The Mars Volta

Volt 08-16-2005 09:59 PM
I actually saw it at Best Buy today when I was getting some wireless networking stuff. I just sorta went "meh" because it said it was just live versions of L'Via and Cassandra (although I guess the label was wrong... heh), and I already have the single. Still, it would have been kinda cool if they had done this back when eveyone was, y'know, BUYING the thing. Oh well, can't complain about free stuff, right?
Oh, and I got tickets for the October 2nd Denver show with SOAD. I'm friggin' syked. It'll actually be the first concert I've gone to, so you know, that's cool.
P.S.: Anyone heard Bible and the Breathalyzer? I've heard it, well, sucks... so I haven't bothered to download it, but I was wondering if anyone here heard it?
Zopwx2 08-16-2005 10:13 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Volt
I actually saw it at Best Buy today when I was getting some wireless networking stuff. I just sorta went "meh" because it said it was just live versions of L'Via and Cassandra (although I guess the label was wrong... heh), and I already have the single. Still, it would have been kinda cool if they had done this back when eveyone was, y'know, BUYING the thing. Oh well, can't complain about free stuff, right?
Oh, and I got tickets for the October 2nd Denver show with SOAD. I'm friggin' syked. It'll actually be the first concert I've gone to, so you know, that's cool.
P.S.: Anyone heard Bible and the Breathalyzer? I've heard it, well, sucks... so I haven't bothered to download it, but I was wondering if anyone here heard it?


Yeah I have it.

It isn't really a song per se.... its more like cedric reading some random sh** aloud while the rest of the band screws off in the background and some wierd effects are added.

Its just some lame b-side they did for shits and giggles.
Travis Bickle 08-16-2005 10:56 PM
When has a B-Side from the Mars Volta EVER been good? (besides parts of FTM)
Zopwx2 08-17-2005 02:31 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Bleedthrough
When has a B-Side from the Mars Volta EVER been good? (besides parts of FTM)


What about Ambult.... f***
Volt 08-22-2005 10:55 PM
So I was at Best Buy yet again today and decided to get the sampler majig for the hell of it. Frances the Mute was the same as always (a dull, stale choclatae coating, but delicious something-ness inside... yeah, I'll stick with not using metaphors), but the live version of The Widow... err...
*cringe*
Speaking of which... Bible and the Breathalyzer... well, it had a cool drum ending, I guess.
But anyway, I'm unbelievably pumped for the concert I'm going to. After downloading System of a Down's "Kill Rock n' Roll", I'm assured it will be the concert of the century.*





*Month.
Zopwx2 08-22-2005 10:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Volt
So I was at Best Buy yet again today and decided to get the sampler majig for the hell of it. Frances the Mute was the same as always (a dull, stale choclatae coating, but delicious something-ness inside... yeah, I'll stick with not using metaphors), but the live version of The Widow... err...
*cringe*
Speaking of which... Bible and the Breathalyzer... well, it had a cool drum ending, I guess.
But anyway, I'm unbelievably pumped for the concert I'm going to. After downloading System of a Down's "Kill Rock n' Roll", I'm assured it will be the concert of the century.*





*Month.


My brother went to the SOAD concert and he isn't a big TMV fan, but according to him SOAD rocked hard.
Volt 10-03-2005 10:35 PM
So I saw them yesterday. Honestly, really disappointing. The set list was:
Cygnus
The Widow
L'Via
Drunkship
I was glad to hear Cygnus, but it quickly got old with Paul's intentions to add in every f***ing sample from the album. Also... uh, back-up vocals, anyone? I seriously almost laughed when I heard Cedric during the prechorus:
"...rana nalooooo do you trust". The Widow --- nuff said. I was never really too impressed by the song, and the fact that once again most of the random sound clips from the album were included did nothing to sway me. L'Via was alright. Nothing notable about it, good or bad.
When I heard Drunkship start up, I was just thinking "HELL YEAH". It was going great.... and then...
The 30 minute jam.
Seriously. I was about to fall alseep. They screwed around for literally about half an hour, then finally "ended" the song. As they walked off stage I was thinking, "They're just taking a break, right?". I mean, no way could it have been that short (well, in number of songs. It was actually over an hour). I wanted Take the Veil or at least Roulette Dares. Cedric never spoke to the audience and honestly there was nothing spectacular about the performance.
On the bright side though, System was amazing, and the opening band Hella was impressive. So yeah. There ya go.




