[Suggestion] A pinned topic for "I'm leaving" posts...

Jonny Axehandle 03-26-2005 09:59 PM

what my title wasn't enough?
Krang 03-26-2005 10:20 PM
Sorry, but as I said last time, I don't want to encourage threads like that.
Jonny Axehandle 03-27-2005 07:21 PM
But a single topic would eliminate all of them.
evanASF27 03-27-2005 07:26 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jonny Neko

yes...however I think what Krang means is that it shows that people are leaving, and that because we have a thread showing that, it might somehow encourage others to do the melo-dramatic "I"M LEAVING!!!!1" type jazz...if you get my drift.
Zopwx2 03-27-2005 10:05 PM
If anything there should be a rule that allows mods to lock those threads on sight.

If you're leaving: shut up and go away, no need for melodrama.
Dude Love 03-27-2005 10:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zopwx2
If anything there should be a rule that allows mods to lock those threads on sight.

If you're leaving: shut up and go away, no need for melodrama.

Agreed, especially since generally people end up deciding to stay within 72 hours.

Plus, if you asked me, I would say going quietly is a much more dignified way than making a huge fuss over it. The fuss just seems unnecessary to me. If you plan to leave, then just tell a couple of people you're pals with and then walk away.

However, no one takes this route, and as such all the threads become "Hey everybody! I don't like it here. Make me feel like I'm wanted and how things are going to be awful without me." Sure, it helps with member retention, but all it does is attract attention to the person who's temporarily disgruntled.
Krang 03-28-2005 01:04 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Jonny Neko

It wouldn't eliminate them at all, it would only increase their frequency. If there is a sticky thread about it, it will do two things. First, it will cause some people to think that we endorse that type of post, when we actually discourage it. Second, it will provide people with an easy place to post their post rather than requiring them to start their own thread about it (which takes more of a commitment, meaning they would have more time to reconsider their decision). I'd say those negative aspects far outweigh any positive aspects that a thread like that could bring.