Favorite/First Childhood Book

Captain Maw 04-11-2005 10:03 PM
Well, i have to say it's been a while, my first book book was the very hungry caterpillar ( i think ) and my favorite childhood books were the Bernstein Bear Series. y tu?
088nd 04-11-2005 10:05 PM
The Pop-Up Mice of Mr. Brice.

It had all sorts of really neat pop-up mice, and it was cool, because my mom read it to me, then 5 minutes later I tried to read it by myself, and I could! From that day forward I could read. Crazy but true.
Fujiko 04-11-2005 10:33 PM
I remember the hungry caterpillar! It wasn't my first book, but i remember reading it. As a child I had those little golden books, a big pile of them in fact. I also had a sesame street book (i think it was called 123 sesame street, don't remember).
088nd 04-11-2005 10:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Maw
Bernstein Bear Series.

I loved those books. They ruled so much. My favorite had to be when they built their own baseball diamond with all this random ass garbage. It was great. I think we might've sold those in a garage sale though. Frown
Captain Maw 04-11-2005 11:05 PM
quote:
Originally posted by 088nd
quote:
Bernstein Bear Series.

I loved those books. They ruled so much. My favorite had to be when they built their own baseball diamond with all this random ass garbage. It was great. I think we might've sold those in a garage sale though. Frown

yes! a fellow bear. omg, deja vu, i sold them in a tag sale. Frown
they will be missed....
Avenir 04-11-2005 11:31 PM
Though it certainly wasn't my first book, my all time favorite childhood book was Buck-Buck the Chicken; the author escapes me at the moment. I haven't the slightest idea as to why I loved it so much, but I read it every night when I was four. Even before I learned how to read, I had the entire twenty-or-so page book fully memorized and I could recite it entirely without error.

We also had complete Beatrice Potter collection and I enjoyed her books very much when I was a toddler. It is a pity that we no longer have them.
Madrona 04-12-2005 12:08 AM
Whoa, too many to choose from.

My all time favorite picture book would be "The Little House" By Virginia Lee Burton.. She also wrote "Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel The Little House gave me an idealized view of the changing of the seasons...and a new view on urban sprawl Wink

My all time favorite books continue to be the "Little House" series by Laura Ingalls Wilder.As fate would have it. It appears I will be going to the Ozarks this summer, so I will be seeing her home outside of Mansfield, Missouri soon. I'm quite excited by that.

Madrona
Travis Bickle 04-12-2005 12:11 AM
Goodnight Moon and the Giving Tree totally rocked my face when I was a little kid. I read them over and over again. I never got tired of them.
LillyRose 04-12-2005 01:31 AM
First book ever read on my own? Don't laugh but...Mickey Mouse's Picnic.
Gummibear 04-13-2005 07:47 AM
quote:
Well, i have to say it's been a while, my first book book was the very hungry caterpillar ( i think ) and my favorite childhood books were the Bernstein Bear Series. y tu?

Holy crap!I used to LOVE the Bernstein Bears! Big Grin When I was little I had all the books. I also was a big fan of Curious George.
R and D 04-13-2005 08:00 AM
the foot book, green and eggs and ham, and a bunny picture counting book.

surprisingly, i still have that bunny book!
BethMcBeth 04-13-2005 03:03 PM
My first book was Goodnight Moon, I can still remember seeig the pages sometimes well yeah I had to read it to my sybliings to as when they were small. Nice book though, I always did like the colours on the hungry catrpiler book too. ^_^""

-Beth
Dork 04-25-2005 12:56 AM
My favorite childhood book is 'Peppermint'. It's about this candy shop owner who's cat has a litter of kittens. The local children usually get 15 cents from their parents to buy candy after school so the shop keep, Mr. Dandy, decides to sell the kittens to the children at 15 cents each thinking that if the children are willing to give up their candy allowance they'll take good care of the kittens. Of the five kittens four quickly find homes but no one wants the last kitten, a pure white runt he names Peppermint.

Time goes by and Mr. Dandy begins to notice a little girl in ragged clothes who always comes in with the other children but never buys anything. Mr. Dandy goes up to her one day and asks if she wants a kitten, she says she doesn't have any money but Mr. Dandy scoops up Peppermint and asks if she can give the cat a home.

The next day at school the girl's class is having a beauty contest for the kittens they bought from Mr. Dandy and the little girl wants to enter Peppermint. But the cat's gotten dirty from rummaging around in Mr. Dandy's shop so the girl's mother gives Peppermint a wave but Peppermint jumps out of the bath into a tub of blueing. Anywho in the end Peppermint's fur is dyed blue and she wins the contest after all the students agree that Peppermint really is beautiful.

Total fluff piece but I was such an outsider as a child it appealed to me. And this was before I got all cynical about prose ^_^

muchlove
-Dork
madclarinet 05-03-2005 02:02 PM
For me its the Narnia books by C.S. Lewis.

These were the books that got me interested in reading fiction (I had read a LOT of non-fiction, but never fiction).

I haven't stopped yet and read books at an alarming rate - I read the last Harry Potter in a day and a half.
dancinggummi88 06-15-2005 12:33 PM
i would have to say harry potter and then theres traveling pants(a chic flick)
Jonny Axehandle 06-21-2005 08:29 PM
Mr. Frumbles Worst Day Ever

Even as a child, I'll take comedy over happy endings with good life lessons anyday.
Mike 06-21-2005 08:35 PM
Lucky Chuck.
This story of a kid and his motorcycle, and how he crashes and was lucky that he had his helmet on.

I also used to have this book all about fire trucks. And another about big construction trucks. Trucks are the coolest thing in the universe when you're 6. Which is funny because the book was recommended for 10 to 11 year olds.
Sharpshooter005 06-23-2005 12:46 AM
Goodnight Moon. If I looked, I could probably still find the stuffed rabbit that came with the book.

Respect the bunny, or terrible things may happen.
thebravest1 06-23-2005 07:58 AM
I liked Dr. Suess books while I was little like One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish
Sir Nise 06-23-2005 04:12 PM
Dr. Seuss, Berstein Bears, I especially liked the story where the bird is trying to find it's fraternal parent. That bird had heart.