Saxophone

dtk91 04-10-2005 09:11 PM
Saxophone players come here! I'm just wandering who else here plays saxaphone... I play Bari and Alto and am first chair in my band Big Grin . Feel free to share any tips about taking care of your saxophone or whatever... i just found some thing out today. to get rid of the warping on the tip of your reed, you can soak it in water for about 2 minutes. this helps bigtime!!! I also been wandering if you can soak your reeds in flavored water to make it taste good... Has anyone tried this? Does it Work?
Travis Bickle 04-10-2005 09:33 PM
ME!

I've been playing alto for more than 9 years now. I have a sweet Yamaha alto and a somewhat custom made alto from some lesser known German company. I also have a tenor and a baritone that I got off of ebay for an uber cheap price, but I don't really pay much attention to them. I was in the Jazz band in high school for four years (I scored Tank! and several other songs for them as well), a Jazz band with a few of my friends outside of school, and the regular school band since about 4th grade. I pretty much taught myself, but I took lessons after a while to become more advanced. I also once sat in for a local ska band for a few weeks, but I hate ska, so that didn't go to well.

I only use Meyer mouthpieces because of the great jazz sound/feel it has. Everything else I've experienced is crap

Yeah, the reed soaking thing works to an extent. Depends what kind of reeds you use. I use Rico Royals (the blue box, for those of you that don't know), which are more expensive but have a better sound.

Never pour any sort of liquid down your sax.

Clean your mouthpiece out in a sink. It works for me. If not, then, disgustingly, all your saliva and what not starts to crust and harden and form at the inside of your mouthpiece, screwing with the sound.

Always polish it or else the fingerprints kind of screw with the metal after a while and it loses its luster more quickly.

I've never used any other liquid besides water on my reeds. Supposedly, the sugar messes with the strength of the reed. That's what I've been told.

And the more you use it, the better sound you'll get out of it. Something to do with the inside of a sax slowly opening up and you can get more air into it.
dtk91 04-10-2005 10:38 PM
how much did you get the Bari for... I use the rental at school... We only have one left because of the idiot 6th graders!! We used to have 3 Baris but now we have 1 because of those 2 clutzes(I have nothing against any other 6th graders) I have a Selmer S-90 mouthpiece for my Bari. My pads for my alto D, E, F major keys are pretty dirty... do you know how to clean them? some people say cleaning them with dollar bills is good, but clean them with a 20 dollar biill makes them last even longer Wink
Travis Bickle 04-10-2005 10:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by dtk91
how much did you get the Bari for... I use the rental at school... We only have one left because of the idiot 6th graders!! We used to have 3 Baris but now we have 1 because of those 2 clutzes(I have nothing against any other 6th graders) I have a Selmer S-90 mouthpiece for my Bari. My pads for my alto D, E, F major keys are pretty dirty... do you know how to clean them? some people say cleaning them with dollar bills is good, but clean them with a 20 dollar biill makes them last even longer Wink

My stepfather and I split $350 each for the (used) bari, since we both play it (but use different mouthpieces). However, used baritones go for at least $1000, so we got lucky.

The pads underneath the keys I constantly replace. The keypads I polish almost weekly, so they maintain their cleanliness. And usually, by the time they get super uber dirty, it's usuall time for me to replace them. However, I suggest either a good scrub with a cloth soaked in water and soap, or possible rubbing alcohol? I have no idea where you got the "use the dollar bill" idea.
NVWC2006 04-12-2005 05:03 PM
I am an Alto Saxophone player. I'm on my... 7th year of playing. For the first 6.5 years I had a Bundy II Alto from Selmer, but this year my parents were kind enough to upgrade me to a Yamaha 62, and it's great.

I use the old alto for stuff having to do with marching band or activities where I can't guarentee instruments won't get bumped.

I use the Yamaha every other time, for jazz and concert, with a Selmer C*80 moutpiece. It's a classical mouthpiece but I still use it for jazz because it's better than the basic mouthpieces that come with an instrument. I also have a plastic ligiture that screws on top.

quote:
Cerpin Taxt said
(I scored Tank! and several other songs for them as well)

I have the Cowboy Bebop Official Band Score, with Tank! in it. I going to work on the solo this summer and hope to play it in jazz band next year.

Oh, I'm 1st chair in the lower of our two jazz bands (i'll be 2nd chair in the upper one next year). I'm also 4th chair in the highest of our 3 concert bands, the Wind Ensemble, and once again I'll be at least 2nd chair next year.

If you want your pads to last longer, you can make sure to completely clean the sax after use. Sometimes my pads stick, and then I just use computer paper to clean them out. Just open the key, stick a torn sheet of paper in, close the key and pull the paper out. It generally cleans the dry spit build up. However, if the keys are overly wet, the paper may just tear and you may lose the paper INSIDE the sax. Hasn't happened to me yet but I know it wouldn't be good.
dtk91 04-13-2005 07:10 AM
I have a Vito... but i dont know what kind. My dad bought it from a friend, that friend of my Dad's bought it from someone ewlse... i have no clue how old it is. I have the Serial number. Is there any way i can find out what kind it is and when it was made? I assume it is VERY old. Well i have to get ready for school.
BethMcBeth 04-13-2005 03:09 PM
Wow that is so cool! I always wanted to learn how to play it for fun and stuff, I have never even held one before but I probably won't get to anytime soon. Keep on playing guys! ^_^""

-Beth
dtk91 04-14-2005 07:19 PM
i found out why You use a dollar bill to clean out pads!! the ink absorbs the wet spit if you just run it through!
madclarinet 04-16-2005 03:03 PM
I've played alto saxophone a bit, although I haven't access to one at the moment. I hope to get one sooner or later, then transcribe the saxophone solo in Big O and use it for a solo somewhere.

At the moment though, my flute and clarinet(s) must take the limelight as they are the ones I'm using in my music groups.

For the record, I carry a couple of wine bottle corks, a small knife and stage glue so I can carry out emergency repairs on my flute or clarinet.
dtk91 04-17-2005 09:19 PM
cool, I've been thinking about trying the clarinet, because my sister has it and doesnt use it anymore. It must be hard going between instruments.
Travis Bickle 04-17-2005 09:22 PM
quote:
cool, I've been thinking about trying the clarinet, because my sister has it and doesnt use it anymore. It must be hard going between instruments.

Not really. I picked up my sister's B flat clarinet with ease. I haven't played it in about 3 years, though.
madclarinet 04-18-2005 02:44 PM
quote:

It wasn't as bad as I first thought. The biggest problem I have is the amount of ledger lines above the stave - as I've been playing clarinet 15 or so years, the flute for only 1 or 2 years.

The fingering on the flute is very similar to the saxophone, also the flute overblows an octave, compared to the clarinet's 12th - which also helps a lot.
dtk91 06-28-2005 12:11 AM
I am so proud of myself. Currently I am the only kid in my entire school who can play the soprano saxaphone. My teachers say I make a really good sound out of it(which is hard to do.) and think I could be the next Kenny G. Cool Since im the only one that can play it Im the first pick for band drafting this summer. Big Grin My lessons teacher says I could be in any ensemble I want to. Before the school year starts I'm going to be in a jazz band... I can see it now... I'll have all of these great solos and everybody will be like, "Wow... he's way better than me." Wink