The Calvin and Hobbes Thread

Captain Maw 04-12-2005 12:12 AM

well, looking back on my childhood days, i have to say a great comic that i enjoy now as much as i enjoyed than was Calvin and Hobbes. Carrying a wide spectrum of humor: from adult humor, to relavent humor, to slapstick, Calvin and Hobbes has forever been a pillar of the "olden days" of cartoons, as Bill Watterson put it, favoring the large portraits to the small boxes, not only does it have some great landscape's (Spaceman Spiff) it carries out an image. I'd have to say picking a favorite cartoon in Calvin and Hobbes would be difficult.
Green_Bird 04-12-2005 12:44 AM
My dad has all the books. Ever since I was little I remember reading them. I still read them from time to time. When I was younger, my mom and dad always compared me to Calvin a lot....But that was only in the non-Suzie strips. In them I was compared to Suzie seeing as how my friend was more like Calvin in those and that's how we played when we were that age.

But, it is a funny comic and it never gets old no mater how many times you go back and read it! I still like it after all these years. But you're right...it is hard to pick favortes with it. Because all the strips are great.
Wingnut 04-12-2005 12:58 AM
Trips down the hill in the wagon, sled and tobaggon were the best. G.R.O.S.S. strips were extremely funny too.
Captain Maw 04-12-2005 01:03 AM
ah good times... Spaceman Spiff, Stupendous Man, and Tracer Bullet. the all to familiar alter-ego's Calvin had... I remember the beginning of Lazy Sunday Comic Book, the whole Spaceman Spiff thing... classic.
Wingnut 04-12-2005 01:06 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Maw
ah good times... Spaceman Spiff, Stupendous Man, and Tracer Bullet. the all to familiar alter-ego's Calvin had... I remember the beginning of Lazy Sunday Comic Book, the whole Spaceman Spiff thing... classic.
Was there ever a time when Spiff didn't get shot down by some alien frap ray or something?
Captain Maw 04-12-2005 01:07 AM
yeah, like when he had a math problem 6+5 and he collided the two planets together, making an answer of 6. or when spaceman spiff... wait. lemme think.... i'm sure there was a few more.
LillyRose 04-12-2005 01:29 AM
Calvin is the poster child for honest to goodness ADHD. I had a friend in college who did a paper on it. *g*

That being said, this is one of my favorite comic strips ever. I have so many favorite bits. Spaceman Spiff. Roslyn the Babysitter. The monsters under the bed. (Especially the one where the monsters are trying to bribe Hobbes with supposed fresh salmon to toss Calvin off the bed)

Calvin: Santa Claus- kindly old elf or CIA spook?

Classic. All of it.
Lady Tesser 04-13-2005 02:23 PM
I remember back when the series was winding down (I was in high school, so I think most of you were in elementary school), I clipped out one of the strips and put it in my wallet. It's when Hobbes was helping Calvin gather leaves for a school project due the next day and Calvin comments 'This is a waste of time! how could this possibly get any worse?'

Then the space ship shows up.

Needless to say, such surreal silliness appealed to me.

I make references to Calvin and Hobbes in my fanfics at times. I have Bill Watterson making a guest appearance in 1970's Hogwarts as a student who is watching Snape and the Marauders make freaky snowmen (the snowmen were my favorite parts) while he talks to his tiger-striped cat familiar.

It's an intellectual, silly humor. Mr. Watterson vividly remembers his childhood and he's never lost the ability to look at the world through the eyes of a precocious child. Ending it when he did - when the strip was in its prime - and not allowing any merchandising is the best thing he ever did for his series; it promotes appreciation of his work.

Of course, I am not adverse to having a stuffed Hobbes, either. ^_^
BethMcBeth 04-13-2005 02:46 PM
Awww I loved that little strip I always liked Hobbes I thought it was cute and I rember my dad reading them to me at times. I miss that.
Diverse Considerations 04-13-2005 10:56 PM
Calvin and Hobbes is, without doubt or hesitation, the greatest cartoon ever. I have all the books, every last one of them. Watterson was the main force behind returning cartoons from three panel day strips and eight panel weekend strips to freeform, sweeping panoramas that you just couldn't take your eyes off of.

And the action, the expression, the sheer craziness of the world and imagination in which Calvin lives. And the fact that there is never a straight answer given about Hobbes' nature. Is he a real tiger, is he a stuffed tiger, is he merely a product of Calvin's imagination, or is he there?

Calvin and Hobbes, so far as I know, was the first cartoon to deal with death. They find the baby raccoon and Calvin's parents try to save it but they can't. So far as I know, that kind of subject matter wasn't dealt with on the comics page at that time.

