Missing pieces of Act 26 (spoilers, no doubt)

Dork 03-17-2005 05:30 PM
It's just a matter of perspective. Angel's farther back, so over all she's drawn smaller than Dorothy. As for the style; they both seem to be drawn in the same stylisitic manner that they were on the season two DVD covers.

The really weird things about the image of them as seen in the episode is Dorothy's hand (which looks a lot like the style on the DVD covers) and Angel's obcessive blinking.

And from that bit of text from Konaka that Krang translated (thank you!) assuming that Dorothy could be human is a valid interpretation of that scene. Though I still think it would be a cheap trick and a hateful thing to turn her human, afterall she's never shown any desire to be a flesh and blood human while we've gotten all indication that Dorothy just as herself android and all is just as human as Roger or Angel or any of the other human characters. Besides I love her in part, and I know a lot of people do too, because she is an android.

muchlove
-Dork
A Clockwork Tomato 03-17-2005 05:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dork
And from that bit of text from Konaka that Krang translated (thank you!) assuming that Dorothy could be human is a valid interpretation of that scene.

No, I'm sure that the reason Angel blinks and Dorothy doesn't is to cue us into the fact that Dorothy is still R. Dorothy. Also, she's still paler than the human Dorothy and her eyes are still black instead of violet.
Dork 03-17-2005 06:02 PM
quote:
Originally posted by A Clockwork Tomato
quote:
And from that bit of text from Konaka that Krang translated (thank you!) assuming that Dorothy could be human is a valid interpretation of that scene.

No, I'm sure that the reason Angel blinks and Dorothy doesn't is to cue us into the fact that Dorothy is still R. Dorothy. Also, she's still paler than the human Dorothy and her eyes are still black instead of violet.

I never thought for a moment Dorothy could be human, besides that the idea is incredibly distasteful and would negate much of her wonderful progressive as a person.

But the quote from Konaka that Krang translated says "Furthermore, because it is unknown whether the now rescued Dorothy is an android or a human, the ending allowed a width of interpretation." Which means I now can't attack people when they suggest that Dorothy has become human.

It really pisses me off though. Sorry for the language but it does, I love Dorothy the way she is. She's made all this wonderful progress from the sad scared little doll we met in act 1. She has emotions, she's learning to manage them (it's something we all learn to do as children and we all continue to do even as we grow older), she has freewill, she has the love of the man she loves, she's never shown any desire to be a flesh and blood human so what could possibly be gained by being flesh and blood? Aside from the ability to reproduce and an expanded palate.

::walks away grumbling to herself::

notfeelingthelove
-Dork
R and D 03-17-2005 06:08 PM
curse adult swim and their evil ways! Mad

a lot of things could be answer. one wonders y AS has to go the long route. AS could have avoided all this propoganda from us if we had gotten our answers answered! Mad
Krang 03-17-2005 11:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zopwx2
Thanks Krang

If my scenario came to be? So does this mean he didn't get to choose the ending he wanted?

The "if my scenario came to be" part was actually a little tough to translate (the literal translation is "if/when this becomes a scenario," but from the context it seems like that's what he meant), but the first part clearly says "but it did not go according to my scenario," so it does sound like the ending was changed from what he had planned.

quote:
Is there anything else of interest?

I do have one more quote from Katayama and something that looks like a dialog change, but they're not quite as significant. Once I have time, I'll translate them also.

quote:
It really pisses me off though. Sorry for the language but it does, I love Dorothy the way she is. She's made all this wonderful progress from the sad scared little doll we met in act 1. She has emotions, she's learning to manage them (it's something we all learn to do as children and we all continue to do even as we grow older), she has freewill, she has the love of the man she loves, she's never shown any desire to be a flesh and blood human so what could possibly be gained by being flesh and blood? Aside from the ability to reproduce and an expanded palate.

Actually, Konaka is referring to his own scenario, not what actually aired. So in the AS version, Dorothy is clearly still an android, but Konaka's ending scenario would have made it so that the viewer would be unable to tell.
BabyGhia 03-18-2005 12:14 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Fujiko
It's simple: Dorothy is just standing a few feet ahead of Angel, making her seem taller.

Actually, I like to say that Dorothy is standing on a soap box myself.

I have thought about the perspectives. Getting Dorothy that much taller than Angel?

