[Suggestion] Add/Modify the Allowed Post Frequency to several threads

Travis Bickle 03-27-2005 11:48 PM
I just thought of this randomly.

The "What Are You Listening To" and "Song Quotes" have no limit on how often you can post. Therefore, someone can post in those threads 10 times per page (in an average of a 20 post page, which is the default) and keep doing so, thus wrongfully increasing their post count. I suggest there is a rule put on those threads saying that you can only post once after every 15 or 20 posts.

Same thing goes for the "Rate My Sig/Banner" and "Rate The Avatar" thread. Easy post numbers. I suggest allowed posts after every 8-10 posts from other members.

The Picture thread is different. 5 unique posts doesn't seem to be enough, basically because the same people post in there over and over agan. Not that there's anything with that and the fact that they want to show themselves off a bit, but it would be cool to see a bit of a variety of people in the thread, instead of the following:

-Person 1
-Person 2
-Person 3
-Person 4
-Person 5
-Person 1
-Person 2
-Person 3
-Person 4
-Person 5
-and so on

My suggestion is make it so that, after at least 8-10 unique posts (as in posts with pictures), one is allowed to post three pictures of their choice. Therefor, we get to see some new faces and comment on them for a bit, instead of them being ignored while the regulars strut there stuff. Again, I have nothing against anybody, and I really don't go that often into the picture thread. I just noticeda few things and thought it would be a good idea to make some changes.

Just a few ideas to strengthen the forum a bit.
Krang 03-28-2005 01:24 AM
Good idea. Limits like that are somewhat hard to enforce, but it would definitely improve the variety in those threads and prevent people from posting repeatedly to increase their post counts. A few ways to place limits are "once every x posts" (which you suggested), "x times per page" (assuming the default of 20 posts per page), or "once every x days." Which does everyone think would work best for these threads?

As for the picture thread, it doesn't seem to be that bad, but we could try an increase and see how it goes. Does an increase from 5 to 8 sound good to everyone?
Travis Bickle 03-28-2005 01:27 AM
"X days" won't be that effective because sometimes, the threads just stay quiet for a bit, and then the same people come back and post there after a few days or so.
Avenir 03-28-2005 01:52 AM
I'm all keen on the "once every X post" idea for the aforementioned threads, but I believe the picture thread is fine as it is for, as far as I cognize, the post limits and other regulations have been observed quite proficiently. Smile
Travis Bickle 03-28-2005 01:57 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Avenir
I'm all keen on the "once every X post" idea for the aforementioned threads, but I believe the picture thread is fine as it is and, as far as I cognize, the post limits have been observed quite proficiently. Smile

It gets quite redundant after a while. Increasing the post frequency number thingy (go technical terms!) would freshen it a bit.
The Fallen Phoenix 03-28-2005 02:58 AM
Increasing the pictues thread from five to eight sounds good to me, if for no other reason but to experiment for a while. After all, if it works, great, if not, simply go back to the old format. I do think it would improve the variety there, and that would be great.

As for Avatar/Signature threads, we can probably start getting variety there by first enforcing some other rules: for example, you cannot post a rating unless it is to rate the most recent poster, and only then if you have not rated that person's current avatar/signature before. That would be a good first step.

Once every few posts does sound good; we could try either five or eight like the picture thread and see how that goes.
Avenir 03-28-2005 03:17 AM
After some consideration, I am now all for the eight post frequency limit for the picture thread and I do see how it would introduce the thread to a wider variety of posters and types of pictures themselves. As The Fallen Phoenix said, if it works, great; if not, the old limit is readily available. I also concur with him completely on the avatar and signature rating threads.
evanASF27 03-28-2005 11:47 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
As for the picture thread, it doesn't seem to be that bad, but we could try an increase and see how it goes. Does an increase from 5 to 8 sound good to everyone?

Yah but the problem is enforcing it. Not to sound like a badguy here, but 2 or 3 people seem to be posting before the "5 post" mark in the picture thread. In the Neo-Speakeasy, I'm considering to lower the limit from 10 posts to around 7-8 posts (which I'll probably do next time the forums go down).

quote:
Originally posted by The Fallen Phoenix
As for Avatar/Signature threads, we can probably start getting variety there by first enforcing some other rules: for example, you cannot post a rating unless it is to rate the most recent poster, and only then if you have not rated that person's current avatar/signature before. That would be a good first step.

Yes indeed...I've had a couple of times my avatar rated by the same person(s) twice and I think (one time a while ago) thrice. Enforcing that rule would be a good first step....but let's not skip over the possibility of a limit/frequency. I mean currently there are 2-3 people that post quite alot on just one page ratings avatars (or recently used to). That's an easy ticket at the moment for increasing post count without doing something constructive (like post ideas in theory threads, or posting something useful in a thread with an actual "topic").
Mugiwara Luffy 03-28-2005 03:13 PM
Do people really care about how many posts they have? Are we in some type of competition? What's the prize?

