Episode 18 Discussion: "Marcoh's Notes"

Shredder 03-12-2005 10:25 PM
It's almost time for ep. 18 of FMA! There's some interesting new information revealed...enjoy!
nathjan 03-12-2005 10:44 PM
opps forgot to make the thread, oh well. thanks for making the thread Shedder. Enjoy the episode
Sephiroth 03-12-2005 11:04 PM
Wow, what an awesome episode. The fight between Lust, Gluttony and Scar was cool. Plus, we got to see a little bit of "Lust's" past, its pretty obvious that she has some connection to Scar. Also, we found out the truth behind the Philosopher's stone. Much like soylent green, ITS MADE OUT OF PEOPLE! However, don't start thinking we are done with the stone. It has a much more insidious past surronding it, and a lot of important things will happen as a result of those.
I'm sorry, but I just can't contain myself, I have to insert a spoiler here,
spoiler (highlight to read):
one of those "things" I was talking about is my friend and yours...Greed

Anyway, I was glad to see Hughes again, as he is definatly one of my favorite characters. His talk with Roy was hilarious. "She's going to be an opera singer!"

Finally, did anyone notice the connection between Ed and Scar at the end. "It's a gift from my brother, so I never forget." Much like the reminder Ed has carved in his watch. Interesting way of showing that Scar and Ed are not that different.
evanASF27 03-12-2005 11:04 PM
holy crap....Ed really stumbled upon the most horrifiying secret didn't he o_o

...good god...
Green_Bird 03-12-2005 11:09 PM
Am I the only one thinking Scieszka = Yomiko here? I mean it doesn't matter I'm just saying that they act alike. I guess bookworms are a staple in anime.... Another great episode. But Acording to the FMA LJ community. they messed up on the dub (Broche/Brosh turned into Block). But still it was good...having never seen the subbed verson though.

I kind of made the conection of lust and the girl through the past Scar flashbacks and pictures....I pick up on things like that....
Negotiator_Roger_Smith 03-12-2005 11:11 PM
that sercert in the book! reminders of that twilight zone espoide with the "to serve man" book/cookbook!
Wingnut 03-12-2005 11:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Green_Bird
Am I the only one thinking Scieszka = Yomiko here? I mean it doesn't matter I'm just saying that they act alike. I guess book geeks are a staple in anime.... Another great episode. But Acording to the FMA LJ community. they messed up on the dub (Broche/Brosh turned into Block). But still it was good...having never seen the subbed verson though.

I kind of made the conection of lust and the girl through the past Scar flashbacks and pictures....I pick up on things like that....

I was think ing the same thing. This girl is more wacked when it comes to books that Yomiko Readman. Although like Yomiko her talents have come in handy for the Elrics.
The phone conversation between Mustang and Huges was priceless. "Is there any way to send a flame burst down a phone line and roast the other persons ear?" " I don't know sir. I'll have my men look into it right away." Mabye he'll have more that just a second thought about her the next time he looks at Hawkeye, now that Huges told him that he needs to get a wife. Sweatdrop
Hey, I can dream can't I?
Raven 03-13-2005 12:10 AM
I am sensing a real Sango/Miroku thing going on with Hawkeye and Mustang...

Well anyway, was a cool episode with a nice fight scene. I don't know about any of you, but I am personally waiting to see that nosey guard with Ed and Al get hers...
Veemon 03-13-2005 02:08 AM
One: SOYLENT PHILOSPHERS IS PEOPLE! *squished by Bug Fau for the already-made bad joke*
Two:
spoiler (highlight to read):
That guy and the girl that looks like Lust are Scar's brother and the girlfriend of Scar's brother. She died. Scar's brother tried to bring her back like the Elrics did, but he screwed up, lost his nads, and made the Homnuclus Lust. Homnculi are soulless humans created as byproducts of Human Alchemy. They always look like whoever was supposed to be revived by the ALchemy that created them, and can not perform Alchemy, because they have no soul, but they each have a special power(Lust's fingernails, Gluttony's eating powers). Thier goal is to see a true Philosopher's stone created, which will make them fully human.
Ano Hito 03-13-2005 08:23 AM
Am I the only one who thought that the male gaurd beared a resemblance to Ed? The hairstyle is generic, sure, but I didn't think they'd put two characters who looked almost the same in such proximity to each other.
Zopwx2 03-13-2005 02:07 PM
Interesting we learned that philospher stones need live humans to work.

Lust has some connection to scar... ishballan?

But its possible she took the form of that girl since we've seen greed (?) talk about choosing that form.

And it turns out their the Herculayans? Sounds vaguely important.

