Favorite Eddie Murphy movie.

NightRanger 03-25-2005 07:42 PM
I think we all know that Eddie Murphy is one of the best actors to grace the big screen, AND the genre of comedy. I think my fav. is either "Beverly Hills Cop" or "Coming To America".
Mike 03-25-2005 07:51 PM
Eddie Murphy was good in the 80s. Lately though...

I'm just going to let Pluto Nash speak for itself.

I didn't think Doctor Doolittle was all that funny, either.
Big Money 03-25-2005 09:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by GAT-X105

Dude... Pluto Nash rocked...

I mean way sucked. Yeah. Thats what I mean.

I'd swear in court that I'm one of only five people that saw that movie...

As for the poll, I can't decide Big Grin ... Eddy Murphy is just too awesome...

Haunted Mansion was le suck though.
StevieV019 03-26-2005 11:52 AM
quote:
Originally posted by GAT-X105

You're forgetting about Bowfinger as well, GAT. That was horrendous as well. Eddie Murphy, while legendary, is losing some luster. The last real movie I enjoyed of his was his movie with Owen Wilson, I forget the name. But even that was kinda cheesy. Oh well...hopefully he'll end his career gracefully. Still love his stuff from the 80's. Beverly Hills Cop I and II were great, the third one was average, and the 48 Hours movies were great.
Travis Bickle 03-26-2005 12:02 PM
I wouldn't say he's one of the best actors to grace the screen. I'd just say he's a funny guy. His old stand up is amazing, and Coming to America is probobly his best film.
Lady Tesser 03-26-2005 12:23 PM
I always found his supporting roles to be better than his starring roles.
[Nataku] 04-13-2005 10:23 PM
My favorite is "Bowfinger", But It's not up there so I chose Coming To America. Both are classics.
BethMcBeth 04-14-2005 03:25 AM
Hmm I think the only movie of those that I have seen all of is the Dr. Doolittle one. It was alright hes funny, I think I was paying more attention to the tiger though. ^_~"

-Beth
Captain Maw 04-14-2005 08:28 PM
i'd say Coming to America, Dr.Dolittle, etc. also, he had a voice appearance in Shrek as the donkey... and lots of stuff. Eddie Murphy, he's a pretty good actor...
Christina Perry 02-21-2006 08:37 AM
My favorite Eddie Murphy movie was...

Daddy Day Care and man, this is funny!
Sharpshooter005 02-21-2006 01:55 PM
Would "Delirious" count as a movie per se since it was really his stand-up act? Same with Raw.

Three way tie between coming to america, 48 hours, and trading places.

EDIT: Er..Beverley Hills Cop also I suppose.

quote:
You're forgetting about Bowfinger as well, GAT. That was horrendous as well. Eddie Murphy, while legendary, is losing some luster.

Haven't seen Bowfinger, but...Steve Martin was in that right?

Yet another one whos losing a great deal of luster.
Nine Kuze 02-21-2006 02:01 PM
I usually have the train of thought that Eddie Murphy's movies suck, and I'm sticking by this notion. Pluto Nash, The Haunted Mansion, Doctor Dolittle, Daddy Dar Care...

Ugh, you get the idea.

Anyway, I voted for "Harlem Nights", that's one of my favorite movies but Coming to American and Beverly Hills Cop was probably one of his best movies.
Peace.
Sharpshooter005 02-24-2006 01:33 AM
So basically what I'm getting from this is...somewhere around Pluto Nash, he sort of imploded.

Also apparently that movie had been planned on one level or another since the '80s. And eventually wound up being a $100 million dollar flop. Part of me would just..really love to see some kind of timeline detailing exactly how it got there.

edit: To be technical though, IMDB says the script was written in '85 and the movie finished shooting in '99 or '00 but was shelved. Either way though.
Randolph 02-25-2006 12:33 PM
I've never watched much of Eddie Murphy's material.
However, what little I did see was pretty mediocre.

I know it's not fair to judge him on so little, but combining that with the
general consensus seems to yield a relatively low opinion of his body of work.

Maybe he's got some good films under his belt, maybe even a classic or two.
I'm just not interested enough to pursue them.