The Mars Volta

R_Dorothied 03-12-2005 10:20 AM
THE MARS VOLTA IS AMAZING. AND 10 X MORE AMAZING LIVE .
Volt 03-23-2005 04:43 PM
I just thought I'd say this and see what other people think.
After a bunch of times listening to both albums, I have to say I think De-Loused is far superior to FTM. After reading up a bit on the plot, I've come to realize I hate FTM's story. Now, De-Loused's story was depressing, but there's one major difference: I have sympathy for the main character. The so-called protagonist of FTM, though... whew. So, he was born of a rape, and now he's a drug-shooting prostitute on a quest to find his mother, and when he finds out his mom is dead, he avenges her rape by raping 25 people?
Now when I listen to FTM, I can't listen to a single song without thinking about how everything is about rape, rape, rape (with a side of extra unlubricated rape) and that I could be listening to De-Loused instead, without getting all the disturbing images in my mind.
In addition, I just think the music in De-Loused is better. Where as FTM seems to rely on what are (in my opinion) half-assed sound effects taped on a random corner of a street in Mexico spliced to sh**, De-Loused gives us some truly original guitar riffs, drum beats, and sound effects that really add to the ambience and don't make my ears bleed. Honestly, the only songs I like any more from FTM are the title track and Miranda.
So, what are your guys' opinions on this? De-Loused or FTM? Or both?

P.S.: I'm not saying I hate TMV now or anything. I just think they could have been done better with FTM.
Travis Bickle 03-23-2005 06:34 PM
As ZOPWX2 said to me, you have to pay no attention to the story. Yes, the story is pretty f***ed up, but it's actually based on a real person/series of events (or at least real through the eyes of some f***ed up individual and his diary, which is supposed to be released on the Gold Standard Labs website any time now.) The music for FTM is so much different than De-Loused, and the riffs are just as complicated (except for "Sarchophagi, which I picked up in two seconds on the guitar, but still has a beautiful sound to it, and is pretty much the theme to FTM). Sure, the ambient sounds that fill approx. 1/50 of the album get redundant and pointless, but that doesn't mean the album sucks (remember the little squeaky noises that lasted for about 5 minutes during Citraz ESP and the noise before Televators?)

Don't forget that De Loused was produced by Rick Rubin and FTM was produced by Omar. There's a very noticable difference between the two albums

So yeah, I like De Loused a bit more than FTM. In fact I think It's one of the best albums ever (along with Aenima by Tool, Mechanical Animals by Marilyn Manson, Revolver by the Beatles, Eat a Peach by the Allman Brothers Band, Relationship of Command by At The Drive-In, Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders of Mars by David Bowie, Siamese Dream by the Smashing Pumpkins, and a whole lot of other cds). Cyngus....Vismund Cyngus is a great track, but not as good an opener as Inertiatic Esp (which remains as one of my favorite songs ever). The Widow is good, but it has become way too popular. L'via L'vasquez is an amazing song, and is probobly my favorite on the cd. Miranda is good, but could have done without the ambient sounds at the begining and end. And Cassandra Gemini is an amazing song (epecially the first part and last two parts). I must say it's almost as good as Take The Veil (Cerpin Taxt), if not the same. The only problem with it is that half the song is based on all the stuff they used to improv during shows I've seen. it still kicks ass.

Also, listen to Tremulant EP. 3 amazing tracks. 6 bucks. Worth every penny.

And please, tell me that the drum solo in L'via and John Friscante's guitar solos in it suck. I dare you.
TanookiJoe 03-23-2005 09:51 PM
My brother likes them bunches. He'd probably be able to add something meaningful to this conversation, but me, no. Tongue
Volt 03-24-2005 12:16 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
And please, tell me that the drum solo in L'via and John Friscante's guitar solos in it suck. I dare you.

Gotta pass you up on that one. I admit, the instrumentation is still great in many parts, but nothing in FTM competes with Omar's guitar in Roulette Dares (after Cedric says the stuff in my sig) or the drums in Take the Veil when you crank up bass all the way, IMO. Well, nothing except the FTM single... but that isn't a part of the actual album, technically speaking. Tongue

I agree that the pointless crap in Cicitraz is retarded. That's probably my least favorite song on De-Loused (I give it a disgraceful 4/5 Red Face , as opposed to the 5/5 for every other song Tongue ), for that reason. I think the animal noises in Televators actually set the mood quite well, though. It gave it a laid-back, gloomy feel, like the calm after a storm... or after somebody plunged to his death.

P.S.: Where can I get the Tremulant EP?
Travis Bickle 03-24-2005 12:18 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Volt
P.S.: Where can I get the Tremulant EP?

Pretty much any place that sells CDs. Try Best Buy or something.
Volt 03-24-2005 12:20 AM
Okay. I just sort of assumed you had to get it off Amazon or somethng because I haven't seen it at Wal_mart. But then again De-Loused was crammed in the middle of some Mario CDs when I found it there, so...
Zopwx2 03-24-2005 06:07 PM
Tremulant / De-Loused / Frances

All great but all a little too different to rate them against eachother.

