The Tim Burton Thread.("Charlie")

Tickle Tickle 07-01-2005 06:43 PM
I like alot of his movies. Beetlejuice, Nightmare Before Xmas, Edward Scissorhands, and Batman. I love how the atmosphere of his movies are, so oddball. One of the reason I want to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory so bad is because of how it looks.

And on the topic of Hot Topic, why are all the goths suddenly into the Nightmare Before Christmas? I've loved the movie since I was a kid, and now all of a sudden Hot Topic is filled with Nightmare Before t-shirts, bookbags, pens, etc. Now everyone who wears black thinks Nightmare is the best thing since sliced bread. Jeez.
Lady Tesser 07-01-2005 06:48 PM
quote:
Tim Burton is a terrible director.


Come on, I gave a reason for him being good, now you got to give a reason for him being bad. Can't just make a blanket statement and expect respect for it. ^_^
dominusofdeath 07-01-2005 06:55 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Tesser
quote:
Tim Burton is a terrible director.


Come on, I gave a reason for him being good, now you got to give a reason for him being bad. Can't just make a blanket statement and expect respect for it. ^_^


He only made one good movie. Beeteljuice. Nightmare before Christmas sucked. AND he's ruined Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by casting Johnny Depp.
Volt 07-01-2005 06:58 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jonny Axehandle
Johnny Depp != Gene Wilder


Because you said that, Burton's going to remake Blazing Saddles with Johnny Depp and Chris Tucker. Roll Eyes
dominusofdeath 07-01-2005 07:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Volt
quote:
Originally posted by Jonny Axehandle
Johnny Depp != Gene Wilder


Because you said that, Burton's going to remake Blazing Saddles with Johnny Depp and Chris Tucker. Roll Eyes


Jesus Christ! If he did that I'd have to kill him and his family. Blazing Saddles is one of the greatest movies ever.
Jonny Axehandle 07-01-2005 07:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by DominusofDeath
quote:
Originally posted by Volt
quote:
Originally posted by Jonny Axehandle
Johnny Depp != Gene Wilder


Because you said that, Burton's going to remake Blazing Saddles with Johnny Depp and Chris Tucker. Roll Eyes


Jesus Christ! If he did that I'd have to kill him and his family. Blazing Saddles is one of the greatest movies ever.


Could have been worse. He could have said Silver Streak.
Lady Tesser 07-01-2005 09:18 PM
quote:
Nightmare before Christmas sucked.


For what reason? Lighting? Scripting? Acting? Music? Animation? Atmosphere? Storyline? There are a million and a half factors that you find it unappealing - simply saying 'it sucked' is just as much a blanket statement as 'he's a terrible director'.

Besides the fact that he did NOT direct it - I wish people would actually read the credits for once.

And since nobody's seen "Charlie" yet, I suppose it is a little premature to judge casting decisions at this time ... I still remember the negative hoo-rah over Depp being casted as Hunter S. Thompson/Raul in "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas", but he turned out to be perfect.
dominusofdeath 07-01-2005 10:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Tesser
quote:
Nightmare before Christmas sucked.


For what reason? Lighting? Scripting? Acting? Music? Animation? Atmosphere? Storyline? There are a million and a half factors that you find it unappealing - simply saying 'it sucked' is just as much a blanket statement as 'he's a terrible director'.

Besides the fact that he did NOT direct it - I wish people would actually read the credits for once.

And since nobody's seen "Charlie" yet, I suppose it is a little premature to judge casting decisions at this time ... I still remember the negative hoo-rah over Depp being casted as Hunter S. Thompson/Raul in "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas", but he turned out to be perfect.


The storyline. I'm sorry I didn't clarify earlier.
Lupin IV 07-03-2005 07:55 PM
Speaking of Nightmare Before Christmas, how can this future Tim Burton movie not remind you of it. A few other people here mentioned Corpse Bride and here's a little background on the myth behind the movie.

http://www.timburtoncollective.com/corpse.html

I didn't realize J.Depp was in it though. And I myself was wondering why am I suddenly seeing like a million people at my school wear clothing/pins/etc of Jack. Someone even carved his head into a door in one of my classes, lol Roll Eyes .
Fujiko 07-04-2005 06:18 PM
I'm actually waiting for Corpse Bride to come out in theaters. I'm anticipating Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (no, Johnny Depp can never replace Gene Wilder). From the movies I have seen, I do like Tim Burton's style. I did like Nightmare Before Christmas as a child. Some of my favorites so far are Edward Scissorhands, Big Fish, and the Batman movies he's done.
Sir Nise 07-04-2005 11:28 PM
J. Depp looks REALLY scary in the new movie. After Googling his name, and finding his filmography, i realized what great movies he did that were pure awesome. Batman Returns, Mars Attacks, The Nightmare....Christmas, Edward Scissorhands, PEE-WEE!

