Episode 20 Discussion: "Soul of the Guardian"

Shredder 03-26-2005 10:17 PM
Tonight's episode continues the 5th Lab mini-arc! Enjoy the show! Happy
Ban Mido 03-26-2005 11:05 PM
LMAO!

Armor: *The leg of the armor twitches a few times.*
Ed: "There wouldn't be a third brother perchance would there?"
2nd Brother: "No...."

The younger brother in the swordsman's armor was the funniest of the duo...Its funny to see the upper half of an armor set flail its arms around preaching about death.
Sephiroth 03-26-2005 11:05 PM
Wow, that was a great episode. The battle against Slicer was awesome, and the battle against Barry was actually pretty amusing. Barry is still as crazy as ever. However, I hated how he started playing with Al's mind near the end. At first it really seemed as if Barry was in the show for comic relief alone, but towards the end, it was apparent that even he had a revelation that would impact the story. At the same time Barry was telling Al his life was a lie, Ed was trying to justify the Slicer brother's lives, ironic no? In the manga, Ed didn't do as well against Slicer (of which there was only one). Instead
spoiler (highlight to read):
He recieved some help from Envy, Lust, and Gluttony
. I really can't wait until the next episode, as I can't wait for Barry to get his just deserts
thought he doesn't die, he becomes a major annoyance for Hawkeye and the military later on
Plus those eyes are heralding the return of,
not only my favorite homunculi, but an old "friend" as well. I'd say who, but that would totally spoil it
Also, did anyone else notice, that when Armstrong was angry about not being told Ed and Al's location, he got those same pink stars around his head that he gets when he shows off his muscles and techniques? Wierd guy that Armstrong.
Green_Bird 03-26-2005 11:28 PM
"There wouldn't be a third brother perchance would there?"

"Shut up and rust!"

This episode was a good one for quotes Tongue ...

I Can't wait for the next episode ^_^ . This one was better then the last!
angelcakes 03-26-2005 11:44 PM
"Why do I always get the crazy ones?"

Twas indeed a good quotable episode. Big Grin

Poor Al, stupid Barry's messing with his mind. Older brother better be ready to convince him it's not true. So other people are using the blood seal. You know what they say, imitation is the sinceriest form of flattery...
Big Waddle Inferno 03-27-2005 01:19 AM
FUNimation massacred all the emotion in tonight's episode with their subpar dub. It was improving, too. Frown
Ano Hito 03-27-2005 01:35 PM
I thought it was okay.

Nice episode. I like how deep and profound it gets without sounding preachy like other anime that attempt the same thing.
evanASF27 03-27-2005 01:51 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ano Hito
I thought it was okay.

Nice episode. I like how deep and profound it gets without sounding preachy like other anime that attempt the same thing.

Yah I know what cha mean.

Though I think it's just down right WRONG to twist Al around like that...that's just sick even for a serialkiller.
Raven 03-27-2005 04:11 PM
I found the Episode quite funny. It has made me a fan of Barry the Chopper. Anyone who hurts Al in any way gets a thumbs up in my book. It was cool to see Ed pull out a page from Scars book as well.
Gummibear 03-27-2005 05:57 PM
All I can say is...poor Al. Frown It was a very good episode....I was actually pretty surprised.
Ano Hito 03-27-2005 06:24 PM
The name "Barry the Chopper" sounds so ridiculous you know the character it belongs to must be awesome.
AlexRosewater 03-27-2005 08:04 PM
I liked both of those fights since it was really nicly played out with comedy in the middle. I like how Ed skipped stage 2 and took a page out of Scar's book of blowing off armor like that.
Instro 03-27-2005 10:30 PM
Am writing late on Easter Sunday. Didn't get to see this episode yet, because I was at my parents' house last night and Dad wanted to see a lot of the featurettes on the Bambi DVD. (Oy vey! The things we do to keep our parents happy! Then again, it is his TV...)

