A good electric guitar?

Volt 04-09-2005 12:33 AM
Christmas before last, my sister got an acoustic guitar. She's been busy lately, so she relinquished it to me a few months ago. I've been playing it for about 2 months, and now I'm thinking about the realm of electric guitars. My friend plays guitar and his brother plays drums, and he says I should get one one we can play together. He's not sure where he got his or how much it cost, so I'm here to ask your opinions. What is a good electric guitar, where can I get it, and how much does it cost? I've been working for my dad recently and I'm saving up, so price shouldn't be a problem unless it's above about $300. Thanks for your time.
Ace of Spades 04-09-2005 12:42 AM
Look into The B.C. Rich Warlock, my older brother has one of them and its pretty good.
Travis Bickle 04-09-2005 12:43 AM
Hmmm...cheap...

hmm...

I have a few electrics, and one of them is a somewhat crappy B.C. Rich guitar that I brought here and I don't give a damn about. However, they're pretty much used for metal (and I'm not really a metal guitarist).

Ibanez has some decent and cheap (to an extent) models. I don't know any specific models, so you might want to check that out, but they're good overall.
Kittie heavenly6 04-09-2005 02:03 PM
You should be able to find a good used Fender Strat for Under 300 (maybe even brand new) As above, BC Rich makes decent Budget guitars, Epiphpone makes good budget Guitars, As Does Ibanez. i've always prefered Epiphone's and Fender's to all other brands, but that's just my opinion and experiences with them.
Mugiwara Luffy 04-09-2005 03:41 PM
I have a Fender Squier and seems just fine for me. You sound like you are a beginner too so I might suggest that. Plus, I know you can get it as part of a package deal with an amp and a whole bunch of other accessories for like $270.
Volt 04-10-2005 10:17 PM
Sorry for not replying, but thanks for all the recommendations. Where would I be able to get these, though? I know of one music specialty store in town, which could work. Or, should I just Froogle it or something?
Mugiwara Luffy 04-10-2005 10:53 PM
The one I suggested would most likely be avaible at your local music store.
Volt 04-10-2005 11:09 PM
Alright, thanks. I'll look for it when I get the chance.
Patsai 04-11-2005 02:20 AM
You should also consider getting lessons, it may be an option, but it helps out. It's gives you a better concept when you can discuss with your friends about b flats and c sharps and tempos and grooves and textures, etc. It just makes harmonizing with them easier, period, but again the option is totally up to you. If payment for lessons are out of the question, look up lessons on the internet, buy a guitar chord book, and practice like hell.
Volt 04-11-2005 04:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Patsai
You should also consider getting lessons, it may be an option, but it helps out. It's gives you a better concept when you can discuss with your friends about b flats and c sharps and tempos and grooves and textures, etc. It just makes harmonizing with them easier, period, but again the option is totally up to you. If payment for lessons are out of the question, look up lessons on the internet, buy a guitar chord book, and practice like hell.

Yeah, my mom was saying I should get lessons, but my friend has some DVD lessons that he's going to lend to me. I'll just see hoe it folds out.
Patsai 04-11-2005 10:05 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Volt
Yeah, my mom was saying I should get lessons, but my friend has some DVD lessons that he's going to lend to me. I'll just see hoe it folds out.

If you decide to teach yourself, that's a good option too, it may take longer and you may build bad habits, but often you come with some pretty amazing results like making up your own styles.
Captain Maw 04-11-2005 10:07 PM
quote:
quote:

If you decide to teach yourself, that's a good option too, it may take longer and you may build bad habits, but often you come with some pretty amazing results like making up your own styles.

yeah, as long as you got the fundamentals down, you can develop your own style!
Volt 04-12-2005 04:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Maw
quote:
quote:

yeah, as long as you got the fundamentals down, you can develop your own style!

I've also got my sister to help me. She's played violin, bass (not guitar), and acoustic guitar, so I'm sure she could help me on a lot of things.