[Question] ratings???

Captain Maw 03-28-2005 08:23 PM
my rating has gone down. thats probably a bad thing. what does it mean? what is it's purpose???
Dude Love 03-28-2005 08:24 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Maw
my rating has gone down. thats probably a bad thing. what does it mean? what is it's purpose???

The member rating is what other members of the forum think of you. While not a scientific decision of your worth to the forum, a low rating would generally indicate that your posts are rubbing some the wrong way, and perhaps you should observe the behavior of members with a high rating.

Don't think too much of it, though.
Zopwx2 03-28-2005 08:51 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Wienberg
quote:

The member rating is what other members of the forum think of you. While not a scientific decision of your worth to the forum, a low rating would generally indicate that your posts are rubbing some the wrong way, and perhaps you should observe the behavior of members with a high rating.

Don't think too much of it, though.

Yeah, my rating was crap for the longest time....
Captain Maw 03-28-2005 09:40 PM
I gave you both a '10'. this dejection from the PCF community needs some time to heal.
Mugiwara Luffy 03-28-2005 11:15 PM
Look at it this way. You have 12 votes and only 153 posts. So at least you're gaining a reputation around the forums. I don't know if it's a good reputation however. I just think you need to hang around a bit longer before you get the feel of things around here. I like most of your posts and I'm not the type to bash newbies so I gave you a decently high rating. Hope it goes up for you, if you care about that sort of thing. Like post count, it's really nothing to be too concerned about.
Captain Maw 03-29-2005 12:17 AM
thanks man. i have this pretty bad feeling. but no worries, i'll post, follow the rules, and if people have a problem, hopefully my voice is still heard.
StevieV019 03-29-2005 07:25 AM
Its just a ranking. It appears that everyone makes a big deal out of them. The people on this forum appear to be pretty fussy about things, and one post can cause your ranking to drop tremendously, regardless of the quality of the post. If the post is in the minority opinion or goes against the majority for a certain topic, expect your ranking to decrease. The main core of members on this forum are pretty mature and can deal with differing opinions, however, there are a LOT of posters here that are of the younger demographic and have a short fuse. As such, they'll fly off the handle and retaliate with a quick click on your user ranking.

In the end...how important is the rating? If you enjoy being here and think you contribute something, who cares? One other thing to point out...you've posted 153 times and have had 12 people rate you. Consider this...Ive posted over 1700 times and have been rated by the same amount of people. Most people dont really pay attention to it, or else, at least those mature enough to handle it. No matter how long you've been here, some people dont even bother to rate you...

So, basically, take it with a grain of salt, as long as you dont break the rules, you wont be booted from here. Meaning, a low rating (based upon ratings from other members) wont boot you from the forums.
Captain Maw 03-29-2005 02:23 PM
thanks, the thing is... somebody had to go out of their way to go thumbs down, is what really gets to me. i mean, of course i'm not that insecure, but i just want to mention it, so i can understand what it meant. thanks again.
Travis Bickle 03-29-2005 02:29 PM
quote:
thanks, the thing is... somebody had to go out of their way to go thumbs down, is what really gets to me. i mean, of course i'm not that insecure, but i just want to mention it, so i can understand what it meant. thanks again.

Dude, everybody gets it one time or another. Just chill about it.

Edit: In fact, make that several people that went out of there way. It doesn't matter, though. Just don't make a big deal out of it. Nobody else really does.
Mr. Fortnight 04-02-2005 03:23 PM
Ratings seem to be just another status thing. Although lately I've been seeing people take MASSIVE hits in their ratings for reasons I don't understand. People that I see being pretty good in their posts.

Quite honestly, with the anonomous nature of ratings, it's quite a magnet for griefing. What if someone says something, that other than a low rating, a newb shoots back saying he or she should be trusted because they have a low rank and are potential trolls?

I can see the "Experience" meter. It's an assesment of activity and participation. But the only true meter of poster quality I think should be here is the Warning track.

In other words, no warnings, no problem.

If it's possible to remove the rating system, you'd get no tears form me when it's removed.