Well, I guess it might a good idea...but it seems kinda stupid to me to use these threads just to increase post count.
Dude Love 03-28-2005 05:22 PM
I'm in full agreement with this idea. Diversity is always good.

quote:
Originally posted by The Fallen Phoenix

This is my biggest gripe in the "Rate the ___" threads. On several occasions, I've not had my avatar rated, and instead received "Since I've already rated Wienberg's avatar...". It's bothersome, as I am not getting the ratings I want. If you've already rated the avatar of the person who has most recently posted in the thread, then wait until someone whose avatar you have not rated posts.
Travis Bickle 04-07-2005 11:12 AM
Ok...so it's all agreed upon.

When would these "changes" take place?
Lady Tesser 04-07-2005 12:54 PM
My only concern would be in the fic threads where some stories take multiple entries to post (most of my stories are between 30-50,000 characters, which requires 3-6 posts to get it all up). I prefer to put them up sequencially(?) but that's near to impossible with almost a two hour wait time between posts.

Or would this suggestion be only in the Speakeasy threads?

*feels she missed the point entirely*
Travis Bickle 04-07-2005 12:56 PM
This is for the music threads, the Rate the XXXXX threads, and the picture threads....so...yeah
evanASF27 04-07-2005 02:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Tesser
My only concern would be in the fic threads where some stories take multiple entries to post (most of my stories are between 30-50,000 characters, which requires 3-6 posts to get it all up). I prefer to put them up sequencially(?) but that's near to impossible with almost a two hour wait time between posts.

Yah I mentioned that earlier here. Though I don't think anything has been done about it.
Krang 04-08-2005 01:51 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
Ok...so it's all agreed upon.

When would these "changes" take place?

For the picture thread, I set the new guideline, so we'll see how that goes. It seems there hasn't really been an agreed limit for the sig/avatar threads yet, but personally, I like FP's suggestion that people posting in those threads must rate the sig/avatar above them.

quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Tesser

Yah I mentioned that earlier here. Though I don't think anything has been done about it.

There are two ways around the limit. First, you could put the fic or megadeus description in a text file and attach it to the post. Or, you could ask another member to post "filler" posts in between your posts, then ask a moderator to delete them. As long as you inform a moderator, neither of you will get in trouble for spamming if you do this.
Mr. Fortnight 04-08-2005 02:11 AM
Okay, I'm confused. I have to wait a few posts in before posting again? In ANY thread or just for the spam prone threads like the Music/Pictures threads?

It would really suck in certain debates when you have to dig through several posts before finding what someone posted.
Dude Love 04-08-2005 02:16 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Minneapolis
Okay, I'm confused. I have to wait a few posts in before posting again? In ANY thread or just for the spam prone threads like the Music/Pictures threads?

It would really suck in certain debates when you have to dig through several posts before finding what someone posted.

Just specific threads. I believe it has only been instituted in the Picture's Thread, so far.
X Prime 04-08-2005 08:06 AM
quote:
There are two ways around the limit. First, you could put the fic or megadeus description in a text file and attach it to the post. Or, you could ask another member to post "filler" posts in between your posts, then ask a moderator to delete them. As long as you inform a moderator, neither of you will get in trouble for spamming if you do this.

People are strangely abberant to the file attaching suggestion. Lord only knows why.
evanASF27 04-08-2005 11:53 AM
quote:
Originally posted by X Prime
quote:

People are strangely abberant to the file attaching suggestion. Lord only knows why.

Oh...okay so we didn't realyl explain ourselves in that thread in the MFL enough huh X Prime? Oh Well

Personally, it's easier (and more "pleasant") to read them in the posts. There is nothing so desperately in need of "reorganizing" in the Megadeus Profile thread (since this is where it came up before) to have to change them all into txt or html files. Aside from a seemingly "a little too long" rest period between posts (we can afford to decrease it by 20 minutes to 60min), the only other reason for converting everything to that would be disorganization...but there is even little of that. And furthermore...I don't have the space to attach more files here Roll Eyes
X Prime 04-08-2005 12:17 PM
I never said it was NEEDED, I said it makes complete and total sense. And it does despite your objections. An increase in organization, a decrease in thread loading time, and a decrease in MySQL usage are all good things that can be achieved for practically rock-bottom effort. In fact, I'm going to be doing it soon myself, as it would make it easier for FP to archive everything on top of all that.

As for your disk quota being exceeded... Whose fault is that? Delete old files in dead threads. My Megadeus profiles are far bigger than yours, and only add up to just over 200 KB as of now. I'd be overstating it if I said yours were half that.