The Band Known as Weezer

StevieV019 04-07-2005 08:15 AM
I have seen threads pop up around here critiquing and asking for opinions on various bands. Genre's of music get the same treatment and on occasion the band Weezer comes up on the thread, however, I have yet to see Weezer get their own thread. I love their sound, and their debut album, while probably considered classic or old school at this point in time (its been 10 years since it was released), Weezer, I grew up on as an adolescent teenager. When hearing their songs, call me nostalgic, it takes me back to memories I have of being a teenager.

How does everyone else feel about Weezer?

Here's the track list for their debut album, which is still my favorite of theirs:

1. My Name Is Jonas
2. No One Else
3. The World Has Turned And Left Me Here
4. Buddy Holly
5. Undone-The Sweater Song
6. Surf Wax America
7. Say It Ain't So
8. In The Garage
9. Holiday
10. Only In Dreams

Pretty much every song on there is good, from their mainstream radio hits (Buddy Holly, Undone, Say it Ain't So) to the "b-sides" songs that didnt much airplay. Classic stuff that truly makes me feel good when I listen to it.
Travis Bickle 04-07-2005 10:23 AM
Weezer kicks ass. I bought the blue album when it first came out.

Rivers Cuomo is amazing. My freind played pool against him after a concert once.

Make Believe is a good album (a bit better than Maladroit)...but it's not like I have it or anything >.> <.<

Best Weezer Songs (in random order):
-In The Garage
-El Scorcho
-Surf Wax America
-Say It Ain't So
-Burndt Jam
-Space Rock
-Hash Pipe
-Keep Fishin'
-Undone (The Sweater Song)
-Beverly Hills
-My Name Is Jonas
BethMcBeth 04-07-2005 02:54 PM
Hhaha I like them! ^_^"" I really enjoy their song "Undone-The Sweater Song" I always find myself tugging on threads of things when I listen to it. ITs a great band! ^_^""

-Beth
StevieV019 04-07-2005 03:38 PM
I think my favorite song of there's from the blue album is No One Else....that song just totally kicks ass in my opinion. Quick, darty, cheerful, but at the same time dark when the chorus kicks in....just plain awesome.

Surf Wax America is awesome too...
"You take your car to work, Ill take my board...
And when you're out of fuel, Im still afloat..." great line for a song....

In the Garage is great too...cracks me up...totally brings up memories of old school 80's-ness for some reason....
Spooky 04-07-2005 06:28 PM
But what about "The Good Life"....? That's easily in my top 10 Weezer songs. I quote that song constantly, however, people rarely pick up on it Frown

Wow...Weezer takes me back to the summer I got my driver's license! While I really didn't like The Green Ablum that much, I'll always have a special place in my heart for Pinkerton & The Blue Album.

Latah Wink
Token
StevieV019 04-08-2005 07:19 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Token Kittie
But what about "The Good Life"....? That's easily in my top 10 Weezer songs. I quote that song constantly, however, people rarely pick up on it Frown

Wow...Weezer takes me back to the summer I got my driver's license! While I really didn't like The Green Ablum that much, I'll always have a special place in my heart for Pinkerton & The Blue Album.

Latah Wink
Token

See?? Thats what Weezer does for me, too. Totally brings back memories...Their music takes me back to a time in the past, no matter which album of theirs Im listening to. Weird stuff, but also positive to some extent...anyway...interesting...
Captain Maw 04-09-2005 04:23 PM
yeah, i have to say, the word around the block is:
the blue album was their smash debut,
pinkerton brought them down (i disagree)
the green album brought them back up
maladroit was just okay. didnt' hurt them, didn't help them

and their new album to come soon. i think one of the song's is called "beverly hills" or something.
TanookiJoe 04-10-2005 02:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Maw
yeah, i have to say, the word around the block is:
the blue album was their smash debut,
pinkerton brought them down (i disagree)
the green album brought them back up
maladroit was just okay. didnt' hurt them, didn't help them

and their new album to come soon. i think one of the song's is called "beverly hills" or something.

Yeah, pretty much. I'll never understand how Rolling Stone named Pinkerton Worst Album of 1996. Pretty much why I don't read music magazines.

I loves me some Weezer.
BAM2HIM 04-25-2005 11:40 PM
Buddy Holly ROCKS.
Otherside 04-25-2005 11:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BAM2HIM
Buddy Holly ROCKS.

What he said
BAM2HIM 04-26-2005 02:56 PM
Island in the sun is quite fun to play on the guitar.
Bllue 04-27-2005 07:49 PM
I love Weezer! I just don't really like that beverly hills song because its so monotone. the lyrics are fine, though.
Zopwx2 04-14-2006 01:47 AM
so yeah, why is Pinkerton so good yet I've heard nothing of substance from the band in years.
Travis Bickle 04-14-2006 01:48 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Zopwx2
so yeah, why is Pinkerton so good yet I've heard nothing of substance from the band in years.

Because, after listening to the past 3 albums carefully, it dawned on me that Weezer kind of sucks.

I don't want to sound like a queer or nothing, but I think Depeche Mode rocks!
David Ryder 04-14-2006 02:36 AM
I never liked Weezer that much, most likely because alot of my friends in school, where "OMFG weezer!!" plus I don't like indie rock.
Mugiwara Luffy 04-15-2006 10:36 PM
I have one Weezer album. The blue one I guess. It's pretty good. I have the urge to listen to it every once in a while. So, yeah.

The plus is I got it for free. Whoo.
Spooky 04-19-2006 07:16 PM
quote:

Because the rest of the world (including the band) is under the impression that Pinkerton was some of the worst music they've produced to date. So why not churn out more trendoid pop rocky tunes that are eeriely remenescent of modern Green Day? *shudder*
Travis Bickle 04-20-2006 12:37 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Spooky
quote:

Because the rest of the world (including the band) is under the impression that Pinkerton was some of the worst music they've produced to date. So why not churn out more trendoid pop rocky tunes that are eeriely remenescent of modern Green Day? *shudder*

Even Weezer hates Pinkerton?

f***...
Buck Buck #1 04-20-2006 06:05 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
quote:
Originally posted by Spooky
quote:

Even Weezer hates Pinkerton?

f***...

Yeah, after the album bombed rivers kinda flipped out, which is why there was such a big break between then and the green album.
dancinggummi88 05-30-2006 11:08 AM
very entertaining