The Ultimate Harry Potter Thread

pen1300 03-10-2005 12:18 PM
I can't believe no one has done this, but since I see this book (I get to touch it a few days earlier...oops, I'm not supposed to tell!) and hear about it from everyone (I haven't read it), I thought there needed to be the Ultimate Thread for it. Yes, I am talking about the series:

Harry Potter.

So, while I slink off because I haven't read it, begin your discussions about past books, the upcoming book[s], and rumors.

Have Fun! Someday I'll read it...when it's not so daunting to look at....o_O

Later,
Pen1300 Cool
angelcakes 03-10-2005 03:43 PM
There was a Harry Potter thread...how 'bout a merge...?

If you guys haven't seen yet, the cover for the sixth book has come out.

You can see it here...
The Fallen Phoenix 03-20-2005 03:51 PM
quote:
Originally posted by angelcakes
There was a Harry Potter thread...how 'bout a merge...?

If you guys haven't seen yet, the cover for the sixth book has come out.

You can see it here...

A very nice cover...I would presume that would be Dumbledore and Potter looking into the Pensieve...

Lots of green, too. Which certainly isn't a bad thing; I quite like green myself.

I must say, the last two covers have been great: easily my favorite two of the series so far. Actually, now that I think of it, I really don't like any of the other covers, save Goblet of Fire : that one was pretty good, too.
BethMcBeth 03-21-2005 03:47 AM
Wow the cover defently looks like fun! I like Harry Potter its a nice story sereis and such and yes I'll admit that I did go to all the potter movies dressed as him too! ^_^"" LOL
Chaoz 03-28-2005 11:17 AM
The Harry Potter books were hell to read through. SO MANY PAGES!!
Mage 03-28-2005 09:39 PM
After starting at the picture for a good five miniutes we hope that the cover has more clues about what goes on in the book then what we can see. Though we both love the way the cover artist does hands.
Harry's face seems off, his nose is diffrent from before, and his eyes seem set to far apart. Dumbledore's glasses look overly small.

And the oddest conversation happened while I typed this:
Sister: You know Dumbledore means something...
Mage: *looks at her questioningly*
S: *Silence*
M: *Stares*
S: Oh yeah I'm sopposed to say something aren't I!
M: *Nods slowly*
S: *Silence*
M:*Begins to worry* Well?
S: Oh it means stupid or uninformed

Yeah I'm not sure about that one but it's an interesting thought Roll Eyes
Lady Tesser 03-30-2005 08:21 AM
Gee, I thought 'Dumbledore' meant 'bee' (at least that's what every obscure name dictionary admits to the word meaning, anyway). 'Fudge' means 'mucking up' (like 'He fudged up the project').

I prefer the British adult cover, myself - quite artistic with the photograph of the potions book.
The Fallen Phoenix 04-04-2005 09:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Tesser
Gee, I thought 'Dumbledore' meant 'bee' (at least that's what every obscure name dictionary admits to the word meaning, anyway). 'Fudge' means 'mucking up' (like 'He fudged up the project').

I prefer the British adult cover, myself - quite artistic with the photograph of the potions book.

If I recall correctly, Albus Dumbledore's name means White Bumblebee...I remember reading about that sometime long ago.

Which always gave me the suspicion that he was an Animagus who could transform into a bumblebee, or another small, unnoticable animal. I don't think it'd be far-fetched to presume he is an Animagus, being as he did teach Transfiguration at Hogwarts before he was Headmaster (when Riddle attended the school).
Lady Tesser 04-24-2005 06:16 PM
Y'know ... what did we really expect of the former-leader of the modern Inquisition Division? *shakes head sadly*

Pope Blasts Potter
Generalissimo D 04-24-2005 06:21 PM
quote:
Y'know ... what did we really expect of the former-leader of the modern Inquisition Division? *shakes head sadly*

Pope Blasts Potter

It could be worse. We could have another crusade...err...nevermind...

