A Sad Day for Grunge

Travis Bickle 04-05-2005 10:33 PM
I don't know if anybody knew this/remembered, but:

3 years ago from today, Layne Staley of Alice in Chains died from a drug overdose (he was found on the 19th)

and

11 years ago from today, Kurt Cobain took his life.

I've been mourning the death of these great musicians all day, and Alice in Chains and Nirvana has been constantly heard throughout the dorm. My history teacher even brought it up for discussion.

Both were born in 1967.

May they rest in peace.

I just didn't want this to pass by, for I feel it is important (I should have done something about it last year, but I didn't).

Edit: If you don't know who these people are...well...then...you probobly should. They're pretty much the fathers/innovators of grunge rock.
BethMcBeth 04-06-2005 02:05 PM
OMG !!! That was so sad!! I can't beleive for Kurt Cobain its been 11 years! That was so sad!!! Defently a most awesome artist.
Captain Maw 04-06-2005 02:09 PM
man... they died before i knew it, and nowi wish they hadn't. we have lost good people
Kittie heavenly6 04-07-2005 01:58 PM
last year I started a thread about this to try and get discussion going about Nirvana and AiC actually. Glad to see someone else carrying the torch while I've been busy this week.

Everyone knows AiC and Nirvana are two of my favorite bands, there is not a day that goes by that I don't miss those two bands. I actually saw Jerry Cantrell in concert one week after Layne's death. It was a great show, and it was very emotional when he played "Down in a whole". (He sang his lines, the crowd sang layne's.)

To anyone who hasn't discovered these bands yet, I seriously recomend picking up atleast the Greatest hits albums, or you can always PM me or Ask here about song recomendations.

(Oh, and I wouldn't call them Innovators of Grunge, they both actually hated that term in a hardcore way. Kurt actually prefered his music to be considered pop of all things. Shocked )

To bad we can't get a singalong started of AiC songs over the Forums Laughing

"Everyday something hits me all so cold, You find me sitting by myself No Excuses then I know"
Travis Bickle 04-07-2005 02:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Grunger Kittie Version 1
(Oh, and I wouldn't call them Innovators of Grunge, they both actually hated that term in a hardcore way. Kurt actually prefered his music to be considered pop of all things. Shocked )

Meh...I kind of see them as that, though. It's been labeled by the media and the music industry, whom I both loathe, but I decided to just go with it. They're both out of the Northwest, which is where most grunge originated from, so...yeah...you get the idea.

But I do remember Cobain saying that in an interview.

My girlfriend, my friend Cait and I were the ones who reminded everyone about it. If we hadn't said anything to the others, this day would have been forgotten.
Green_Bird 04-07-2005 03:26 PM
Crap...I'm so swamped with school work, I must have for gotten about it Crying . I always thought it was strange that they were born the same year and they died on the same day years apart. Just One of those strange coincidences I guess. But still...May Kurt and Layne rest in peace Frown .
StevieV019 04-07-2005 03:41 PM
A momentous day indeed...

Alice in Chains...easily one of the my top 10 bands of all time.

Surprisingly, Ive enjoyed more of Nirvana after their reign in the rock world "ended" with Cobain's passing. Still, I pop in their albums and feel like Im rediscovering a certain genre of music everytime I listen to them. I know their music, their songs, but everytime it feels brand new to me. Does that make sense?

Anyway...big day indeed...
Kittie heavenly6 04-09-2005 02:05 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
quote:

Meh...I kind of see them as that, though. It's been labeled by the media and the music industry, whom I both loathe, but I decided to just go with it. They're both out of the Northwest, which is where most grunge originated from, so...yeah...you get the idea.

My girlfriend, my friend Cait and I were the ones who reminded everyone about it. If we hadn't said anything to the others, this day would have been forgotten.

The Term "Grunge" was actually coined by the Media to describe the look the bands wore Wink
Travis Bickle 04-09-2005 02:18 PM
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
quote:

The Term "Grunge" was actually coined by the Media to describe the look the bands wore Wink

I know that Pleased