The Mars Volta

Zopwx2 04-23-2005 07:11 PM
I got there at 5:50 which I thought was late, but by the time we got to in there were tons of people behind us. I got like 5-10 people away from the stage, but I left for the stands before the show started.

1) Becuase I couldn't see sh**
2) I knew the crowd was going to get rough.

Anyway I'm glad because not only could I see them alot better but it was loud enough that you could scream at the top of your lungs and not hear yourself so I didn't miss out.

Appearantly the floor was pretty bad, some broken noses and moshing. Which is unusual for a MV concert.

I loved it when the spider lady background dropped and the footstabs showed up, then later in the show I don't remember when, the footstabs drop and we got this diamond design. I remember they shined the 3 eyed logo on it a during cassandra.

L'Via L'Ive bitches~! Thats the first time they played that one live. It completely caught me off guard and they owned it.

I remember random flute solos. My only complaint is that sometimes the music drowned out cedric's voice.

Afterwards I was deaf, I couldn't speak from singing every song, and my neck hurt from jumping up and down and such, but it was awesome.

But apparently the word is this was one of the lamest crowds for a MV concert in a while. Whatever...

SET LIST:

Volt 04-23-2005 08:17 PM
Sweet dude. It must have been pretty long if they played ALL of those songs. One question, how did Ced do the beginning part of Cassandra (the raspy voice)? DId he just sing it, or was there some sort of effect on the mic?
Travis Bickle 04-23-2005 08:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Volt
One question, how did Ced do the beginning part of Cassandra (the raspy voice)? DId he just sing it, or was there some sort of effect on the mic?

That's what I'm wondering, since the only "new" song I've seen the Volta perform live is the Widow.

Sounds like you had fun though, ZOPWX2. The pictures from the concert look damn good (though it looks like it attracted the emo croud), and I have yet to download the concert from the Comatorium.

May 5th for me in NYC. I was also supposed to see Sparta, but they cancelled the tour due to Paul's poor health. For shame.
Zopwx2 04-23-2005 08:36 PM
quote:
Sweet dude. It must have been pretty long if they played ALL of those songs. One question, how did Ced do the beginning part of Cassandra (the raspy voice)? DId he just sing it, or was there some sort of effect on the mic?

2 hours +

It sounded pretty much like it did on the CD so either it was a recording or they probably used a manipulator on the voice.
Volt 04-23-2005 10:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
[quote]Originally posted by Volt
May 5th for me in NYC. I was also supposed to see Sparta, but they cancelled the tour due to Paul's poor health. For shame.

That sucks. Paul (or Pall Roll Eyes ) kicks ass.
Well, I'm glad you had a good time, Zop. I hope I'll be able to see them the next time they come around here...
...Stupid Fillmore... -_-

Yeah, so I've also been thinking one thing. Do you think TMV will ever do any ATD-I covers? I mean, it seems like they'd rather move forward with new stuff (and it sorta seems like they aren't on very good terms with Sparta, though I'm not sure about that), but I think it would be cool if they did.
Travis Bickle 04-23-2005 10:28 PM
quote:
[quote]Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
[quote]Originally posted by Volt
Yeah, so I've also been thinking one thing. Do you think TMV will ever do any ATD-I covers? I mean, it seems like they'd rather move forward with new stuff (and it sorta seems like they aren't on very good terms with Sparta, though I'm not sure about that), but I think it would be cool if they did.

Probobly not. Even though that Sparta, Cedric and Omar collaborated on ideas together for the upcoming ATD-I compilation, I think that Cedric and Omar put the band behind them.

Though, when they played inertiatic esp at a concert I saw one night, I could have sworn that, during the last part of the song, instead of playing what would normally be played, a short riff from Rolodex Propaganda was being played. My ears could have been playing tricks on me, though.
Zopwx2 04-27-2005 05:12 PM
Volt 04-27-2005 05:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zopwx2
Your Band Sucks: The Mars Volta

haha kinda funny.

The sad thing is, I agree with him on some of it.
Travis Bickle 04-27-2005 06:14 PM
It was funny as hell. But this is also coming from the guy who called Nirvana, Tool, Radiohead, the Clash and the Sex Pistols crap, so his opinion really doesn't matter to me.

Do I agree that there was a bit too much ambient noise on the record? Yes sir. Everything else is pretty much perfect, though.
Travis Bickle 04-27-2005 08:27 PM
Sorry to double post, but big news:

quote:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
THURSDAY, April 28, 2005

SYSTEM OF A DOWN ANNOUNCE SUMMER TOUR
The Mars Volta will be Special Guests on All Dates

What will undoubtedly be a "must see" tour this summer, SYSTEM OF A DOWN
is confirmed to headline its first major U.S. tour in three years, it is
announced today. While specific dates are being confirmed and will be
announced shortly, the band will kick off a two-month trek in early
August that will see them playing arenas in major and secondary markets
throughout North America. It is also announced that The Mars Volta will
join System of a Down as Special Guests on all of the tour dates; a
third act, yet to be announced, will open the shows.