Yep, this guy is outrageous, he should have left this movie alone. They changed the Oompa Loompas! I can't "Lick his boat, because it will get sticky," what?!? Why didn't the Deppster stay a pirate? (Pirates of the Carribean 2 coming soon!)
Gummibear 07-05-2005 04:41 PM
My cousin and I developed a theory about Charlie and the Chocolate Factory the other night...

spoiler (highlight to read):
that the twist is going to be that Charlie and the Chocolate Factory won't really be a remake of the same movie but a sequel. That Johnny Depp's Willy Wonka is actually Charlie all grown up once Willy Wonka passes the factory on to him. It's a weird theory I know...but either way it's interesting.
Dude Love 07-05-2005 10:15 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Gummibear
My cousin and I developed a theory about Charlie and the Chocolate Factory the other night...

spoiler (highlight to read):
that the twist is going to be that Charlie and the Chocolate Factory won't really be a remake of the same movie but a sequel. That Johnny Depp's Willy Wonka is actually Charlie all grown up once Willy Wonka passes the factory on to him. It's a weird theory I know...but either way it's interesting.


No, it's not a remake. It's a completely different movie based on the same book. The writer for this movie did not even see the original one with Gene Wilder.

I will miss "The Wondrous Boat Ride" scene, though.

You're going to love this, just love it.

There's no earthly way of knowing
Which direction we are going
There's no knowing where we're rowing (rowing)
Or which way the river's flowing

Is it raining? Is it snowing?
Is a hurricane a-blowing?

Not a speck of light is showing
So the danger must be growing
Are the fires of hell a-glowing?!
Is the grisly reaper mowing?

Yes! The danger must be growing!
For the rowers keep on rowing!!
And they're certainly not showing,
ANY SIGNS THAT THEY ARE SLOWING!!!

AHHHHH!

This has gone on far enough, Wonka.

Quite right sir! Stop the boat!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Hienrich Ele 07-07-2005 01:31 AM
I just saw a trailer for "Corpse Bride" and all that was running through my mind was "YES!". It looks sooo good. It was playing "What's This?" in the background, or something very similar, which made me want to see it all the more.

I have loved everyone of Tim Burton's movies, especially the Batman ones. However, my all time favorite Burton movie is "Nightmare Before Christmas". I love it. Even bought the sound track for it.
Travis Bickle 07-15-2005 06:14 PM
I caved in and saw it.

Very well directed, written and acted film. Johnny Depp is one of my favorite actors, and put on a great show.

It was as good, if not better, than the original...(OMIGOSH!)
Sir Nise 07-15-2005 06:44 PM
I heard the movie was so-so, but now I might just have to see it.

On a similar note, I'm sure you're all aware of Tim Burton's new movie, The Corpse Bride. It looks mega-awesome, and mega well rendered.

Hits theatres Sept. 23, 2005. I want some candy thinking about Wonka......mmmmm....candy Pleased .
Almasy 07-15-2005 07:02 PM
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was hott! I loved it! I would definitely go see it again!
Tickle Tickle 07-15-2005 09:23 PM
Just came back from seeing Charlie and The Chocolate Factory. I freaking loved it! Johnny Depp was so damn funny as Willie Wonka. I gotta say I liked it better than the original.

The only thing I didn't care for was
spoiler (highlight to read):
Willie Wonka's little background with his father, and the origin of the Upa Lupas...
evanASF27 07-15-2005 09:35 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Volt
quote:
Originally posted by Jonny Axehandle
Johnny Depp != Gene Wilder


Because you said that, Burton's going to remake Blazing Saddles with Johnny Depp and Chris Tucker. Roll Eyes

O_o NOOOOOOOOooooo

Silver Streak?! O_O WITH JOHNNY DEPP!??!?! *looks for a large rock to throw*

I might go and see the new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but I still love the original one with Gene Wilder. That guy made the whole elevator scene all the more thrilling O.O!! Gene Wilder is the perfect crazy guy actor...I can't say for certain if Johnny Depp will fill his shoes, but for this movie I can only say I hope so Wink
thebravest1 07-15-2005 09:47 PM
I still can't believe that they're remaking the original film. I mean Gene Wilder was perfect for the role. But what do you expect from Hollywood except remakes and sequels. *On a side note one of my freinds dad looks exactly like Gene Wilder. I mean he is a dead ringer.*