Onwards:
How many registered Animagi did Hermione say there were?
The Fallen Phoenix 04-25-2005 05:24 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BigOZ
quote:

Pope Blasts Potter

It could be worse. We could have another crusade...err...nevermind...

...that would be a bad thing? Tongue

In all seriousness, I actually find it rather surprising that Benedict would lash out at the Potter books. I expected he of all people would have recognized the value of literary works and observed the distinction between the literary world and the real world, being as he is a rather learned individual from what I can gather.

Hopefully, and I say this not as a Liberal nor a Conservative but rather a devout (or so I could only pray) Catholic, Benedict will (at the very least) recognize that the Catholic Church cannot afford to alienate or further polarize not only members of other religions, but members of our own religion, too.

quote:
Originally posted by BigOZ
Onwards:
How many registered Animagi did Hermione say there were?

I believe it was somewhere along the lines of seven or so registered Animagi in the last century. Of course, the key word there is registered: we know of at least four more (Padfoot (Sirius--Dog), Wormtail (Peter--Rat), Prongs (James--Stag), and Rita Skeeter (Bug)). Of the four, however, two are dead; that would mean (presuming none of the original seven have recently passed) there are at least nine Animagi wandering the world.

Of course, that presumes none of the registered Animagi from the previous century are still around; as wizards and witches seemingly have longer natural lifespans than the average human Muggle, it may be possible. Just something to consider.
dominusofdeath 04-25-2005 07:09 PM
Which 2 are dead? I know that James is.........
Lady Tesser 04-25-2005 07:12 PM
Read book 5, DoD -

spoiler (highlight to read):
Sirius Black was pushed through the 'veils' by his cousin Bellatrix during the battle at the Ministry of Magic. Rowling says he is dead, and don't expect him back.
dominusofdeath 04-25-2005 07:16 PM
quote:
Read book 5, DoD -

spoiler (highlight to read):
Sirius Black was pushed through the 'veils' by his cousin Bellatrix during the battle at the Ministry of Magic. Rowling says he is dead, and don't expect him back.

That blows. black was awesome.
Yomiko 06-02-2005 02:32 PM
The Saturday the book comes out... I'll be in Minneapolis. Crying So I can't go get it right away. Frown And I'll have to wait untill next Saturday when my mom and I can go pick it up. Crying So I'm bummed but sooo exited!! Big Grin
Generalissimo D 06-02-2005 02:57 PM
GAARGHLLAALMESH!

YOU JUST HAD TO MAKE ME BREAK THE 666TH MARK!

_ _
~

Anyway. Lookie here! THE TRAILER FOR HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE!

THE TRAILER FOR HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FI-YAH!
dancinggummi88 06-15-2005 12:17 PM
i've read the whole series that has been out for a while... ive been waiting for the new one to hurry up and come out.... i remember paying 45.00$$$ just for the last one.... but it was worth it. the whole series is very well written and imaginative, you will not get bored with this book, in my oppinion anyways.....
AndroidZeroX 06-25-2005 01:53 AM
I just finished reading the Order of the Phoenix like literally 15 minutes ago, i was very pleased. It was really good and definetly recommend it. Too bad summer reading will keep me from the 6th book. That trailer was awesome too. Cant wait to see it in theaters.
Xel 06-27-2005 07:42 PM
Since I figured this was the right venue for it, I thought I'd share with you all the WONDERFUL graduation present a friend of mine got me:

Pardon how horrific the color-clash is there. But that was like the first successful knot I've ever made, so. XD AAAAA IT'S SO CUTE.
dominusofdeath 06-27-2005 07:53 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Xel
Since I figured this was the right venue for it, I thought I'd share with you all the WONDERFUL graduation present a friend of mine got me:

Pardon how horrific the color-clash is there. But that was like the first successful knot I've ever made, so. XD AAAAA IT'S SO CUTE.

Thats freaung AWESOME!11one As a Tie Collector. I want that.