Favorite Star Wars Movie

Captain Maw 04-11-2005 09:18 PM
What's your favorite Star Wars Movie?
seeing how it's a classic series, and there are six of them, it's quite unique,
don't cast in your ballot if you think Episode III will knock your socks off. but don't vote right after seeing Ep.III, trust me, you'll regret it. Me? Empire.
The Fallen Phoenix 04-11-2005 09:20 PM
As of right now, The Empire Strikes Back is my favorite Star Wars movie, followed closely by The Return of the Jedi. Attack of the Clones and A New Hope are nearly tied in my mind, with the latter barely edging ahead. The Phantom Menace doesn't exist, in my opinion. That movie was terrible in every possible way with two exceptions: the music (as well done as always), and the second Maul duel. Neither was enough to save the rest of the movie, however.

I refuse to vote, however, until I see Revenge of the Sith, because I truly think it has the potential to top Empire, unlikely though that might be.
Mugiwara Luffy 04-11-2005 09:23 PM
With no offense, and strictly out of curiosity, why do rate A New Hope and Attack of the Clones so near each other? My own opinion is that ATOC is the worst one out of the five.

My vote went to Empire. Sorry to be cliche but it really is that good.
The Fallen Phoenix 04-11-2005 09:26 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Lt. Sanji
With no offense, and strictly out of curiosity, why do rate A New Hope and Attack of the Clones so near each other? My own opinion is that ATOC is the worst one out of the five.

My vote went to Empire. Sorry to be cliche but it really is that good.

I didn't think ATOC was all that bad: aside from the terrible "love story" Lucas tried to sell, I was pretty impressed with ATOC (and it was much better than TPM). On the other hand -- and I am not quite sure why I feel this way -- I've never really been the biggest fan of ANH. It was always my least favorite of the OT, even before the NT came out (though, as I've stated before, TPM is just so bad)...

TESB is miles ahead of them all, though, so it really isn't much of an issue for me. Other than TPM, I think they're all excellent movies regardless of where they might rank on my own personal list.
Avenir 04-11-2005 09:29 PM
While I enjoy each and every one of the films in the series very much despite the flaws present in a few of them, my favorites would be The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. But like The Fallen Phoenix, I shall postpone my vote until I view Revenge of the Sith.
Captain Maw 04-11-2005 09:36 PM
well, it's agreed: The Phantom Menace sucks. yes? going once, going twice?
TanookiJoe 04-11-2005 09:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by The Fallen Phoenix
I didn't think ATOC was all that bad: aside from the terrible "love story" Lucas tried to sell, I was pretty impressed with ATOC (and it was much better than TPM).

Actually, I don't think it was the love story per se as the absolutely awful execution of it. I've seen enemies with better chemistry than those two... Roll Eyes

But, like most, I vote for Empire, because its a superior movie, not just of Star Wars but cinema in general.
The Fallen Phoenix 04-11-2005 09:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by TanookiJoe
Actually, I don't think it was the love story per se as the absolutely awful execution of it. I've seen enemies with better chemistry than those two... Roll Eyes

That is precisely my problem with it. The scripting was terrible, the chemistry was nonexistent...

I don't really blame it on the actors, though, since I do think their lines were terrible. I don't think the romance was sufficiently developed at all, either -- I have seen some non-believable relationships in film, but that one ranks near the top.

quote:
Originally posted by Captain Maw

Yes, that does seem to be the consensus. Tongue
Captain Maw 04-11-2005 09:52 PM
yeah, the romance was so artificial, and sometimes freaky. wasn't done right... shame, seeing how it was supposed to be really dramatic and all, now what are we supposed to feel when Anakin and Padme fall and never be? i mean, the developement of the romance was zilch, thus the third episode's romance will be killed.
Zopwx2 04-11-2005 09:55 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Maw

Agreed.

Although I've yet to see III, right now its going to ESB.
Captain Maw 04-11-2005 09:56 PM
I think the main reason why i didn't vote Ep.III is because without a good foundation, you don't have an easy drawing board. that's why i voted before viewing.
Mike 04-11-2005 09:57 PM
TPM is...no. They should refilm the entire movie and have ninjas replace everyone's copy.

AOTC is better, but the love story is painfully forced.

ROTS seems like it's going to be unbelieveably awesome.

ANH is pretty good, it was my favorite for awihle. It's funny watching it after AOTC, or even Jedi, and seeing how hokey the effects are.

Empire is awesome. One of the best movies ever made.

Jedi is good, the space battle is outstanding. But it has the damn Ewoks.

