[Suggestion] Newcomer help [more]

Captain Maw 04-06-2005 11:11 PM
I find out that a lot of noobs (including myself) post threads that have already been covered and topics that are in another thread. i know that they get moved or whatnot, but i wonder if we can have a subject database for the forums, so that we won't get confused. i know that's what the subject headers are for, but that seems to be not good enough. since, we have to cycle through so many threads and some of the subjects make no sense, not to mention so many topics digress, i was just putting in a paper in the suggestion box....
Dude Love 04-06-2005 11:12 PM
There is a search function on the forums, which can be very useful for this. You can search if the topic has already been discussed, and read it if curious.
Captain Maw 04-06-2005 11:14 PM
yeah, i'd tried it, helpful, but more would be nice, since the digressions in teh threads have awryed the search fields. i mean it's just extra features taht would be a little more convenient.
Krang 04-07-2005 01:08 AM
Good idea, but it might be more trouble than it's worth. If some new people don't use the search function before starting a new thread, they probably wouldn't look in a list of existing topics, either.
Captain Maw 04-07-2005 01:19 AM
yeah, i guess your right, seeing how, if you look with a decent amount of attention to the search results, there will be a thread there. question: when you search, does it pick out the words in the posts? or the subject?

also, on a sidenote, i think our subject fields should be more accurate (concise, but accurate)
Krang 04-07-2005 01:44 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Maw
yeah, i guess your right, seeing how, if you look with a decent amount of attention to the search results, there will be a thread there. question: when you search, does it pick out the words in the posts? or the subject?

By default, it searches the entire post, but that can be changed on the search form under "Search for Content."

quote:
also, on a sidenote, i think our subject fields should be more accurate (concise, but accurate)

I agree, and I even added that onto Rule #9 in hopes that people will choose more accurate subject lines for their threads.