Everything we love about Calvin and Hobbes was planned by Bill Watterson. I consider him to be a genius.

My mom and I frequently complain that there is nothing good in the comics since the fall of Calvin and Hobbes, but the collections on my bookshelf are well worn and stand proud. I think I'll read some tonight. Smile
Madrona 04-13-2005 11:07 PM
The collections at my daughter's school are well read and still get checked out on a constant basis.

Let's see if I can remember my favorite.

Calvin & Hobbes are sledding down the hill. Calvin comes up with the idea that it would be great to be on TV. Then everyone could share in the experience because if it wasn't on TV it didn't really happen. It validates the experience. Then they wouldn't just be plain od' Calvin and Hobbes. They'd be "Calvin & Hobbes AS SEEN ON TV!" As they went flying off the sled Hobbes comments on how he appreciates his anonymity. Considering I was just getting started in TV. I thought it was hilarious!

Madrona
TanookiJoe 04-14-2005 01:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Diverse Considerations
Calvin and Hobbes is, without doubt or hesitation, the greatest cartoon ever. I have all the books, every last one of them. Watterson was the main force behind returning cartoons from three panel day strips and eight panel weekend strips to freeform, sweeping panoramas that you just couldn't take your eyes off of.

And the action, the expression, the sheer craziness of the world and imagination in which Calvin lives. And the fact that there is never a straight answer given about Hobbes' nature. Is he a real tiger, is he a stuffed tiger, is he merely a product of Calvin's imagination, or is he there?

Calvin and Hobbes, so far as I know, was the first cartoon to deal with death. They find the baby raccoon and Calvin's parents try to save it but they can't. So far as I know, that kind of subject matter wasn't dealt with on the comics page at that time.

Everything we love about Calvin and Hobbes was planned by Bill Watterson. I consider him to be a genius.

My mom and I frequently complain that there is nothing good in the comics since the fall of Calvin and Hobbes, but the collections on my bookshelf are well worn and stand proud. I think I'll read some tonight. Smile

I agree completely. Calvin and Hobbes is in my top ten things ever. I loved them as a kid and I love them even more now. The comics are amazing deep-- many strips I didn't truly understand for years after I first read them. But they also worked on a level a seven year old could understand.

Bill Watterson was a very special artist, one that cared deeply about his art and what it meant. It's sad people like him are so rare in any medium.

And you gotta love anything that names its main characters after medieval philosophers.
Wingnut 04-14-2005 05:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Madrona
The collections at my daughter's school are well read and still get checked out on a constant basis.

Let's see if I can remember my favorite.

Calvin & Hobbes are sledding down the hill. Calvin comes up with the idea that it would be great to be on TV. Then everyone could share in the experience because if it wasn't on TV it didn't really happen. It validates the experience. Then they wouldn't just be plain od' Calvin and Hobbes. They'd be "Calvin & Hobbes AS SEEN ON TV!" As they went flying off the sled Hobbes comments on how he appreciates his anonymity. Considering I was just getting started in TV. I thought it was hilarious!

Madrona

I remember that one, and they were in the wagon for that trip.

And of course there is the issue of Hobbes "pounce of death" he gives Calvin when he gets home from school every day.
Captain Maw 04-14-2005 08:29 PM
yeah, unfortunately i lost my collection and the ones that i still have are all worn out and torn partially.
i have to say, a lot of the pounces are really funny. i especially enjoyed when Calvin tries to outwit Hobbes.
Zopwx2 04-14-2005 11:21 PM
Too bad all those calvin peeing stickers are all made without the creators permission.
Captain Maw 04-14-2005 11:59 PM
yeah, Watterson was against commercializing. i can see why. but i think his efforts are in vain. too bad for that, since i would like to see his legacy live on.
Zopwx2 04-19-2005 10:08 PM
quote:
yeah, Watterson was against commercializing. i can see why. but i think his efforts are in vain. too bad for that, since i would like to see his legacy live on.

http://www.annoying.com/nightmares/obses.../0001/0001.html
Captain Maw 04-19-2005 10:16 PM
wow, it was inevitable to have his wishes broken... too bad. where did you find this?!? wow.
TanookiJoe 04-19-2005 10:28 PM
quote:
wow, it was inevitable to have his wishes broken... too bad. where did you find this?!? wow.

If you ever read his commentary in one his books, you'd pretty much hear the same thing from him. He's a guy really committed to his art.
Wingnut 04-23-2005 02:40 AM
I found a very funny C&H fanart today and figured it would go great here.
A boy and his tiger