Deloused is just a bit more focused and straight foward when compared to Frances. They're kind of forcing you to listen to Frances in its entirety every time. But I like it alot, even the noises at the end of the widow don't bother me.

And judging from Tremulant and some live recordings, when they're in control they tend to use the ambient noise, sound effect, jamming route more. So Deloused is sort of the exception.

Either way, I wouldn't tell the MV to change whatever it is they're doing.
Zopwx2 03-31-2005 08:39 PM
Travis Bickle 04-02-2005 04:38 PM
Frances the Mute is at number 48 on the Billboard charts and has been out for four weeks. It debuted at 4. Not that bad for a band with such an underground following behind them. No matter how much the sales go downhill/suck, it's still a kick ass album.

But De-Loused is a tad bit better (and is still one of the best CDs ever).
Volt 04-04-2005 08:59 PM
You won't believe this sh**.
TMV is going to be in Denver (an hour away from me) in 2 months. I was like "YES". Then I saw that the sh**ty place it's at, the Fillmore Auditorium, only accepts people above 16. And you HAVE to have an I.D. This bites. I swear I'm going to that thing or heads WILL roll.
Next thing I know ATDI is going to kick off a reuinion tour in Ft. Collins, and I'll be out of town. Roll Eyes
Zopwx2 04-04-2005 10:03 PM
quote:
You won't believe this sh**.
TMV is going to be in Denver (an hour away from me) in 2 months. I was like "YES". Then I saw that the sh**ty place it's at, the Fillmore Auditorium, only accepts people above 16. And you HAVE to have an I.D. This bites. I swear I'm going to that thing or heads WILL roll.
Next thing I know ATDI is going to kick off a reuinion tour in Ft. Collins, and I'll be out of town. Roll Eyes

Oh sh** I hope the place I'm going doesnt have an age limit..........but whatever I'm 17, I'll grow my beard out, I'll get in, its the f***ing Mars Volta we're talking about here.
Travis Bickle 04-04-2005 10:06 PM
Check it out. Last place I went to, I was carded.

(Go fake ID that I lost on the subway!)

But yeah, if you miss it, then it's like missing...something really great that I can't think of off the top of my head.

They are the best band I have ever seen live.
Captain Maw 04-04-2005 10:09 PM
well, i dunno about other places, but the bouncers at teh Bowery are really really good at detecting fake ID's. they usually card 21+ for places that are being held in bars, or areas where there are liqour dispensing w/e'ers. but the 16+ ones are just there so that we don't see like, a 12 year old kid body surfing and moshing and whatnot.
Travis Bickle 04-04-2005 10:13 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Maw
well, i dunno about other places, but the bouncers at teh Bowery are really really good at detecting fake ID's. they usually card 21+ for places that are being held in bars, or areas where there are liqour dispensing w/e'ers. but the 16+ ones are just there so that we don't see like, a 12 year old kid body surfing and moshing and whatnot.

The Bowery Ballroom sucks at bouncing. I got into a Marilyn Manson concert at age 15 without getting my id checked.

Besides, the Volta are coming to Roseland. Nowhere near the Ballroom.
Zopwx2 04-04-2005 10:20 PM
quote:
Check it out. Last place I went to, I was carded.

(Go fake ID that I lost on the subway!)

But yeah, if you miss it, then it's like missing...something really great that I can't think of off the top of my head.

They are the best band I have ever seen live.

quote:
The Mars Volta
Rimac Arena - UCSD, LA Jolla, CA
Fri, Apr 22, 2005 08:00 PM

All Ages Welcome

Jess!
Volt 04-04-2005 10:53 PM
Screw it. I'll get my sister to get one of her friends to lend me his I.D, or I'll hide in someone's coat or SOMETHING. I'm getting in that concert no matter what it takes. Freakin' Fillmore... Why can't they just make it so at least one person in your party has to be *whatever age*, like an R-rated movie?
Travis Bickle 04-06-2005 01:26 AM
quote:
Screw it. I'll get my sister to get one of her friends to lend me his I.D, or I'll hide in someone's coat or SOMETHING. I'm getting in that concert no matter what it takes. Freakin' Fillmore... Why can't they just make it so at least one person in your party has to be *whatever age*, like an R-rated movie?

Because, at a Volta concert, there's a lot of drugs. Half of the croud is stoned out of their minds. The music can be kind of trippy, yes, so I guess why it's like that. Smile

Anyhoo, I recently got the new t shirt in:

Volt 04-06-2005 06:41 PM
quote:
quote:

Because, at a Volta concert, there's a lot of drugs. Half of the croud is stoned out of their minds. The music can be kind of trippy, yes, so I guess why it's like that. Smile

That's a given, but the Fillmore doesn't allow any cans, bottles, alchohol, or drugs. And considering that the other shows at the Fillmore don't have an age requirement and the one Zop is going to doesn't either, the whole thing seems retarded. I'm going to have my mom call them and see if I can get in with my sister.
Zopwx2 04-22-2005 04:51 PM
My concerts tonight. Fill you in on it tomorrow.

Its raining now, so it may be a wet wait in line.. eheh