Only problem I have so far, is that FMA does a little too much hinting but still makes us wait.
evanASF27 03-13-2005 04:15 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Seebach: [Zopwx2]

Umm I think they said something along the lines of "homunculi"...I KNOW I spelled that wrong. >_<
NVWC2006 03-13-2005 04:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Wingnut
quote:
Originally posted by Green_Bird
Am I the only one thinking Scieszka = Yomiko here? I mean it doesn't matter I'm just saying that they act alike. I guess book geeks are a staple in anime.... Another great episode. But Acording to the FMA LJ community. they messed up on the dub (Broche/Brosh turned into Block). But still it was good...having never seen the subbed verson though.

I was think ing the same thing. This girl is more wacked when it comes to books that Yomiko Readman. Although like Yomiko her talents have come in handy for the Elrics.
The phone conversation between Mustang and Huges was priceless. "Is there any way to send a flame burst down a phone line and roast the other persons ear?" " I don't know sir. I'll have my men look into it right away." Mabye he'll have more that just a second thought about her the next time he looks at Hawkeye, now that Huges told him that he needs to get a wife. Sweatdrop
Hey, I can dream can't I?

That's exactly what I thought when I first saw that Scieszka girl...the glasses, the apartment full of books, I thought she was Yomiko, I half expected her to have some sort of paper-alchemic power.

I also thought the phone conversation was great, Mustang usually seems like the serious guy yet Huges can still put an anime putfall on him... I guess everyone in the military thinks that of our favorite non-Elric duo.

Well the Philosopher's Stone as part of equivilant exchange should be able to help people's lives..only by taking someone elses, I guess. That's where the equation for how the Elric's lost their body parts works... THEY actually had the key ingrediant to the stone...themselves, but not everything else, without realizing it. So instead, the whole thing failed but still took it's toll.
Or maybe I got it all wrong... Still, good episode, I liked seeing Gluttony's arm get blown off, I was like "GO SCAR!!!"
AlexRosewater 03-13-2005 05:57 PM
It was clever to have Marcoh's notes disguise as a regular cookbook but still a little shock since it needed a Human for the stone. But the phone conversation was classic in my opinion....
Veemon 03-14-2005 12:18 AM
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Seebach: [Zopwx2]

Umm I think they said something along the lines of "homunculi"...I KNOW I spelled that wrong. >_<

Nah, you spelled it right, and that's what Scar said.
Jane 03-14-2005 05:02 PM
quote:
Am I the only one who thought that the male gaurd beared a resemblance to Ed? The hairstyle is generic, sure, but I didn't think they'd put two characters who looked almost the same in such proximity to each other.

I was thinking that too!

Also, I just realized during this episode that Hughes V.A. is the same as Becks. Once I caught on to that, I almost expected him to start clapping his feet while he was talking about his daughter.

It's also interesting to see how Mustang seems to use everything to his political advantage. It makes me wonder what he expects to gain by giving Ed and Al so much freedom to follow their own agenda.

This episode also made me like Scar--well, sort of like Scar. He's still a hipocritical murderer that uses religion to excuse his violence. But seeing him take on Lust and Gluttony made me cheer.
Gummibear 03-14-2005 05:07 PM
^.^ Hehe...I thought Scieszka was a very cute character...even though she is quite a bit like Yomiko I find her talent to be very unique...I'd love to have a photographic memory when I'm taking a test. I like her personality, it's a contrast from Winry who is more of a mechanical, take things apart put them back together again person...

I have a new favorite character it seems!

Moving on...

I LOVE Hughes! I was dying when he told Mustang to get himself a wife.
Madrona 03-14-2005 05:38 PM
Well, lets see.

While I think Hughes is truly in love with his little girl, I think he uses calling Roy about that as a ruse to hide what he was really calling for. Hughes is quite loyal to Mustang. Hughes is also one of the few people who can talk back to him (Hawkeye being the other ) and get away with it. He's not just a subordinate, he's a friend.

Hughes ( and Mustang) have figured out that it's easier to see what Ed and Al will come up with on their own rather than keeping them on a leash. After her little chat with Hughes, I think Lt. Ross knows this too.

I'm not going to comment on the Philosopher's Stone just yet...there is more to come. Wink

Lust is really scary when she's going after someone isn't she?

As always, looking forward to the next episode.

Madrona
Raven 03-14-2005 06:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jane
Also, I just realized during this episode that Hughes V.A. is the same as Becks. Once I caught on to that, I almost expected him to start clapping his feet while he was talking about his daughter.

Actually it is not the same person. Beck's VA is a guy by the name of Bob Buchholz. He also does many other voices such as Gene Starwind from Outlaw Star and various characters from Xenosaga. However, Hughs does not happen to be one of these characters. Not that I know a lot about Big O or anything, I just recognize the voice.
Green_Bird 03-14-2005 06:19 PM
Yeah, Sonny Strait does Hughes. He also did Lupin (FUNi Dubs) and Krilin on DBZ believe it or not....