Will watch the replay this Thursday and report back then. Smile
Chaoz 03-28-2005 11:21 AM
Episode 20 was pretty decent but I didn't really like the end at all. But I did like the fight between Ed and the other guardians.
Madrona 03-28-2005 12:35 PM
quote:
Originally posted by AlexRosewater
I liked both of those fights since it was really nicly played out with comedy in the middle. I like how Ed skipped stage 2 and took a page out of Scar's book of blowing off armor like that.

Well, he actually stopped at step two. It's analyze, deconstruct and reconstruct. He stopped at the deconstruction. But yes, Edward sure knows how to think on his feet. Well, more like and cornered animal. Ed, going down with out a fight? Not likely.

The cliff hanging endings really bug me. But yes, I know that's how story arcs work. Doesn't mean I have to like it! Wink

Oh! I really want to see how they resolve this thing between Ed and Al.

Madrona
BabyGhia 03-30-2005 01:46 PM
Very quotable episode. Loved the part where Ed asked about a third brother. And yes, with Al and Why do I always get the crazy one?

Nice to see a little action. Kind of a change. But it was interesting to see what thoughts Ed and Al both got from their fights. Ed knowing for sure his brother was still alive. And Al really questioning his. Barry and his mind games.

Seriously can't wait until the next one. I hate cliffhangers like that.

BabyGhia
Captain Maw 04-01-2005 12:12 AM
Phew, just came back from watching it. well, why would Al believe Barry, when he has been Ed's brother for a long time and trusts him and stuff. Also, there is so much shouting evidence that they're brothers and have been. It's the "Big Lie" theory that if a lie is big enough and said a lot, ppl believe it, (new to fma, only watched a few eps. since friend forced me to)
Instro 04-01-2005 10:41 AM
OK, finally saw Episode 20 last night (March 31). WOW! That was the best episode yet, especially if you love great fighting action. It had all the ingredients of great anime: terror, comedy, quotable dialogue, battles, and mystery.

Especially in terms of mystery. Does "executed" mean that Slicer and Barry didn't "die" as humans normally do, but rather lost their bodies to the ether when alchemy was performed with the Philosopher's Stone?

And while it fits with Barry's twisted personality to mess with people's heads for the fun of it, is he implying that not unlike the world of Paradigm City, that all the players exist only in a game or another dimension of some sort?

FMA just keeps getting better and better...
Madrona 04-01-2005 10:49 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Maw
Phew, just came back from watching it. well, why would Al believe Barry, when he has been Ed's brother for a long time and trusts him and stuff. Also, there is so much shouting evidence that they're brothers and have been. It's the "Big Lie" theory that if a lie is big enough and said a lot, ppl believe it, (new to fma, only watched a few eps. since friend forced me to)

Yes, that's right. The trust between Ed and Al is unmatched. Al is probably still wondering what it is Ed has to say, as shown in the flashback. When Ed was trying to tell Al his big secret, they were both pretty beat up. Al was having problems. He thought something was wrong with himself. So, now that his physical being is back to normal, the insides are still a little twisted. Whatever it was that was bugging Al is still there. #66( Barry) is just pushing a button.

A little more since I watched it again Wink

The exchange between Armstrong and Ross and Bloch indicates what kind of persons they each are. Ross is willing to stand up and do the right thing, even if that means standing up to Armstrong. I noticed he wasn't black faced and angry, just determined. Bloch means well, he's justa little ... uncertain?
In anycase, I'm looking forward to the next episode...as always Big Grin

Madrona
Zopwx2 04-01-2005 12:53 PM
This was an interesting episode. Alot the humor in between the serious moments was done without sterotypical anime overacting and such, which makes me wonder if the show would have been better or worse if it was done in a more serious tone with a differnt animation style an such.

So someone is using death row inmates to create p-stones then binding their souls to suits of armour......

Anyway the 2 brothers in one suit twist was pretty good, but what interested me was the possiblity that Ed could have faked Al's memories.

I seriously doubt thats what happend, but it would be an interesting twist.

In addition the suit bros. brought up an interesting question on whether or not a sould transfer meant someone was still alive.