Missing pieces of Act 26 (spoilers, no doubt)

Dork 03-13-2005 10:32 AM
Thanks for the translation, Krang.

It feels a lot more like a cliff-hanger than the driving scene did. I'm not so sure that Roger completely rememebers what happened, or that Dorothy's completely forgotten. At the beginning of the scene he knows what's happened, but then the notes say he snaps back into his role. What I'm wondering is how far back into that role? He's surprised to see Dorothy. There's a stronger sense of recognition from both of them from what was in the first act, but I can't tell if Roger really remembers her or not.

On a character level I don't know what to make of it. So much of the dialogue on this show is very dependant on actor intonation. Eh, but I suppose the point is that we're not suppose to be able to figure out what's going on.

muchlove
-Dork
pen1300 03-13-2005 11:10 AM
Hm...this new scene seems interesting...yet not. Why didn't they give this to us? Eh.

I'm not sure I like it. It kind of gives you the same impression that no one remembers and again, you have a cyclic ending, only slighlty before the whole 'driving scene.' It still also seems like a cliff-hanger again.

Thanks for the translation. I'll have to think this over a little...

Later,
Pen1300
Mike 03-13-2005 12:25 PM
It almost seems to set up a 3rd season to me.

Maybe the first episode of season 3 (if this scene had been put in, and the show continued to a season 3) would play out much like season 1, episode 1, but at some point Roger would realize the whole cycle thing. That would lead to him, Dorothy, Angel and Beck figuring out the whole works through the course of the season.
IanC 03-13-2005 12:49 PM
Wow. Thats... so much "different" to the current ending. Im not really sure which one i like better though.

As GAT says, it does feel like its setting up for a 3rd season more.
Zopwx2 03-13-2005 01:58 PM
Whoa this is kind of odd....

Its definately similair to the opening scene of act 1, but a bunch of huge differences...

Obviously Roger remembers angel, but beck is the same and so is dastun ( who wasn't there the first time).

Now I can't tell if roger or dorothy remember each other, or its just a gut feelings.

That would be really sneaky of angel to erase their memories of eachother and then inject herself into roger's life.

..and the curtain, boy thats heavy..... I don't know.

What do you guys make of it.

I would have prefered this ending than roger just driving by.
Tickle Tickle 03-13-2005 02:19 PM
You know, in a way I don't really see this too much as a 'opening to a third season'. It seems more of a 'what the viewer decides' kinda thing. Lots of different angles at it, much like the Devilman Lady's ending. (also done by Chiaki J. Konaka)
Big Money 03-13-2005 02:59 PM
That would have provided some closure... So I'd say it would be safe to assume the whole "Adult Swim told them to change it" thing...
A Clockwork Tomato 03-13-2005 05:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Big Money
That would have provided some closure... So I'd say it would be safe to assume the whole "Adult Swim told them to change it" thing...

No, Adult Swim asked for an option on a third season. With a possible third season, ending Season 2 by wrapping around to Episode 1 and dropping the curtain in the series would have been madness. It's pretty much a denial of the possibility of future seasons. So they left it more open-ended than that. I doubt Adult Swim told them anything. It's the sort of thing the folks at Sunrise could be counted on to do in their own self-interest.

However, what they showed is significant. The ending Krang translated implies that Roger and Angel remember but no one else does. The ending they actually showed implies that Roger, Angel, AND Dorothy remember, since Roger drove by Angel and Dorothy, and Dorothy was wearing her Smith Manor dress. (You'll recall that Dorothy didn't get that dress until Act 2, Angel wasn't introduced until Act 3, and Dorothy didn't meet Angel until Act 15.)
BabyGhia 03-13-2005 07:24 PM
I agree, that would have been a better "ending" than the one we did get. Is more like a cliffhanger.

Really makes you think. I'm not really sure what I think about all of that yet. Having Angel there. Having Dastun rush in and arrest Beck before he could kill Wayneright. The ways that would change the storyline. Though having Wayneright being alive wouldn't play with the ending we did get with Dorothy in her Smith Mansion Black outfit. And then what would happen to Dorothy 1? Just brings up even more questions when I start pondering that ending.

Thanks, Krang, for translating that.

Too bad I don't really write that often. I feel a fanfic coming on. But I already have another one that I should try to rehash and finish one of these days.

BabyGhia
Big Money 03-13-2005 07:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by A Clockwork Tomato
quote:
Originally posted by Big Money

No, Adult Swim asked for an option on a third season. With a possible third season, ending Season 2 by wrapping around to Episode 1 and dropping the curtain in the series would have been madness. It's pretty much a denial of the possibility of future seasons. So they left it more open-ended than that. I doubt Adult Swim told them anything. It's the sort of thing the folks at Sunrise could be counted on to do in their own self-interest.

