to torture Scieszka. The scene where he asks her to do some more reports and he's just drinking his coffee without a care in the world. Laughing Interesting to see more of Hughes' daughter. She didn't seemed spoiled at all. She's really cute.

Winry coming to fix Ed and the whole missing screw and then the milk thing. hehehehehe The cows were cute.

Now to Ed and Al... Barry just really got under Al's "skin" with all his talk. It must be really scary to be losing all your memories and Barry's "theory" probably makes the most sense to Al right now. Al just needs to think it out and Ed needs to think of the right thing to say. Difficult situation.

And...
I saw Izumi. Kind of an interesting thing to add for people who are rewatching the episode or whatnot.

BabyGhia