Oh well. It might not be that important. And who knows that if in Season three they continue with that height difference anyway. Just something I noticed and ponder occasionally.

And I'm glad that Dorothy is still an android. Changing her into a human would be wrong. Although if they made Dorothy human and Angel into an android... hmmm... that might be interesting.

BabyGhia
Captain Maw 03-21-2005 12:27 AM
what is this? Bicentennial Man??? machine to man takes quite a process, if its even possible. if she turned into a human in, like 5 minutes, i would be shocked at how odd that would be. not to mention the entire character of Dorothy is different because she's a machine with some human like qualities. Dorothy is an android, a very human-like android, who's come to a major epiphany. but still an android.
Pythagoras 03-21-2005 02:44 AM
Thanks, Krang, for the two translations. Here's what I'm wondering:

In the little snippet from Konaka, it seems to me that his belief that "If my scenario came to be, Angel is Roger's assistant completely" is reflected in the companion script.

The way I see it, the reasons why his vision was not implented in the TV version of Act 26 is any or all of the following: the director of the show (or someone else above Konaka) didn't like it and took it out, not enough time left in episode, AS didn't like it (wanted more of a loop ending in case they didn't do a 3rd season?)
Sixfortyfive 03-30-2005 06:24 PM
I hate to bump an old topic, but a thought just occured to me. Anybody wanna do a search for some OCR software that can read text from images? I don't have a scanner handy, and I haven't played around with programs like this yet, but it might be worthwhile for somebody to scan parts of the companion book, convert them to text files with an OCR program, and try to hack a Babelfish translation out of it. A Google search for "Kanji OCR" brings up a number of hits. Worth a shot?
Generalissimo D 03-30-2005 07:00 PM
I would love too. Unfortunately I lack the companion book...Good idea though. an A for effort. Wink
StevieV019 03-30-2005 07:39 PM
Interesting stuff...I think Ill try and jump in to perhaps shed a little light on things...

quote:
However, what they showed is significant. The ending Krang translated implies that Roger and Angel remember but no one else does. The ending they actually showed implies that Roger, Angel, AND Dorothy remember, since Roger drove by Angel and Dorothy, and Dorothy was wearing her Smith Manor dress. (You'll recall that Dorothy didn't get that dress until Act 2, Angel wasn't introduced until Act 3, and Dorothy didn't meet Angel until Act 15.)

I have to slightly disagree here in regard to the ending Krang translated. I think Dorothy's quote "...You're the negotiator?" can be interpretted as if she were expecting someone else but then saw some familiarity in Roger Smith. Perhaps a stretch...but even so, thats what I interpretted when I read Krang's translation.

As for the drawing of Angel and Dorothy on the street corner at the end of Act 26. Look at the shadow cast on Angel, its at an angle that coincides with Dorothy standing slightly in front and to the left of Angel, with Angel being closer to the building. That lends me to believe that Angel wasnt drawn differently or transposed onto the scene at the last minute.

The curtain dropping and the stage lights lowering is an enigmatic twist.
Krang 03-30-2005 10:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sixfortyfive
I hate to bump an old topic, but a thought just occured to me. Anybody wanna do a search for some OCR software that can read text from images? I don't have a scanner handy, and I haven't played around with programs like this yet, but it might be worthwhile for somebody to scan parts of the companion book, convert them to text files with an OCR program, and try to hack a Babelfish translation out of it. A Google search for "Kanji OCR" brings up a number of hits. Worth a shot?

Good idea! Unfortunately, I don't have a working scanner either, but I could help take a look and see what kind of programs are available. It's been a long time since I've used an OCR program, but maybe R.Smith's scans would work (unless the OCR program requires a specific format or resolution).
Roger_Smith 01-30-2006 05:31 AM
The original ending was judgind too "conclusive" so they scrapped it and turn it to the end that we know all(Roger in his car and angel/dorothy in the road).

PS:I'm new and sorry for my english Big Grin
Spacemeat 02-01-2006 01:53 AM
hmm i have to say i find this all informative

i just got done watching all 26 ep and well i have nto the smallest clue and i am
compleatly lost

but the other ending to me would have made more of a end point thent he one we get

but oh well how am i but so nut who watch way to many shows at one time

and sorry about the spelling
AnIm@ster 02-02-2006 05:56 AM
cool and good job