However, what they showed is significant. The ending Krang translated implies that Roger and Angel remember but no one else does. The ending they actually showed implies that Roger, Angel, AND Dorothy remember, since Roger drove by Angel and Dorothy, and Dorothy was wearing her Smith Manor dress. (You'll recall that Dorothy didn't get that dress until Act 2, Angel wasn't introduced until Act 3, and Dorothy didn't meet Angel until Act 15.)

Sorry, that was unclear. I heard from somebody on this forum (can't... remember...) that the creaters had a more definate ending in mind, but they were told by Adult Swim to change it because they still had the option for more seasons, and didn't wan't to burn a bridge...
Krang 03-13-2005 11:27 PM
I didn't have time to translate this yesterday, but here's a quote from Konaka which comments on the ending that aired on AS and explains his own ending scenario further:

"But it did not go according to my scenario. However, due to the fact that a scene where Dorothy and Angel lined up is shown, it is obviously not a repitition of Episode 1. If my scenario came to be, Angel is Roger's assistant completely. * Furthermore, because it is unknown whether the now rescued Dorothy is an android or a human, the ending allowed a width of interpretation."

* "Completely" could also be translated as "perfectly," but both of them seem a little awkward in the sentence...
BabyGhia 03-13-2005 11:35 PM
Hmm... Angel being Roger's assistant would be a nice twist.

Thanks for posting that extra bit, Krang! All this makes me want a Season Three even more.

BabyGhia
Zopwx2 03-14-2005 12:31 AM
Thanks Krang

If my scenario came to be? So does this mean he didn't get to choose the ending he wanted?

And his endings all seem to revolve around angel injecting herself into rogers life.

Is there anything else of interest?
BethMcBeth 03-14-2005 01:53 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Seebach: [Zopwx2]
Thanks Krang

If my scenario came to be? So does this mean he didn't get to choose the ending he wanted?

And his endings all seem to revolve around angel injecting herself into rogers life.

Is there anything else of interest?

Wow thats a good point it does seem to be that Angel always just sort of pops up in all of the resets and trys her best to pry into Roger's life thats defently a good point!
Ionexchange 03-17-2005 12:39 PM
Since we are on the topic of the last scene, I was just watching it and I noticed something. We have all noticed that Angel looks a little bizzar. I think I understand what it is. It looks like Angel was drawned by someone else and very quickly and it looks like she was overlayed on top of the scene that has Dorothy in it. Now I don't know if the scene with Dorothy is from the original ending or from another episode, but it definitly looks like Angel wasn't a part of that original scene. Did anyone notice it, comments, or am I repeating something already addressed?
Tickle Tickle 03-17-2005 12:47 PM
Personally, I thought Dorothy and Angel were both drawn odd. Infact, when I first saw screencaptures, I thought it was suppose to be a 'realistic' Dorothy and Angel.

Also, something else I've noticed. Whenever we see the 'Flashbacks' we never get a good shot of Roger or Angel's faces. Yet we see Dorothy's. Could this mean something?
BabyGhia 03-17-2005 01:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ionexchange
Since we are on the topic of the last scene, I was just watching it and I noticed something. We have all noticed that Angel looks a little bizzar. I think I understand what it is. It looks like Angel was drawned by someone else and very quickly and it looks like she was overlayed on top of the scene that has Dorothy in it. Now I don't know if the scene with Dorothy is from the original ending or from another episode, but it definitly looks like Angel wasn't a part of that original scene. Did anyone notice it, comments, or am I repeating something already addressed?

I get more hung up on the height difference. Angel is taller than Dorothy but in that scene she isn't.

So I've always wondered why that it.

But both Dorothy and Angel are both strangely drawn. Not really sure.

BabyGhia
SmothPocket 03-17-2005 02:52 PM
Maybe it was the shoes Angel or Dorothy were wearing...lol
Zopwx2 03-17-2005 05:09 PM
I think the height differences is just an attempt to show depth. Angel is just closer to the building....

Although I can't explain any of the other differences.
Fujiko 03-17-2005 05:16 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BabyGhia
quote:
Originally posted by Ionexchange

I get more hung up on the height difference. Angel is taller than Dorothy but in that scene she isn't.

So I've always wondered why that it.

But both Dorothy and Angel are both strangely drawn. Not really sure.

BabyGhia

It's simple: Dorothy is just standing a few feet ahead of Angel, making her seem taller.

Neither of them were part of the original scene in Act 1. That is the major change of the reset.