Favorite/First Childhood Book

Sephiroth 06-23-2005 09:03 PM
My favorite childhood book is The Hobbit. It was actually one of the first books that was read to me, and that I would later read. For several years, I was obsessed with The Hobbit, and I have to say that I still like it more than the Lord of the Rings trilogy. My first book was the Paddington Bear series if I recall correctly. Either that or Dr. Seuss.
Buck Buck #1 06-23-2005 09:38 PM
My favorite childhood book was Where the Wild Things are. I used to love that book so much.
Captain Maw 06-23-2005 11:30 PM
Another childhood book: the magic school bus. i loved that bus. i hated ms.frizzle. and i loved arnold. and i hated his classmates. yeah. that sums it up.
Collateral 06-26-2005 07:27 PM
My favorite first book was Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs!
Schwarzwald 06-26-2005 07:27 PM
lol. I HATED Green eggs and ham... especially the part he got trapped inside a box with the fox. Roll Eyes

But the "Go! Dog! Go!" I liked.
vvvvvvvvv
Do you like my hat?
No I do not like your hat
Frown

^^^^^^That happens about 3 times until the woman dog finally admits her love for the dogs new hat. She likes his hat.
Collateral 06-26-2005 07:29 PM
I forgot about that book! I loved it too!
Hitomi 11-22-2005 08:24 PM
Dr. Seuss was and still is one of my favorite books
Dude Love 11-22-2005 09:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Hitomi
Dr. Seuss was and still is one of my favorite books

Which one?

---

I'm so sad right now...I was looking for my copy of Goodnight Moon, and it's gone. It wasn't with all the other books.

I mean, I destroyed the thing when I was younger (over-read/held it), but it has to be somewhere! It was my favorite book ever!

So, instead, I grace you with the words of Sam and the Firefly by P.D. Eastman (this one was originally my father's, as well as one of my favorites. It's copyright 195Cool :

The moon was up
when Sam came out.
"Now is the time for fun," he said.
"WHO," said Sam, "WHO!
Who wants to play?"
But no one said a thing.
harshfire 11-26-2005 12:42 PM
quote:
Remember all the Dick-and-Jane Books and the very first word you ever learned, the biggest word of all-LOOK

That's a quote from a poster in my Algebra teacher's room. It's great. The first book I read?

Dr. Suess and I Love You Forever.

Later days:
JA
Username: Rev VII
Sharpshooter005 11-26-2005 08:22 PM
I've got some gripes here.

The goodnight moon rabbit is getting his due recognition, but I'm not seeing enough love for this...

The berenstein bears didn't contain the level of deep political subtext that Babar did either. Looking back, that entire thing about how Babar managed to have whimsical and zany adventures, but still carry out a war with the rhinocerouses just becomes so incredibly awesome.

Also, heres one thing you'd never see in a berenstein bear book. I very clearly remember one of Babars advisors or generals or something, wearing a monocle.

Yeah..a monocle.

Beat that one.

EDIT: Oh, and looking at wikipedia...Babar gets power in a power vacuum caused by the last king "eating poisionous mushrooms". Thats clearly a child-friendly way of saying "A radical faction assassinated the previous monarch through poision". So then Babar strolls in...possibly from exile...in his GREEN SUIT. And then basically modernizes the elephants. So in that sense he's Peter the Great, except an elephant.

Point is, Babar is awesome. Probably more awesome than children deserve in their books.
The Baker St. Irregular 11-29-2005 10:00 PM
There was this weird Richard Scarry book that was freakin' long and had about a million pages of the awesomest pictures ever. They were so detailed and wonderful, I'd never stop looking at it. I loved it so much, I drew in it. Pleased Now, I really wish I hadn't. I wasn't a very good artist back then.

The first book I could actually read by myself was The Foot Book. I think I picked it up one day, went over to my mom and dad, and read every word except for "twenty". I totally rocked.
KittyTheHitwoman 12-01-2005 04:35 AM
Someone gave me a copy of "Mysterious Island" by Jules Verne when I was 8, and that was my absolute fave for the longest time.

I also read Lord of the Rings as a kid, but I thought The Hobbit was the best one.........Wonder when they're gonna make that into a special-effects-extravaganza movie.....
Raphaela 12-28-2005 01:32 AM
The Westing Game. I remember reading this when I was little and I loved it; in fact, I still read it today! Smile Exellent book, I suggest it to the rest of you. =^^=
Mugiwara Luffy 12-28-2005 10:55 AM
Thought of this the other day: Mr. Popper's Penguins.

And with all the penguin movies coming out recently it's only a matter of time before we see it on the big screen.
pen1300 12-30-2005 08:00 PM
I don't remember the first picture book I ever read...I claim it might have been Chucka, Chucka, Boom, Boom.

My favorite [picture book] right now is Skippy Jon Jones and Skippy Jon Jones Goes To The Dog House. Sure they are a bit more recent, but I saw it at work and just fell in love with it. "My name is Skipito Bandito!"

Besides, the children's books I love would be too many to list and then there are the ones the kids love. Big Grin

Later,
Pen1300
Hobodoken 12-30-2005 08:07 PM
The Polar Express would definately be way up there.

Hell, my dad still reads it to my sister and I on Christmas Eve.
RoseRose 03-04-2006 02:16 AM
Hmmm... I loved the Bearenstien Bears, Babar, Dr. Seuss (all of them, but especially Oh the Places You'll Go), Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.

Then, a bit older, I got addicted to The Babysitters Club back near when the series was... not that old. The first "adult" books I got into was the Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffery, and I still love the books!
Instro 03-04-2006 06:56 PM
Hey Sharpshooter, I loved Barbar, too! I had so many favorites as a kid, but if I had to pick one, I'd have to say it was "The Velveteen Rabbit."

I guess that's one reason I want to have kids of my own...I want to re-experience all those books I loved as I read them to my own children.