The Tim Burton Thread.("Charlie")

Generalissimo D 04-11-2005 09:27 PM
Yep. I've lost it. But thats besides the point. What do you think of this brilliantly twisted film maker? With the new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie looming over us, I just wanted to see what you think of him.

Edit:
Ok. Its done
pen1300 04-12-2005 09:36 PM
I haven't seen ALL of his stuff, but I must say, he is one of the better Directors out there. I'm a HUGE fan of the Tim Burton/Johnny Depp-as-lead thing. I like his vision for the first two Batmans. He's got talent.

Fave movie of his I think, has to be Ed Wood. He did such a brilliant job following the guy's life and his quest to make Plan Nine From Outer Space. We watched it after seeing Ed Wood and were so glad Tim Burton followed the black and white scheme and how he followed the cheesy effects.

Good director. I like his stuff and I'm TOTALLY looking forward to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Later,
Pen1300
BethMcBeth 04-12-2005 09:54 PM
OMG OMG!! TIM BURTON!!! *DROOLS* Oh god I love that man!!! (and Tony too Wink ) Hes a genius!!! Hes most excellent all of his works are a master piece! The Nightmare before Christmas awesome Edward Scisscor Hands again excellent! You just gotta love characters like that and oh gosh all of his works are just amazing. I love the tiwisted sense of humor because thats how life is now a days and I just adore him! Iam looking forward to seeing how he does do the whole Chocolate factory moive I am quite curious. LOL I also did my finial AP English 12 page paper report on Tim Burton as well. ^_^"" I love him1 ^_^" "

-Beth
Sharpshooter005 04-13-2005 04:20 PM
Nightmare before christmas was good, and my fond childhood memories of it make me want to...how to put this..."liberate" the merchandise from any hot topic I may come across.

Okay let me just spell it out. When I say liberate...I really mean serial arson.
Pie_Junkie 04-13-2005 04:48 PM
I love his flims. My favorite is Nightmare before Christmas, but all the posers that never even seen it or don't really love the movie having all the Jack stuff drives me mad. Mad I tells ya! It will be a great fire upon that day! ....sorry I take that crap personly....
Travis Bickle 04-13-2005 05:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
Nightmare before christmas was good, and my fond childhood memories of it make me want to...how to put this..."liberate" the merchandise from any hot topic I may come across.

Okay let me just spell it out. When I say liberate...I really mean serial arson.

Off Topic: I actually got kicked out of Hot Topic yesterday for...well...making fun of Hot Topic (basically calling it "prepackaged angsty pseudo emo/gothic culture crap") after the manager or whomever made fun of my of my Boba Fett/mc chris hoodie. I went off on a 2 minute rant and was forced to leave. What was I doing in ther? Well, my friends and I went to the mall for the hell of it, and I stumbled in to see how society was failing (haven't been in one in about half a year with my sister). Fun stuff.

But yeah, Nightmare Before Christmas was amazing. Courpse Bride and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory will be awesome. The first two Batmans, Edward Scissorhands, and Beetlejuice were also kick ass.
Volt 04-13-2005 05:53 PM
My timeline of Tim Burton's movies:

Before Big Fish: Awesome
Big Fish and on: Complete crap
Sharpshooter005 04-13-2005 08:24 PM
quote:
I actually got kicked out of Hot Topic

One, this "boba fett/mc chris hoddie" intrigues me.

Two, two of my friends have also been kicked out of there. I forget why exactly, but it really had more to do with being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Then again...is there ever a right time to be inside a hot topic. Tongue
Generalissimo D 04-13-2005 08:35 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
quote:
I actually got kicked out of Hot Topic

One, this "boba fett/mc chris hoddie" intrigues me.

Two, two of my friends have also been kicked out of there. I forget why exactly, but it really had more to do with being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Then again...is there ever a right time to be inside a hot topic. Tongue

I salute Cerpin Taxt. Here man. take this veil and use it for a molotov. Hot Topic is basicly a store for prepackaged style...but it isnt much worse than those other places that sell all the gansta(heh) clothing. Bull-Shitzu crap if you ask me.

And NO, there is never a time to be in hot topic.

Getting back on topic...

Big Fish was quite good actually. Granted, not his signature twisted style, but good. Nice to variate from the norm.

Interesting note:Tim Burton did not direct The Nightmare Before Christmas(Oh why you punk bastards?! Why did you deface Jack and my childhood memories?! WHY?!). He produced and provided the material, but did not produce it. That honor belongs to Henry Selick.
despairagus 04-14-2005 05:25 PM
I like him, though I'm not going to scream and hyperventilate when I hear about his movies.

...and yes, Jack is being defaced because all the people who have never seen the movie think he looks cool and makes them look GOTH. I buy it because anyone a jillion feet tall and can sing is cool on my list.

And he has a cool bow. Izall... battish. Back to the movie.

Tim Burton is an interesting guy, although I occasionally don't like the way he's going about Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. But I'm sure I'll lub it. I better love it, because I've already baught the shirt.
Generalissimo D 07-01-2005 02:44 PM
Jonny Axehandle 07-01-2005 02:47 PM
Johnny Depp != Gene Wilder
Gummibear 07-01-2005 03:00 PM
I love Tim Burton...reason I love him...because of Batman and Batman Returns ( Batman Returns especially). Even though his version of Batman wasn't exactly according to the comic book he brought his Batman to the big screen and exposed people to the Batman that comic book fans already loved; The dark knight. I will never forget Tim Burton's nightmarish Gotham and Danny Elfman's score. I LOVED Batman Begins so I try not to compare Tim Burton's Batman with Christopher Nolans Batman Begins...it's too painful to chose between the two.

I'm also a huge fan of Edward Scissorhands and Nightmare Before Christmas. I can't wait for the Corpse Bride and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory! Tim Burton's films are so visually interesting that they can be watched time and time again and still feel new.
Lady Tesser 07-01-2005 03:26 PM
I saw 'Frankenweenie' when it was finally released - that production pretty much sums up his style. He's like the lovechild of Edward Gorey, Shel Silverstein, Dr. Seuss, and Charles Dickens.

*putting two cents into the packaged-goth debate* He's one of the ORIGINAL goths. Period.

Also (since I'm taking a directing class) I greatly admire his consistancy in his work. From start to finish, the movies he's directed all have a distinctive style and atmosphere. He blends whimsy with horror and romance, and allows the work to be about the characters in these worlds. The human element has always been central in his movies.
Sharpshooter005 07-01-2005 03:40 PM
quote:
He's one of the ORIGINAL goths. Period.

So...wait, Ostrogoth or Visigoth?
Lady Tesser 07-01-2005 04:19 PM
Touche, you got me there, Sharpshooter. I don't think he's quite that old. ^_^
Zopwx2 07-01-2005 04:37 PM
Oddly enough the only weakness I can forsee in Charlie is Johnny Depp......

Anyway Tim Burton Movies rock.
Collateral 07-01-2005 04:56 PM
I want to see it! My favorite movie is Nightmare Before Christmas.

What blows me away sometimes is when people tell me they have never seen it. I then tell them that they never lived. It is true!

I am a huge fan! I know every song by heart. I have seen it so many times it is ridiculous!
Travis Bickle 07-01-2005 06:18 PM
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is just a giant marketing ploy. Nobody can replace Gene Wilder. But I'll see it anyway.

And, for future reference, please refer to Robert Smith as the original "goth".
dominusofdeath 07-01-2005 06:31 PM
Tim Burton is a terrible director.