Neutral
Zopwx2 10-04-2005 03:38 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Volt
So I saw them yesterday. Honestly, really disappointing. The set list was:
Cygnus
The Widow
L'Via
Drunkship
I was glad to hear Cygnus, but it quickly got old with Paul's intentions to add in every f***ing sample from the album. Also... uh, back-up vocals, anyone? I seriously almost laughed when I heard Cedric during the prechorus:
"...rana nalooooo do you trust". The Widow --- nuff said. I was never really too impressed by the song, and the fact that once again most of the random sound clips from the album were included did nothing to sway me. L'Via was alright. Nothing notable about it, good or bad.
When I heard Drunkship start up, I was just thinking "HELL YEAH". It was going great.... and then...
The 30 minute jam.
Seriously. I was about to fall alseep. They screwed around for literally about half an hour, then finally "ended" the song. As they walked off stage I was thinking, "They're just taking a break, right?". I mean, no way could it have been that short (well, in number of songs. It was actually over an hour). I wanted Take the Veil or at least Roulette Dares. Cedric never spoke to the audience and honestly there was nothing spectacular about the performance.
On the bright side though, System was amazing, and the opening band Hella was impressive. So yeah. There ya go.




Neutral


I feel no sympathy. You should have known before you when in, thats what an MV concert is all about, pointless extended jamming.

BTW: Don't buy Scabdates becuase you obviously don't like the live stuff. (plus omar is probably going to f*** it up in post production).
Volt 10-05-2005 07:29 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zopwx2
BTW: Don't buy Scabdates becuase you obviously don't like the live stuff. (plus omar is probably going to f*** it up in post production).


I was just gonna pirate it in the first place.
Oops. Neutral
But to be serious, the jam wasn't the most disappointing thing. I just thought the whole performance was a little sloppy. It was disappointing compared to the bootlegs I've seen.
Travis Bickle 11-07-2005 11:34 AM
Scabdates is my least favorite album this year, or one of them...

And the worst live album of all time, too.

Too bad I haven't listened to the Volta in like...months.
Zopwx2 11-07-2005 04:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo
Scabdates is my least favorite album this year, or one of them...

And the worst live album of all time, too.

Too bad I haven't listened to the Volta in like...months.


Thanks for sharing.

Its not terrible, but considering you can dload the same shows and about a thousand more for free off the comatorium, it isn't really worth it.
Travis Bickle 11-07-2005 04:05 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zopwx2
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo
Scabdates is my least favorite album this year, or one of them...

And the worst live album of all time, too.

Too bad I haven't listened to the Volta in like...months.


Thanks for sharing.

Its not terrible, but considering you can dload the same shows and about a thousand more for free off the comatorium, it isn't really worth it.


Actually, accodring to Theory, they're taken from several different shows over a period of a year...
Zopwx2 11-07-2005 05:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo
quote:
Originally posted by Zopwx2
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo
Scabdates is my least favorite album this year, or one of them...

And the worst live album of all time, too.

Too bad I haven't listened to the Volta in like...months.


Thanks for sharing.

Its not terrible, but considering you can dload the same shows and about a thousand more for free off the comatorium, it isn't really worth it.


Actually, accodring to Theory, they're taken from several different shows over a period of a year...
Zopwx2 12-06-2005 07:24 PM
quote:
They've already began recording the 3rd record. The drumming is meant to be so so sick... in a literal sense. Jon can't even sustain the stamina during the recording without feeling really ill apparently!

John Frusciante is also on the record. Apparently he plays a really big role! They said 'It's as if he's part of the band now'

Furthermore, theres a little side project to make a Remix album. They've already done the Widow, and speaking to Ralph from Jai-Alai-Savant, he says it's so good, you'll ask why you needed the original!

Also, most of the Mars Volta will be on the new Jai-Alai-Savant album... so I guess that's some collaborative news for you.
Volt 07-16-2006 05:42 PM
So as most Volta fans here know (meaning Zop, Cerpin and me... heh), the new album Amputechture leaked. Not that I pirated it or anything, but I'll just say that the songs that I may have theoretically heard may have been pretty damn good.
I'm really liking everything so far. The long songs are actually mostly music, and good music at that. I'd say Tetragrammaton and Day of the Baphomets are the best songs on it, but most of them are pretty decent.
I really like how each song has a completely different feeling than the last. Basically, cool sh**.
Travis Bickle 07-16-2006 07:05 PM
It's better than FTM. That's for damn sure.
Volt 07-16-2006 08:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Travis Bickle
It's better than FTM. That's for damn sure.


I agree. And I'm glad this is a forum where we can say that without getting lynched.
Travis Bickle 07-16-2006 10:24 PM
Yes. Also, Scabdates was worthless.

Take that, Theory!
Zopwx2 07-17-2006 01:47 AM
1) Which forum would lynch if you if you said amp>ftm?
2) Why would theory care about scabdates.
3) I hated amputechture at first, but now I love it.

Mainly becuase there is a crapload of awesome jams they've got going live that are obviously pretty thought out and none of them ended up on the album as I expected. 4th lp?
Volt 07-17-2006 02:00 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Zopwx2
1) Which forum would lynch if you if you said amp>ftm?


Not any particular forum, I'm just saying I'm glad there aren't a bunch of diehard Frances fans on here who'd chew my ass off if I said anything remotely negative about it.