So I vote for Empire.
Big Money 04-12-2005 07:18 AM
I'd say Clone Wars, but that isn't really a movie and isn't on the list... So either Empire or Jedi... Though I'm waiting for III to come out to vote...
Lupin IV 04-12-2005 09:09 AM
TPM: I recently re-watched all the movies, and I have to say that this movie didn't seem as bad as many people are making it out. The opening fight was very cool, and it seemed like the movie took a dive from escaping Naboo scene up to the pod race, which was amazing. I still would have liked to have Jar Jar less clumsy/stupid, but he was BANISHED for his mistakes... The last 30 minutes or so with the great dual,space battle, and battle on the Naboo plains was so much fun to watch. As for young anakin, Jake did not play his part too well, I actually did not like his acting at all. However. He is a little kid, who has NEVER ACTED ON A MOVIE BEFORE! So I don't blame him. It's not like he's a seasoned actor. Darth Maul, even though he said nothing, was badass.

AOTC: I agree with captain maw here. Anakin and Padme's relationship was very strange, even faked. I also have a hard time watching anything in this movie, other than the opening, the jango fight, and the arena battle up to the end. The 2nd part is good, but the beginning is really too much of a snooze for me. the chase through Coruscant was OK. I remember leaving the theater thinking "It was good". Not great, good. No major complaints though. Acting from Hayden could have been better. "I wish I could just wish away these feelings." LMAO...hopefully he'll act better in...

ROTS: Can't wait to see. I was listening to the soundtrack a while before, and at least it sounds good Big Grin LoL The only thing I think could sink this movie is poor acting.

OT later, I have a driving class now. Roll Eyes
Mugiwara Luffy 04-12-2005 02:16 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Lupin IV
TPM: I recently re-watched all the movies, and I have to say that this movie didn't seem as bad as many people are making it out. The opening fight was very cool, and it seemed like the movie took a dive from escaping Naboo scene up to the pod race, which was amazing. I still would have liked to have Jar Jar less clumsy/stupid, but he was BANISHED for his mistakes... The last 30 minutes or so with the great dual,space battle, and battle on the Naboo plains was so much fun to watch. As for young anakin, Jake did not play his part too well, I actually did not like his acting at all. However. He is a little kid, who has NEVER ACTED ON A MOVIE BEFORE! So I don't blame him. It's not like he's a seasoned actor. Darth Maul, even though he said nothing, was badass.

Yay, someone defended Phantom Menace!

It's definitely not the best but it has a lot of good parts. The podrace and the final lightsaber duel do a lot to salvage the movie. The reason I put it a little above AOTC however, is because the acting and dialogue is not nearly as bad.

All of the movies are good movies. It's just that the New triology isn't comparable to the Old trilogy.

ROTS looks pretty awesome. I just hope they don't screw it up with boring dialogue and Christensen's atrocious acting...
Captain Maw 04-12-2005 03:40 PM
so, it's agreed: new trilogy is worse than the old one?
Lupin IV 04-12-2005 09:04 PM
"worse" is a strong word. I would say "not as good". Yeah, same thing, but still...

Anyway going back on topic, my favorite movie would definitley be ROTJ. The ewoks aren't that bad. I know they beat "The emporer's finest" but when you think about it, it's pretty much every ewok that can throw a rock/ smack with a stick against 100 at the most imperials. And the stormtroopers really didn't start losing until Chewie jacked a walker. Some people make it sound like 4 ewoks defeated the entire imperial navy.

That being said, the whole beginning of Han being saved, the barge fight, the speeder bikes, seeing the emporer face to face, the final father/son confrontation, battle of Endor, just make this movie the greatest of the 6 (so far) to me. As for the whole "Death Star rehash", hey, if I was in control of the empire, I wouldn't stop at building just one.

Yub Yub
Gummibear 04-14-2005 07:52 AM
It was between Return and Empire for me. I loved the character development and the romance between Han and Leia.
Hienrich Ele 04-14-2005 11:58 AM
Right now, my vote would go to Return of the Jedi, only because of the final battle, and the redemption of Vader. (I am a sucker for bad guy turns good, what can I say?)

However, Revenge of the Sith might take that away, because I am oh so looking foreward to Anaking betraying Obi-Wan. It has so much potential for the best of the best of the best.... Of the best.

So, currently, "Return of the Jedi". Though it may change with "Revenge of the Sith".

And, on a side note to those "Prequals are teh suck!". Yeah, they aren't as great as the original, so far. But it is what George Lucas, the maker of "Thank the maker!", envisioned how it should be. So, why you may not like it, it is how it is.

I just can't stand young Anakin and that "Wizard!" crap. But I accept it, as hard as it is.
Madrona 04-14-2005 01:05 PM
I voted for Empire though it's really hard to explain why. Okay, maybe not that hard.

I already loved ANH but Empire is the one that had me going back for more. I mean, a lot more. I must have seen it 20 times in the theaters ( thank the maker for cheap movie theaters!)

I had the script memorized, pathetic really. I grew my hair long, I wore out my LP of the soundtrack. The word "obsessed " comes to mind.

On the other hand, Return was really good. I too, loved the final duel between Luke and Vader and the redemption of the "bad guy" ( Oddly enough, for years my dad had been saying that Darth was really a good guy!)

I am am trully looking forward to Revenge ( heh, that came out funny).

Madrona