"We're very excited about getting out on the road this summer," said
System's vocalist Serj Tankian. "It's been a long time since we've done
a major American tour, and with The Mars Volta on the bill, I think
we're giving our fans a terrific show."

Two great bands (even though I like the Volta more) on tour together. Kick ass.
Volt 04-27-2005 09:22 PM
quote:

quote:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
THURSDAY, April 28, 2005

Damn, I was just about to post that. But, anyway, thsi kicks my ass. I can't wait. Two of my favorite bands, who I thought didn't even know eachother, touring together. Hot damn.
Zopwx2 04-27-2005 09:28 PM
quote:
quote:

quote:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
THURSDAY, April 28, 2005

Damn, I was just about to post that. But, anyway, thsi kicks my ass. I can't wait. Two of my favorite bands, who I thought didn't even know eachother, touring together. Hot damn.

Yeah I read this on the comatorium awhile back. Its a pretty odd combination. But it sounds awesome.
Generalissimo D 04-27-2005 09:31 PM
GAH! MUST...GO...SEE!
Edit:Looked at the date....holy crap...something weird was BOUND to happen..
Zopwx2 05-09-2005 11:43 PM
Muaha!

I got tickets to Greek Theatre in LA!

But I forgot one part..... I need a ride.

If all else fails I'll drive myself, even if I'm some what of an amateur.
Volt 05-12-2005 09:03 PM
Omar and Cedric. Steven's Untitled Rock Show on Fuse. Watch. Now. GO! NOW!
Zopwx2 05-16-2005 04:39 PM
quote:
Omar and Cedric. Steven's Untitled Rock Show on Fuse. Watch. Now. GO! NOW!

I saw it, or at least part of it.

It was the most uncomfortable interview ever.
Volt 05-16-2005 04:40 PM
Yeah, so that thing on Fuse? It sucked. Omar, as per usual, looked like some spaced out dumbass and acted like a pompous prick, and wore a flowered vest. I mean, what the hell? A vest? FLOWERED?! Cedric was pretty down to earth and had a sense of humor, though. Most of the videos they played were good, except The Widow (what the hell is going on in that video?). They played some ATDI, My Chem, and The Matches, if I remember correctly. The one good thing they said is that they've "abandoned" Frances the Mute and want to create a new project already, which, if anything goes right, will suck less than FTM.
Yeah, I think I'm a little overzealous on my FTM criticisms, but, uh... Omar needs to get back on weed or something.
Zopwx2 05-16-2005 05:27 PM
quote:
Yeah, so that thing on Fuse? It sucked. Omar, as per usual, looked like some spaced out dumbass and acted like a pompous prick, and wore a flowered vest. I mean, what the hell? A vest? FLOWERED?! Cedric was pretty down to earth and had a sense of humor, though. Most of the videos they played were good, except The Widow (what the hell is going on in that video?). They played some ATDI, My Chem, and The Matches, if I remember correctly. The one good thing they said is that they've "abandoned" Frances the Mute and want to create a new project already, which, if anything goes right, will suck less than FTM.
Yeah, I think I'm a little overzealous on my FTM criticisms, but, uh... Omar needs to get back on weed or something.

Omar directed the video for the widow himself.

And he directed the video for L'via too which is coming out. Although its this crappy edited version...
Volt 05-16-2005 05:36 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zopwx2
quote:

Omar directed the video for the widow himself.

Yeah, I know. I guess when you get off drugs you have a sudden urge to make the stupidest thing you possibly can.

quote:

And he directed the video for L'via too which is coming out. Although its this crappy edited version...

Well, I'd like to see if he made it any less awkward. As long as people aren't eating oil, it should be semi-decent.

There was one part of the interview at the beginning where Cedric was talking about Jeremy. I think he was about to cry. It was sad.
Zopwx2 05-21-2005 04:18 PM
They are going to be broadcast via webcast from the KROQ weenie roast along with some other people at midnight pacific time:

http://kroq.com/

1:00 - Webcast Starts
1:15 - Open Air Stereo
1:45 - The Dead 60's
2:15 - The Bravery
2:45 - Alkaline Trio
3:15 - Transplants
3:45 - MxPx
4:15 - Hot Hot Heat
5:00 - My Chemical Romance
5:45 - Jimmy Eat World
6:30 - Interpol